SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

38 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Asking for a friend - so do opulant upgrades like this reduce the amount of money that the Foundation has to donate to UND for other things - like education. Is this an obvious move by KEM to demonstrate that she has money to donate but UND isn't going to get any of it until they bow to her whim? 

I think this is fair.  I seems wasteful to replace things in the arena that are still in good shape.  I goes be back to Football Tickets paying for upgrades to the Ralph.  UND made a bad deal on the ticket split, but not sure they has much leverage.

However I don't see this as a KEM vs Kennedy thing.  The foundation has been doing this for years.  Long before Kennedy has been around.

• Upvote 2

The Engelstad Foundation has committed $4 million to the project and the remaining $2 million will be provided from the Ralph Engelstad Arena's long-term repair and replacement reserve fund. 

Wasn't the story at one point from some quarters that the Engelstads would be upset if UND dropped women's hockey?
Seems they had $4 million ... that they chose to spend on electronics, and not to save women's hockey. 

Someone in the media needs to ask Hodgson/ McGarry/Chaves why they are retrofitting this new scoreboard over the old one, simply to keep a logo that is no longer used by the university.  Tom Miller, you better do it because you know Brad won't.  Ask them about the faded logos on the outside of the building while you are at it, and also the general stubbornness in moving on.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, Taz Boy said:

Things Taz has learned while reading through this quality candidate for most embarrassing SS thread ever...

1. Engelstad generosity and REA leadership/vision never cease to amaze me.  Best arena ever.
  2. The Gophers are probably going to pull their netminder in the 1st.
  3. Some Twitter guy Mike McMahon doesn't know the difference between OpEx and CapEx, private vs public funding, or discretionary vs budgetary (non-discretionary) spending.
  4. The NCAA does not care what's under the scoreboard.  They don't care anymore period.  They have new traditions to ruin, schools to shame, and event revenue from which to siphon.
  5. People like to bitch about stuff they don't understand, which doesn't affect them, they aren't invested in, but yet they still benefit from.
  6. This editor has a numbered list formatter thingy.
  7. I still miss Dippin Dots... and Tawny Kitaen on the car hood.

taz

2rsca2.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Has this been brought up to REA with respect to banners?  I know REA added a bunch of old logos during the locker room renovation but would be cool to have the logos that existed at the time they won the banners.

I created a whole thread here right after the 2016 tournament...I'll see if I can shamelessly "bump" it and you can read thru it.  

Scoreboard looks incredible. I’ve seen comments on Facebook about why no women’s hockey when they can spend money on a scoreboard, they don’t know it’s not UND’s money. Now let’s put that scoreboard to good use and get some goals on that board. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Taz Boy said:

... and Tawny Kitaen on the car hood.

Taz Boy, in the back of his mind, thinks to himself: ... here I go again ... 

That said, clearly Taz and Mafia don't know about Tawny after she met MLB lefty Chuck Finley ... :blink: ... the cool kids would say "she done gone cray-cray!"

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The money for the scoreboard is not coming from UND's athletic budget. but for comparison:

• The cost of the scoreboard is the equivalent of the cost of 2-3 years of WIH expenses at UND.
  • The ad revenue generated by the scoreboard will be more than than WIH did through ticket sales and other revenue sources.

Obviously takes the student-athlete opportunities out of play but just puts things into perspective for the people complaining.

The other $2 million will come out of The Ralph’s longterm repair and replacement reserve fund.

I believe this is money that would have been turned over to the athletic department for their budget except that REA chooses to keep it for a reserve fund.  One could argue that it is coming from the athletic department's budget as REA returned less money to the athletic department to pay for this.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The other $2 million will come out of The Ralph’s longterm repair and replacement reserve fund.

I believe this is money that would have been turned over to the athletic department for their budget except that REA chooses to keep it for a reserve fund.  One could argue that it is coming from the athletic department's budget as REA returned less money to the athletic department to pay for this.  

But the athletic dept has no say in how much money is kept by REA or how it is spent. So you can't blame the AD for doing this upgrade "instead" of funding WIH.

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

It’s about time they changed the scoreboard.

I think people are making to much out of the Sioux/Hawks thing.

It’s a great looking board. I do think it’s well past time to adopt the logo and the scoreboard is an obvious place to start. It’s gotta be getting to a level of weird pretty soon for players and students that don’t remember a logo from the olden days. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

But the athletic dept has no say in how much money is kept by REA or how it is spent. So you can't blame the AD for doing this upgrade "instead" of funding WIH.

Agreed.  My point is that it isn't truly all private donations.  REA returns funds in excess of their operating expenses to the athletic department (my understanding).  In effect 1/3 of the money being spent ($2m) would have gone to the athletic department but REA kept it for a reserve fund for things like this.  They have a incredible latitude in deciding what constitutes their expenses in running the arena. 

There's an original price tag $113 million facility sitting there. Having a long term repair and replacement reserve fund in place makes sense. We can argue all day about what size that fund should be. But knowing things wear out I'm guessing the fund should be maintained in the 2-4% of original facility price range. 

That said, I wish there was more revenue to go everywhere. 

• Upvote 1