SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It would be surprising if he DIDN'T end up there. 

Makes sense. Wasn’t there a quote from Otzelberger telling his SDSU players to stay at SDSU and honor their commitments to the university? Obviously he isn’t going to publicly announce that he was going to try to poach any just seems odd to even make the statement at all. 

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

where did they lose their top recruit to?

Probably UNLV but he is visiting Iowa State tomorrow..he was probably one of the best recruits the Summit has gotten, three star from Kansas...Rabbit fans saying a JUCO they were looking at also may end up at UNLV. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, homer said:

We could use a starting 4/5.  Unlikely but just sayin.  

Luckily for UND he would be eligible anywhere except another Summit school. I don't think you would have wanted him as a starting 4/5. He has some talent but is a turnover or bad shot waiting to happen. 

13 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Luckily for UND he would be eligible anywhere except another Summit school. I don't think you would have wanted him as a starting 4/5. He has some talent but is a turnover or bad shot waiting to happen. 

He could still become eligible within the Summit, he'd just have to file an appeal. My guess is it would be granted. That being said, I don't think he fits into what UND currently needs.

He does turn the ball over a lot but he has talent and I think he was misused in Fargo or at least wasn't put in the best spots to excel.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

He could still become eligible within the Summit, he'd just have to file an appeal. My guess is it would be granted. That being said, I don't think he fits into what UND currently needs.

He does turn the ball over a lot but he has talent and I think he was misused in Fargo or at least wasn't put in the best spots to excel.

He didn't start hitting 3's in March so it appeared he was misused.  

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's supposed to be amateur sport but it seems the behavior is more like free agency. 

A major problem for me is that behavior like this pretty much guarantees there's not a single concern for academics.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, nd1sufan said:

I wonder if he will go back home to Augie or USF. Or is he thinking of another D1 school.

It does give NDSU something valuable... a scholarship to use.  

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Interesting. I wasn’t around town for his year here but I seem to recall people weren’t overly high on him or too worried when he left? Looks like he had a pretty successful year of JUCO. 

IIRC, the staff was pretty high on him when he came in and he had a nice run early, but didn't see much of the court as they got into BSC play.  Will be interesting to see how he does at SDSU.… 

36 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I wonder if he will go back home to Augie or USF. Or is he thinking of another D1 school.

It does give NDSU something valuable... a scholarship to use.  

I'm not sure it does. Unless someone is on a 4 for 5 or they didn't use their full allotment this year, they were going to have to do something anyway. They didn't graduate anyone and are bringing in a player next season, math wasn't adding up. 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm not sure it does. Unless someone is on a 4 for 5 or they didn't use their full allotment this year, they were going to have to do something anyway. They didn't graduate anyone and are bringing in a player next season, math wasn't adding up. 

I guess a quick look on Verbals says you are correct.

The last few years changes on transferring have changed basketball for mid majors programs in that they have been weakened by allowing their senior players chance to transfer without sitting out a year has made these senior ball players premium for the large college basketball programs. This rule change has weakened the conferences like the Summit and Big Sky by draining away there top talent to large college basketball programs. Basically mid major conferences are becoming minor league  development teams for these large colleges. I look at  UND had Crandle at Gonzaga team reached elite 8 and South Dakota has Mooney on Texas Tech a final four team both transferred to play on large college team. UND the year before had Carson Shanks on Loyola final four team and Bernstine who went to Washington Pac 12 team. This loss of talent by Summit and Big Sky conferences has weakened these conferences and for sure weakened UND basketball team the last two years. The Kolpack story he had on Forum's sports reporting a year ago on transferring I believe is being played out and what it means to mid major conferences.  All ready were seeing it at other schools in Summit conference who have lost players for next year weakening these teams and making mad scramble to find other players. If they are going allow this sitting out period be waved maybe they should also have it for mid Major schools that can recruit freshman and sophomores from large college basketball schools without sitting out for a year. This would allow these mid major schools chance to take young talent away from these schools without sitting out for a year. We could see then strengthening in the mid major schools with more talent because they could offer playing time without loss penalty for transferring.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ND-fan said:

The last few years changes on transferring have changed basketball for mid majors programs in that they have been weakened by allowing their senior players chance to transfer without sitting out a year has made these senior ball players premium for the large college basketball programs. This rule change has weakened the conferences like the Summit and Big Sky by draining away there top talent to large college basketball programs. Basically mid major conferences are becoming minor league  development teams for these large colleges. I look at  UND had Crandle at Gonzaga team reached elite 8 and South Dakota has Mooney on Texas Tech a final four team both transferred to play on large college team. UND the year before had Carson Shanks on Loyola final four team and Bernstine who went to Washington Pac 12 team. This loss of talent by Summit and Big Sky conferences has weakened these conferences and for sure weakened UND basketball team the last two years. The Kolpack story he had on Forum's sports reporting a year ago on transferring I believe is being played out and what it means to mid major conferences.  All ready were seeing it at other schools in Summit conference who have lost players for next year weakening these teams and making mad scramble to find other players. If they are going allow this sitting out period be waved maybe they should also have it for mid Major schools that can recruit freshman and sophomores from large college basketball schools without sitting out for a year. This would allow these mid major schools chance to take young talent away from these schools without sitting out for a year. We could see then strengthening in the mid major schools with more talent because they could offer playing time without loss penalty for transferring.

It appears a vote on restricting Graduate Transfers will be taking place in a few weeks.  Geno was quoted in the article as well as Matt Mooney from USD.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/ncaa-final-four-graduate-transfers.html

2 hours ago, dmksioux said:

It appears a vote on restricting Graduate Transfers will be taking place in a few weeks.  Geno was quoted in the article as well as Mike Mooney from USD.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/ncaa-final-four-graduate-transfers.html

Too bad they didn't dig a little deeper for the rest of Gino's story - after four years of school his having to pass 16 credits in a summer to graduate doesn't seem like someone who is interested in a graduate program.