SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Bubba will be making $205,000 when Valley play begins in 2020.  That will definitely be on the bottom half of the league.  

It would cost UND $615,000 if they fired him in the morning.  Which is why he will be back in 2019.

Neilson at USD makes about $260,000.  Kliemen is around $340,000 I think.

If or when UND hires a new coach in the next few years, the salary will need to be in the $275,000 range.......

Klieman is sitting at $450k right now, and could hit $475k this year with a NC.

Math based off the 2016 contract that's still in force: Base salary of $325k($300k in 2016 with min 4% raise every year) + $25k personal appearance fee + $75k media appearance fee($65k in 2016 with $5k increases every year) + $10k for 8 wins + $10k for MVFC title + $5k for each NCAA home game($5k so far, $15k possible) + possible $15k for NC. He's also got a 1-time payment of $50k coming if he's still an NDSU coach on Jan 5.

A big part of the contract is that NDSU assistant coaches must be paid salaries that are in the top 10% of FCS.

Here's data that's a little old(2015-16 academic year): The average men's HC FTE salary at NDSU was $209k; UND's was $139k. The average men's assistant FTE salary at NDSU was $96k; UND's was $68k. That's men's coaches across the board; football, hockey, basketball, track & field, etc. It works out that NDSU pays roughly 40-45% more than UND on average. It's probably a bit worse than that in football as it's NDSU highest paid sport, and UND's second or third. NDSU's coordinators(highest paid assistants overall) are probably in the $150k range(+/-$20k). While Bubba is almost certainly being paid more, I doubt an offer of $205k would be something to jump at. (The GFH didn't publish the entire contract like the FF did with Klieman's, so a full apples to apples is a bit hard to do.)

Just things for people to think about.

6 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Klieman is sitting at $450k right now, and could hit $475k this year with a NC.

Math based off the 2016 contract that's still in force: Base salary of $325k($300k in 2016 with min 4% raise every year) + $25k personal appearance fee + $75k media appearance fee($65k in 2016 with $5k increases every year) + $10k for 8 wins + $10k for MVFC title + $5k for each NCAA home game($5k so far, $15k possible) + possible $15k for NC. He's also got a 1-time payment of $50k coming if he's still an NDSU coach on Jan 5.

A big part of the contract is that NDSU assistant coaches must be paid salaries that are in the top 10% of FCS.

Here's data that's a little old(2015-16 academic year): The average men's HC FTE salary at NDSU was $209k; UND's was $139k. The average men's assistant FTE salary at NDSU was $96k; UND's was $68k. That's men's coaches across the board; football, hockey, basketball, track & field, etc. It works out that NDSU pays roughly 40-45% more than UND on average. It's probably a bit worse than that in football as it's NDSU highest paid sport, and UND's second or third. NDSU's coordinators(highest paid assistants overall) are probably in the $150k range(+/-$20k). While Bubba is almost certainly being paid more, I doubt an offer of $205k would be something to jump at. (The GFH didn't publish the entire contract like the FF did with Klieman's, so a full apples to apples is a bit hard to do.)

Just things for people to think about.

Well, I doubt an offer of $205k would be made. It likely won’t happen this year, unfortunately, but when Chaves hires his guy for head coach it will come with a higher base salary than $205k. I imagine something around $300k would be the offer, which even your beloved NDSU coordinators would likely strongly consider.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I think Bubba will stay and we will see a new OC and ST coaches.  Chaves might offer some suggestions from is EWU days as OC.  Would they fit with Bubba. Just might have too.  Good Lord we know EWU have been a scoring machine.

But their TOP though....:wink:

I don't think the STYLE of football is the problem. There was a comparison to NDSU a few days ago, and the style of the 2 teams seems very comparable. It's in the placement of the plays, the execution of the plays and the result of the plays that are different. It's the confidence of execution in both the coaches and the players. It is also the ability or willingness to make adjustments during the game to adapt to what the opponent is throwing at you. 

Plus, NDSU, with their history (and not just recent history) gets their pick of the recruits, while Bubba, Rudy and the rest of the UND staff sign players that have no other D-I offers. Not saying these UND recruits are not good, but maybe they are D-II good, just not able to compete on the D-I level. I would be willing to bet that NDSU has as many players playing on Sunday as some of the lower P5 schools, like Minnesota and Rutgers.

20 minutes ago, zonadub said:

I don't think the STYLE of football is the problem. There was a comparison to NDSU a few days ago, and the style of the 2 teams seems very comparable. It's in the placement of the plays, the execution of the plays and the result of the plays that are different. It's the confidence of execution in both the coaches and the players. It is also the ability or willingness to make adjustments during the game to adapt to what the opponent is throwing at you. 

Plus, NDSU, with their history (and not just recent history) gets their pick of the recruits, while Bubba, Rudy and the rest of the UND staff sign players that have no other D-I offers. Not saying these UND recruits are not good, but maybe they are D-II good, just not able to compete on the D-I level. I would be willing to bet that NDSU has as many players playing on Sunday as some of the lower P5 schools, like Minnesota and Rutgers.

bad example bud NDSU has 7, Minnesota has 7, and Rutgers has way more than 7. I find it funny when people start comparing the bison to any P5 team like they are on similar levels.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zonadub said:

UND and NDSU have similar offensive styles but have different schemes and play-calling. Watch and compare the film. No question NDSU also has more talented players, but NDSU runs and calls a legitimate offense.

Rudolph’s formations, play calls, and nuances in coaching (particularly with the QBs in pass reads) are all very amateur and poorly done. 

• Upvote 4

As I watched the team come out flat, allowing NAU to go up 17-0 with a freshman wide receiver throwing the passes, I still had hope.  As I watched the offense struggle drive after drive, I still had hope.  As halftime came, I figured Bubba and staff would fire the team up, change up some schemes, and make a change at QB, I still had hope.  I could go on and on about hope over the course of yesterdays game, and over the past 4 or 5 years.  Well, I finally don't have any hope left.  Apathy has set in for me.  

6 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

As I watched the team come out flat, allowing NAU to go up 17-0 with a freshman wide receiver throwing the passes, I still had hope.  As I watched the offense struggle drive after drive, I still had hope.  As halftime came, I figured Bubba and staff would fire the team up, change up some schemes, and make a change at QB, I still had hope.  I could go on and on about hope over the course of yesterdays game, and over the past 4 or 5 years.  Well, I finally don't have any hope left.  Apathy has set in for me.  

This is the current state of reality, unfortunately.

11 years of D1 FB and this is where this program is at? Embarrassing is an understatement. The move to the MVC won't be kind to this program for at least 4-5 years. The overall talent is suspect......the coaching worse.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

If UND had NDSU play-calling, offensive coaching and game management I think it is very likely this team would be 10-1 and a seed in the playoffs.  I do  also question some of the defensive “play-calling” and schemes, but UNDs offense has deteriorated to the point is is just flat awful.

To me if this was a player problem even close to as much as a coaching problem we would have been blown out in the game even yesterday. 

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

This sounds like yet another argument to move back down to Division II. Sorry, not an option.

Remember when we used to win things around here? Yeah, so do I. :(:angry::glare:

And it is worth pointing out one more time: Chaves did not hire ANY of these coaches and thus owes them nothing. That is something Bubba, Brewster and Jones need to remember. #youareallreplaceable

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

bad example bud NDSU has 7, Minnesota has 7, and Rutgers has way more than 7. I find it funny when people start comparing the bison to any P5 team like they are on similar levels.

NDSU also works with 63 scholarships while those other schools work with 85.  NDSU's football program as ran much more like an FBS program than an FCS programs.  I have a relative who works within the strength program at NDSU.  The difference between NDSU and 90% of FCS programs, including UND, is pretty glaring.  Are they on the same level as P5 teams, definitely some of the lower level P5 teams they are.   

When I saw Bubba defending his decision to punt, it upset me all the more. If you aren't confident on fourth and two, and a play for that situation, then you haven't done a good job putting your players in a position to win!  The fact that you would have had to have an even better play on a short field for a two point conversion if you wanted to tie the game makes it even more puzzling.  If you have that little confidence in that situation, you for sure should have gone for it, to give yourself more time if you missed the two point conversion.  There is no logic whatsoever in Bubba's defense of his actions.

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

When I saw Bubba defending his decision to punt, it upset me all the more. If you aren't confident on fourth and two, and a play for that situation, then you haven't done a good job putting your players in a position to win!  The fact that you would have had to have an even better play on a short field for a two point conversion if you wanted to tie the game makes it even more puzzling.  If you have that little confidence in that situation, you for sure should have gone for it, to give yourself more time if you missed the two point conversion.  There is no logic whatsoever in Bubba's defense of his actions.

Bubba wasn’t confident in his offense because the QB was awful.  Why would he not replace the qb?

Wins against 6-5, 6-5, 4-7, 2-8, 2-9, and 1-9. What a garbage resume for the season.  Status quo can’t be allowed to fly. Will the HC be let go? Likely not. Will changes be forced by the AD? I’d bet on it. Will said HC be onboard with those changes? Stay tuned.  

This would have been a 3-8 squad as a member of the MVFC and that’s generous. 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This sounds like yet another argument to move back down to Division II. Sorry, not an option.

Remember when we used to win things around here? Yeah, so do I. :(:angry::glare:

And it is worth pointing out one more time: Chaves did not hire ANY of these coaches and thus owes them nothing. That is something Bubba, Brewster and Jones need to remember. #youareallreplaceable

Guess I wasn't clear in my post. Not advocating moving to D-II, nor dropping football. Just an observation of who these coaches are recruiting and how they are using them. If they are recruiting project players, they have to coach them up, not put them in impossible positions and then erode everyone's confidence with the play calling.

18 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bubba wasn’t confident in his offense because the QB was awful.  Why would he not replace the qb?

But he still would have had to score on an even harder goal line conversion.  He must have had a prayer that they would turn the ball over, because even if they got the ball back on offense, they would have had to move the ball even further on a punt exchange, based on their field position.  Most coaches have plays in their pocket for situations like that, whether they be trick or otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Not replacing Ket several weeks ago got us to this point and these decisions. Zim/Boltman needed shots long before yesterday

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, sprig said:

Not replacing Ket several weeks ago got us to this point and these decisions. Zim/Boltman needed shots long before yesterday

Yep.  The offense started its slide at UNC.  Kepp has not been sharp in awhile and when combined with questionable schematics and play-calling, we have the result.

1 minute ago, sprig said:

Boltman absolutely needs to be given a legitimate shot at a starter next year, or Zimm.  Maybe if we get a real OC something will change and one of the other guys will get a shot, or Kett will actually be coached up instead of getting worse as the year goes on. 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Boltman absolutely needs to be given a legitimate shot at a starter next year, or Zimm.  Maybe if we get a real OC something will change and one of the other guys will get a shot, or Kett will actually be coached up instead of getting worse as the year goes on. 

Unfortunately Bubba is the one who is ultimately responsible.