SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

26 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Worst business deal ever.  Regardless, ndsu won't be cancelling a cheap home game against their rival, especially when they already have a destination game scheduled for 2019. If any game is cancelled for an FBS game, it'd be the one on the road in Delaware.

Yup, I am still salty about the specifics of this deal. I am all for playing them but the terms are garbage. If one of my sales reps brought me a contract that looks like this I would immediately reject it and re-negotiate. 

52 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Yup, I am still salty about the specifics of this deal. I am all for playing them but the terms are garbage. If one of my sales reps brought me a contract that looks like this I would immediately reject it and re-negotiate. 

It was important to Bubba for us to play them and we had zero leverage.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I understand and appreciate that but I think the terms are garbage. In 2020 we start playing them every year so was it really worth it?

Not under the current circumstances, but at the time there wasn't any indication that we would be moving to the mvfc.  I would assume Bubba wanted this game to generate fan interest and hype for a team that had none after the Mussman years.  UND football was bottomed out, and we were out of sight - out of mind for casual fans in ND.  It prob wasn't worth it now that we will be playing every year, but I think if we were to stay out west, the contract would have opened the door for home and home games, which NDSU clearly wanted no part of. 

Was defiantly a terrible deal, but I can see why Bubba thought it was necessary, or at least beneficial to the program.  

I do think it was a embarrassing and humiliating contract, however, and if I was deciding, I wouldnt have given our biggest rival their two cheapest home games, probably ever, in the D1 era.  And the first game was the most expensive ticket NDSU had all season - the same will probably be true next year.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I understand and appreciate that but I think the terms are garbage. In 2020 we start playing them every year so was it really worth it?

Was the MVFC deal known at the time this contract was done?  

The optics of them backing out would be a bit of a black eye but it is what it is.  

Take that money, try and get another home game and schedule FBS.  I’m on board for a 12 game schedule next year.  

3 minutes ago, homer said:

Was the MVFC deal known at the time this contract was done?  

The optics of them backing out would be a bit of a black eye but it is what it is.  

Take that money, try and get another home game and schedule FBS.  I’m on board for a 12 game schedule next year.  

No

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Not under the current circumstances, but at the time there wasn't any indication that we would be moving to the mvfc.  I would assume Bubba wanted this game to generate fan interest and hype for a team that had none after the Mussman years.  UND football was bottomed out, and we were out of sight - out of mind for casual fans in ND.  It prob wasn't worth it now that we will be playing every year, but I think if we were to stay out west, the contract would have opened the door for home and home games, which NDSU clearly wanted no part of. 

Was defiantly a terrible deal, but I can see why Bubba thought it was necessary, or at least beneficial to the program.  

I do think it was a embarrassing and humiliating contract, however, and if I was deciding, I wouldnt have given our biggest rival their two cheapest home games, probably ever, in the D1 era.  And the first game was the most expensive ticket NDSU had all season - the same will probably be true next year.

That's my point. This is just me but I do not make deals if I have zero leverage. I didn't like the deal then and I don't like it now. I do understand why Bubba did it but I wouldn't have done it myself. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I am aware that MVFC conference affiliation was not on the table at the time.

I will be buying season tickets this year so that I have priority for 2020. My bandwagon bison fan brother will want to go in 2021 and I will happily charge him a premium for my second ticket :D. Or more likely give it to a UND fan for free.

• Upvote 2

Have often stated that NDSU demanded two almost “free” games to get their backing for the MVFC.  Previously, they had blocked UND’s access to the MVFC under Chapman’s and Taylor’s direction.

USD didn’t face that as USD’s leaders were politicians at the time and could smell rats.

40 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Have often stated that NDSU demanded two almost “free” games to get their backing for the MVFC.  Previously, they had blocked UND’s access to the MVFC under Chapman’s and Taylor’s direction.

USD didn’t face that as USD’s leaders were politicians at the time and could smell rats.

No

• Upvote 3

Regarding contract with ndsu it is as simple as win next year and it was a good deal, lose next year and it was a bad deal.  Thought when contract was signed we needed to win 1 of the 2.  UND is taking it in the shorts financially, but beating them in there own building makes it worth it.  Easiest way the knock ndsu down is to beat them.  The hype will continue until UND proves they can beat them.  Nothing changes until that happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

No

But no explanation.

Chapman wasnt exactly a character that Rebecca of Sunny Brook Farm hung around.  He got where is he by backstabbing his opponents.

At all levels, politics enter into conference politics.  They are rarely one happy family, even when Sanford is tossing moneybags around.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

That's my point. This is just me but I do not make deals if I have zero leverage. I didn't like the deal then and I don't like it now. I do understand why Bubba did it but I wouldn't have done it myself. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I am aware that MVFC conference affiliation was not on the table at the time.

This! Faison should have overruled Bubba and said no to this deal. What good is it to get blown out by FU? It makes us look even worse than we are. It's something that a high school would do.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, homer said:

I'm all for it.  You play the game to win.  I for one think Bubba's confidence is great and can't wait for the game next year.  

My point is that the condition the program was in when Bubba took it over and where NDSU's program was (and is) made it very likely that we would lose both games and probably by multiple possessions. But since we'll be in the same conference soon, I suppose it's a moot point now.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This! Faison should have overruled Bubba and said no to this deal. What good is it to get blown out by FU? It makes us look even worse than we are. It's something that a high school would do.

The game tradition revolved around        Battle for the Nickel    -    UND has a 62-45-3 edge

UND raises the Nickel Trophy in the Alerus Center.

Here's my recollection of what happened, in the summer of 2014.

Bubba wanted to play the Bison, asked Faison to broker a deal.

Faison came back, they will only play us twice, 2015 & 2019 and both in the MP.

Bubba said take it.

Taylor and Faison agreed to terms, NDSU will provide UND $125,000 and $140,000, plus 500 tickets / game & UND to bring its band and cheer team. Bubba smiled. 

Bubba probably knows better than anyone what this game means. He served as as an assistant late 1980s - early 2000s, experienced first hand this super-charged rivalry.

I will use only two memories here, which are only possible if we play:

A turning point sprung from out of nowhere when it was least expected. The incident known in UND athletic history as the “Mike Mooney game” or simply as the “The strip.” In 1993, in the fourth quarter at UND's Memorial Stadium, UND was bracing for its 13th straight loss to NDSU, when suddenly bedlam ensued. UND linebacker Mike Mooney, who, folklore holds was turned down by NDSU in the recruiting process years earlier, stripped the ball from a Bison player and scampered the other way for a UND touchdown and an eventual 22-21 victory over the vaunted Bison.

1998 in Fargo, Greenwaldt hit Kleinsasser on a quick slant over the middle for 77 yd sprinting TD.

In September 2015 Schweigert said , "You have great memories of the rivalry and that's why I feel it's so important for it to be part of our student athlete experience and for our fan base and for our alums."

I hope we play them in September! They have not had a packed house in the MP all season except for the last playoff game and only cuz of CK leaving, this one will be.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The game tradition revolved around        Battle for the Nickel    -    UND has a 62-45-3 edge

UND raises the Nickel Trophy in the Alerus Center.

Here's my recollection of what happened, in the summer of 2014.

Bubba wanted to play the Bison, asked Faison to broker a deal.

Faison came back, they will only play us twice, 2015 & 2019 and both in the MP.

Bubba said take it.

Taylor and Faison agreed to terms, NDSU will provide UND $125,000 and $140,000, plus 500 tickets / game & UND to bring its band and cheer team. Bubba smiled. 

Bubba probably knows better than anyone what this game means. He served as as an assistant late 1980s - early 2000s, experienced first hand this super-charged rivalry.

I will use only two memories here, which are only possible if we play:

A turning point sprung from out of nowhere when it was least expected. The incident known in UND athletic history as the “Mike Mooney game” or simply as the “The strip.” In 1993, in the fourth quarter at UND's Memorial Stadium, UND was bracing for its 13th straight loss to NDSU, when suddenly bedlam ensued. UND linebacker Mike Mooney, who, folklore holds was turned down by NDSU in the recruiting process years earlier, stripped the ball from a Bison player and scampered the other way for a UND touchdown and an eventual 22-21 victory over the vaunted Bison.

Greenwaldt hit Kleinsasser on a quick slant over the middle for 77 yd sprinting TD.

In September 2015 Schweigert said , "You have great memories of the rivalry and that's why I feel it's so important for it to be part of our student athlete experience and for our fan base and for our alums."

I hope we play them in September! They have not had a packed house in the MP all season except for the last playoff game and only cuz of CK leaving, this one will be.

I was there for both games.  What a thrill to see Mooney come out of the pile with the ball.  The crowd went nuts.  If I remember that same game a goal post was tore down.

The Kleinsasser catch.  That game was a see saw scoring game made of runs by both teams.  One minute the Sioux were pounding the Bison and a few minutes later the Bison on a run.  Towards the end of the game Kleinsaaser made the catch and raced past the DB's.  Later the Bison coach is quoted the Kliensasser made a million dollars on the catch.  He did the Vikings trade up to draft him.

I look forward to another turn around next year with a Hawks win in the MP.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I was there for both games.  What a thrill to see Mooney come out of the pile with the ball.  The crowd went nuts.  If I remember that same game a goal post was tore down.

The Kleinsasser catch.  That game was a see saw scoring game made of runs by both teams.  One minute the Sioux were pounding the Bison and a few minutes later the Bison on a run.  Towards the end of the game Kleinsaaser made the catch and raced past the DB's.  Later the Bison coach is quoted the Kliensasser made a million dollars on the catch.  He did the Vikings trade up to draft him.

I look forward to another turn around next year with a Hawks win in the MP.

MP???