SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

On 11/13/2018 at 2:10 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Re:  Bubba being too nice.  I still think about Montana going for 2 against us in 2013 in the 4th quarter to take a 55-17 lead. 

Flip side, UND vs SUU in 2016.  UND winning 45-23 in the 4th decides to kneel on it and turn it over on downs in SUU territory rather than run up score.  SUU gets ball back and attempts to push down the field in hurry-up.  They cheap shot O'Brien on that final drive, effectively ending his career.

This may be the football post of the year. 

On 11/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I skipped a few pages, so apologies in advance if this has all been said before:

• I don't know that UND football has risen to the place where you can fire a head coach and most/all assistants when a team is poised to go 7-4 and MAY make the playoffs
  • The AD is in his first year. This would be the offseason for him to lean on Bubba to make changes or make them himself if Bubba can't or won't
  • I personally admire that Bubba has created a culture where assistants want to stay. Stability is good - to a point - and making changes for the sake of change can just as easily backfire. Bubba and staff have moved a miserable program back to respectability and beyond. That should count for something.
  • Now it's time for the university's board, president, and AD to decide: How good do we want the football program to be? What investments are we willing to make toward that goal, and what level of performance do we demand? Kennedy seems quite willing to make hard choices and Chaves doesn't strike me as a man that's satisfied with mediocrity. Time will tell.
  • Some asked this - but I didn't see an answer: Bubba's contract was extended after the 2016 season, so he's under contract through the 2021 season.

As for me, I want to see a win vs. NAU on Saturday. I want to see UND football continue to progress. Playoffs or not, marquee wins or not, a 7-4 season is good for everyone but the Bubba-haters that already exist. Go Hawks

These are the issues associated with und football.  In year five, a 7-4 ( still could be 6-5 ) season is an average season...or as you said ....”good”.  “Good”=average.  Ten years from now, we will be able to say ....” bubba had some good years...not a single playoff win credited to his name ....but had some good 7-4 seasons”. The fan base shouldn’t be ok with “good” in year five.  Set bigger goals than a day by day motto.  Think big!  Be upset if you don’t win the conference.  Be upset if you don’t make the playoffs .  Be upset if your not seeded . Be upset if you don’t win a playoff game.  Be upset if you don’t reach the semis.  Instead...in year five ....I guess we have to be happy with being average.  

Progression is needed. Been stale too long 

Bubba is in year five....he and his staff have plateaued. A 6-5 or 7-4 record won’t cut it ....playoff victories is what’s needed at this point of his regime.   Time for big boy ball.  Changes are needed 

On the coaching being fired part.....don’t let a “good” 7-4 record cloud reality .....Rudy needs to be gone!!! Period!  Anyone that pays attention to football should be able to recognize that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

These are the issues associated with und football.  In year five, a 7-4 ( still could be 6-5 ) season is an average season...or as you said ....”good”.  “Good”=average.  Ten years from , we will be able to say ....” bubba had some good years...not a single playoff win credited to his name ....but had some good 7-4 seasons”. The fan base shouldn’t be ok with “good” in year five.  Set bigger goals than a day by day motto.  Think big!  Be upset if you don’t win the conference.  Be upset if you don’t make the playoffs .  Be upset if your not seeded . Be upset if you don’t win a playoff game.  Be upset if you don’t reach the semis.  Instead...in year five ....I guess we have to be happy with being average.  

Progression is needed. Been stale too long 

Bubba is in year five....he and his staff have plateaued. A 6-5 or 7-4 record won’t cut it ....playoff victories is what’s needed at this point of his regime.   Time for big boy ball.  Changes are needed 

On the coaching being fired part.....don’t let a “good” 7-4 record cloud reality .....Rudy needs to be gone!!! Period!  Anyone that pays attention to football should be able to recognize that. 

I totally agree - my question is "what in the wild wild world of sports does Bubba see in him?" Bubba just doesn't seem to be able to grasp this - this is why Bubba needs to go - much more for this than not making the playoffs.  

7 hours ago, Irish said:

I totally agree - my question is "what in the wild wild world of sports does Bubba see in him?" Bubba just doesn't seem to be able to grasp this - this is why Bubba needs to go - much more for this than not making the playoffs.  

Rudolph runs the offense the way Bubba wants it run. Otherwise he would already be gone.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Irish said:

Yeah one would think that Bubba would admit to the fail offense...looks like loyalty trumps production.  Bubba is ok with being average 

• Upvote 1

From the Department of Repetition Department: I think we get it that there are some here who want Bubba gone - but what they don't get is that it is not going to happen after this season for numerous reasons. There are a few on this staff where a legitimate case could be made for making changes. The reality is we are on the verge of making the playoffs with a good chance to host that game. The other reality is there are some on here that hope that doesn't happen.  

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

From the Department of Repetition Department: I think we get it that there are some here who want Bubba gone - but what they don't get is that it is not going to happen after this season for numerous reasons. There are a few on this staff where a legitimate case could be made for making changes. The reality is we are on the verge of making the playoffs with a good chance to host that game. The other reality is there are some on here that hope that doesn't happen.  

... verge of making the playoffs for all the wrong reasons.

UND has tried to eliminate themselves from this position multiple times (horrible loss to Idaho, close ugly win vs Portland State), but fortunately the other important FCS games around the country just happen to continue to go UND’s way. 

Are we okay relying on circumstance rather than ability? UND continues to just “luck out”.

I will happily eat crow if UND beats Northern Arizona and can win a 1st round playoff game. My expectations are always playoffs for UND, so, to be fair, I will be somewhat content if UND hosts a playoff game and Bubba gets UND it’s first DI playoff win. We all know that milestone should've happened in 2016.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

... verge of making the playoffs for all the wrong reasons.

UND has tried to eliminate themselves from this position multiple times (horrible loss to Idaho, close ugly win vs Portland State), but fortunately the other important FCS games around the country just happen to continue to go UND’s way. 

Are we okay relying on circumstance rather than ability? UND continues to just “luck out”.

I will happily eat crow if UND beats Northern Arizona and can win a 1st round playoff game. My expectations are always playoffs for UND, so, to be fair, I will be somewhat content if UND hosts a playoff game and Bubba gets UND it’s first DI playoff win. 

The coaching staff has a history of laying eggs in big games at home

• Upvote 1

The baseline goal for this program every year should be to secure a Top 8 seed in the FCS playoffs, thus guaranteeing a first-round bye and at least one home game. That would give us a good chance at winning FCS titles and would look appealing to recruits. Anything less than that is unacceptable (Copyright Goon 2018. ALL Rights Reserved).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, F'n Hawks said:

First question Bubba should be asked after the game: “Is your staff going to stay the same”

If answered yes, Chavez should fire him on the spot

This is pretty much the only line of questioning acceptable at this point. 

We will now see if Chaves is competent as AD.