SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs AA Gameday Thread (SATURDAY)

GoalieMask

Turned it to the DU/Providence game and they just recapped the scores around the country and when the color guy spoke about UND’s come from behind win, he commented how that will greatly upset DU radio guy Jay Stickney. So in addition to getting the win, my night just got that much better hearing that. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Climbing up the pairwise!

Look out RPI, Niagra, and Lake Superior State!

Hah!   Ya know, call a spade a spade.  We are what we are, maybe a slightly above average team (based on there being like 61 or so NCAA div 1 hockey teams), which will be frustrating to fans as at times we'll look like world-beaters while at other times we'll look like Ala-Huntsville, Alaska-Anchorage, etc (the best of the worst, the worst of the best).  That means it will be a real dogfight/challenge to get into the NCAA tourney (which I don't think we will for the 2nd straight season under coach Berry) unless we get hot at seasons end and win the NCHC post-regular season tourney title to gain the auto qualifier.

4 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Hah!   Ya know, call a spade a spade.  We are what we are, maybe a slightly above average team (based on there being like 61 or so NCAA div 1 hockey teams), which will be frustrating to fans as at times we'll look like world-beaters while at other times we'll look like Ala-Huntsville, Alaska-Anchorage, etc (the best of the worst, the worst of the best).  That means it will be a real dogfight/challenge to get into the NCAA tourney (which I don't think we will for the 2nd straight season under coach Berry) unless we get hot at seasons end and win the NCHC post-regular season tourney title to gain the auto qualifier.

There's two parts to everyone's season, conference and non-conference. The good news is UND is currently 6-2-1 non-conference with two more against Canisus (must sweep), so the have the opportunity to finish with a respectable non-conference record. More good news is the NCHC which is always good non-conference record I believe is on track for it's best non-conference overall record they have had overall. IF UND can manage a .500 winning percentage in the conference (which would be better than last year), that will be good enough to make the NCAAs. They've dug themselves into a hole in their conference portion, but there's so many conference games left to rectify that. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, AJS said:

There's two parts to everyone's season, conference and non-conference. The good news is UND is currently 6-2-1 non-conference with two more against Canisus (must sweep), so the have the opportunity to finish with a respectable non-conference record. More good news is the NCHC which is always good non-conference record I believe is on track for it's best non-conference overall record they have had overall. IF UND can manage a .500 winning percentage in the conference (which would be better than last year), that will be good enough to make the NCAAs. They've dug themselves into a hole in their conference portion, but there's so many conference games left to rectify that. 

Good points, I hope you're right...and you might be.

5 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Are we even talking about how bad this team is if the Western Michigan weekend hadn’t happened the way it did?

Like, if we win another 5 games in a row is everyone back on the bandwagon? 

The next 2 weekends will tell us a lot more about this team than the previous 2 did, IMO. 

We win the game we deserved to against Western, then 8-4 would be a decent record.  They really need to get one in Duluth next weekend.

45 minutes ago, AJS said:

The losses coming to Mankato, and Bemidji, which doesn't look quite as bad so far.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Turned it to the DU/Providence game and they just recapped the scores around the country and when the color guy spoke about UND’s come from behind win, he commented how that will greatly upset DU radio guy Jay Stickney. So in addition to getting the win, my night just got that much better hearing that. 

That DU PBP guy is a "tad" over the top. I realize he is a Denver radio guy but when you out-homer Ciskie, that's pretty bad. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

That DU PBP guy is a "tad" over the top. I realize he is a Denver radio guy but when you out-homer Ciskie, that's pretty bad. 

Agreed!  The best part of watching that game was during breaks when their mikes were still on and they had no clue how the OT worked against a non-conference opponent...the one guy was ripping on the other for wearing a salmon/pink sweater.

I am not a hockey knowledge guy, but.  It seems like this team loses its "teamness" and kind of panics at games like this with long stretches of individuals doing a "fling a puck here and another one there" type play with plenty of time to find the open man if a tad of patience was used. I realize things move fast, but we miss excellent pass/play opportunities a lot, and don't appear to need to.

Just my $02.

• Upvote 2