SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, Feff said:

The effort is there I'm sure. Bubba bleeds green. However, the skill is not present and there has been major mismanagement. No way, no how should Rudy have ever been the OC to begin with. Him calling plays most games feels like tying one hand behind the back for this offense. 

Every team ever has fans that take issue with play calling and I agree Rudy has had some low points and high points.  Was the play calling really bad today?  I questioned a few but that is normal with any game I watch.  I am not saying it isn't time to make a change but Rudy is the excuse most use for all of UND's issues.  People seem to be in love with Schmidt and no matter what he does it isn't criticized.  The defense last season had the injury excuse but right now they are not consistently performing and a lot of it goes back to coaching and play calling.  I feel bad for the DB's because they are left without safety support the entire game because we play video game defense. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Are there even doubts in the players minds:

I love Brady O., love his heart and his will to win. Love him speaking the truth here.....that statement echoes exactly what has happened in so many games. If we had 11 Bradys on the Field at the same time we would never lose a game!  Well if we also had a Brady O mindset coaching too

6 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

We have never beaten a team that finished the year ranked in the top 15.  Never. Ever. 

Maybe we define being competitive differently. 

This.....^^^^

#bringonValpo

8 hours ago, BigGame said:

That is BS man, do you honestly think the coaches aren't working and trying to win?  I promise you they put in more time and effort than you ever have in your life.  Football coaches put in more time and effort than you could possibly know.  

-You have to be coach Rudolph. 

6 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

We have never beaten a team that finished the year ranked in the top 15.  Never. Ever. 

Maybe we define being competitive differently. 

2015 vs Portland State. They finished #10 in the polls.

8 hours ago, hky said:

Do coaches not hold each other accountable?  You mean to tell me there wasn't one guy wearing a headset today who could have said, "What are we doing?!"  late in the fourth

You are right on and did our AD clearly say someone needs to monitor calls??? There is a breakdown here somewhere......

fix it before we fire/change/hire coaches 

7 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Well one guy that certainly needs to go without any debate is Kostich.  Special teams have been a liability for 5 years, and only seem to get worse.  3 punt blocks in a season is atrocious.

This true.  No excuse for 3 blocked punts.  Cost us 2 games.  Had we won those 2 games are in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

Now that the seasons over, last year we could blame injuries and those heal. How much do we get to blame injuries this year?

I don't see much that says next year will be any better than this year. Everything was set up perfectly for this team to make the playoffs (including transfer QB and Running Back) and they didn't get there.

Are more transfers the answer?

I think any team in the nation could blame injuries to a certain degree but it’s far from the problem. This coaching staff is extremely hard headed and won’t budge from their plan.  That is the problem.  Injuries or not would of changed the outcome this year 

• Upvote 2

Someone mentioned the other UND coaching situation with Brian Kelly effectively replacing most, if not all, of his staff a couple years ago. It worked there; could work here.

Would hate to see a Cedric Case type recruit have an excuse not to come here, and some of the RS and other recruits as well. We all know how many transferred out after Muss was canned. Hate to see the team lose good players in a coaching regime change.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, shep said:

Someone mentioned the other UND coaching situation with Brian Kelly effectively replacing most, if not all, of his staff a couple years ago. It worked there; could work here.

Would hate to see a Cedric Case type recruit have an excuse not to come here, and some of the RS and other recruits as well. We all know how many transferred out after Muss was canned. Hate to see the team lose good players in a coaching regime change.

Would also hate to not be relevant for another five years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

2015 vs Portland State. They finished #10 in the polls.

PSU was rated #16 when UND played them. Granted some teams get better as the season goes along. Unfortunately UND generally isn't one of them.

I’m guessing a complete over haul is out of the question. So who do you keep and who do you fire. Are the position coaches doing their job? Is it just the head coach, OC and DC not are not up to par. I believe all coaches put in the time and the effort, but they just don’t have that “it” factor. So lay it out. Who’s stays? Who goes? Asking for a friend.

10 hours ago, Feff said:

The effort is there I'm sure. Bubba bleeds green. However, the skill is not present and there has been major mismanagement. No way, no how should Rudy have ever been the OC to begin with. Him calling plays most games feels like tying one hand behind the back for this offense. 

History repeats itself. It’s obvious now. It was almost predictable back 5 years ago when the hire was made. Rudolph has NOT been a successful coach nevermind a successful DI coach. 

Same is looking true for the young inexperienced Kostich. 

At a minimum, a change is needed at offensive coordinator and special teams coordinator.

Hell, I would give Freund the chance to call plays the final 2 games to see what he can do.

10 hours ago, BigGame said:

Every team ever has fans that take issue with play calling and I agree Rudy has had some low points and high points.  Was the play calling really bad today?  I questioned a few but that is normal with any game I watch.  I am not saying it isn't time to make a change but Rudy is the excuse most use for all of UND's issues.  People seem to be in love with Schmidt and no matter what he does it isn't criticized.  The defense last season had the injury excuse but right now they are not consistently performing and a lot of it goes back to coaching and play calling.  I feel bad for the DB's because they are left without safety support the entire game because we play video game defense. 

How can you excuse the consistent failure to score in the second half? That’s been a issue for 5 seasons. Rudolph runs the offense - that falls on him. 

Special teams has consistently been bad. One could say it lost UND’s only DI playoff game. It most definitely kicked UND out of the playoffs this season by losing their game yesterday with blocked punt for score, missed XP, repeat kickoffs out of bounds, etc.

OC and ST coordinator needs to be changed. I would also be perfectly happy if Chaves completely cleaned house though.