SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

You are going great just trying to figure it out. I know which two are 1&2, but not the order. After that it becomes very complicated.

I appreciate the compliment. It is a straight cluster now 3-6.  It makes the final week interesting for sure.  Honestly, Omaha beating UND will make a lot of this easier to figure out.   

After Wed/Thurs Action

The locks

UND is a 6 seed

Fort Wayne is a 7 seed

Winner Take All game:

The WIU/DU winner on Saturday will be the 8 seed

The Top Seed

An NDSU win over Omaha gives them the #1 seed.

An NDSU loss gives SDSU the #1 seed

The Mess in the Middle (Depending on Results) 

USD can be a 3 or a 4 seed

Omaha can be a 3,4 or 5 seed

ORU can be a 4 or a 5 seed

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

NDSU earned the top seed in the #SummitMBB Championship for the first time since 2014.

Someone has to take down the Bison.  We can't let them win the football national championship AND go to the big dance.

It is going to be an interesting tourney.   Denver will be a nice test right out of the gate, the young Pios are playing a lot better and will be a tougher matchup instead of WIU.  

Not a slam dunk that NDSU will win it, but they have the experience of last year. 

ORU is talented enough to win the whole thing, but inconsistent enough to lose against Omaha.  

USD has the talent in their starting 5... but bench will be an issue and trying to win 3 games in 3 days with a short bench will be tough.  

SDSU has to answer this question: Will Wilson be healthy?  

As for our squad.... Could they stun USD in the first round?  They have a chance to do it, I wouldn't dismiss it.  However it is more than likely a one and done situation and even if they beat USD, I don't see them getting past SDSU.

It would take a LOT for UND to be playing on Tuesday Night

4 hours ago, Kab said:

I think we are a team others don’t want to play in the tourney

i look for Stewart to take the first game over and get in the head of Peterson 

Marlon has played big in conference tournaments (see MSU in 2017).  

IF UND is going to make a magic run though... Rebraca, DAE and Walter need to deliver and somehow, UND needs a bench person to step up.  Now if Marlon wants to Kemba Walter the bit... I'm okay with that too, but he cannot go overboard.  

I'm excited to see what enfolds in Sioux Falls.  Made the decision tonight that I am going to go down and see the Summit Tourney for myself for the very 1st time. 

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

IF UND is going to make a magic run though... Rebraca, DAE and Walter need to deliver and somehow, UND needs a bench person to step up.  Now if Marlon wants to Kemba Walter the bit... I'm okay with that too, but he cannot go overboard.  

I'm excited to see what enfolds in Sioux Falls.  Made the decision tonight that I am going to go down and see the Summit Tourney for myself for the very 1st time. 

Have fun! I went to the championship game a few years back and it was a blast granted it was USD vs SDSU so the place was packed. 

7 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm thinking that is why DAE is coming off the bench for scoring.  Walter and DAE can't get in foul trouble.

16 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I went last year and had a blast.  Will be there again this year.  Last year was interesting  because the SDSU men got knocked out in the first game (first time an 8 ever beat a 1).  We had horrible purchased seats, but sat pretty much wherever we wanted for entire tournament after SDSU was knocked out.  SDSU fans were literally giving away tickets for the final session on Tuesday.  I was pretty disappointed in complete lack of any UND fans at the tournament (other than maybe a few family members).

40 minutes ago, Kassonvike said:

I was pretty disappointed in complete lack of any UND fans at the tournament (other than maybe a few family members).

UND needs to concentrate its efforts to be Summit contenders.  This is one the best mid-major tournament atmospheres, and we should be striving to be a part of it.  I've been waiting for a year where UND has a decent shot at winning it to experience it myself.  This weekend would actually be ideal, because you could do hockey on Friday and Saturday in Omaha, and BB on Sunday night in Sioux Falls.

31 minutes ago, Kassonvike said:

I went last year and had a blast.  Will be there again this year.  Last year was interesting  because the SDSU men got knocked out in the first game (first time an 8 ever beat a 1).  We had horrible purchased seats, but sat pretty much wherever we wanted for entire tournament after SDSU was knocked out.  SDSU fans were literally giving away tickets for the final session on Tuesday.  I was pretty disappointed in complete lack of any UND fans at the tournament (other than maybe a few family members).

I've been reminded by clients, friends and family...that we are a "hockey" school. Heck you can hardly find the UND v SDSU home game on a TV at Buffalo Wild Wings in Grand Forks (and they have how many tv's in that place?).  The local businesses don't even seem to want to even try care anymore.... it appears.    

I tell friends family and clients that I remember when we were an "everything" school, great atmosphere in the Hyslop, traveled well to NCC venues and tournament games.  My wife says that I must be mis-remembering, but I told her that she's too young to remember  those days, as she was just a kid.  That always gets me back in her good graces,. For a little while anyway.  

Those days are sadly long gone.   Not sure what can be done to change it.  Sioux Falls is really not much longer a drive than Twin Cities..but for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much interest from anyone who wants to make the trip from around here.   I realize that we are underdogs, but that can be part of the fun.  

18 minutes ago, the green team said:

I've been reminded by clients, friends and family...that we are a "hockey" school. Heck you can hardly find the UND v SDSU home game on a TV at Buffalo Wild Wings in Grand Forks (and they have how many tv's in that place?).  The local businesses don't even seem to want to even try care anymore.... it appears.    

I tell friends family and clients that I remember when we were an "everything" school, great atmosphere in the Hyslop, traveled well to NCC venues and tournament games.  My wife says that I must be mis-remembering, but I told her that she's too young to remember  those days, as she was just a kid.  That always gets me back in her good graces,. For a little while anyway.  

Those days are sadly long gone.   Not sure what can be done to change it.  Sioux Falls is really not much longer a drive than Twin Cities..but for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much interest from anyone who wants to make the trip from around here.   I realize that we are underdogs, but that can be part of the fun.  

I started college in 90.  I have vivid memories of sitting a few rows behind visitor bench at Hyslop, letting them have it, doing anything we could to try and get in there heads (yea, I was young and stupid at the time).  Vonesh, Guldseth, Gardner, Burkett.  I can still vividly see Burkett literally jumping over some D3 dude right in front of us and then letting the entire visitor bench know it as he ran buy.  LOL, very over the top, but fun.  Seemed like they won every game by 15 or more points.  Coming from a very small, class B, town in ND, it was the first time I had seen athleticism like that in person.

31 minutes ago, the green team said:

Heck you can hardly find the UND v SDSU home game on a TV at Buffalo Wild Wings in Grand Forks (and they have how many tv's in that place?).  The local businesses don't even seem to want to even try care anymore.... it appears.

It really has gotten bad.  I was in JL Beers IN GRAND FORKS on a home game football Saturday, and had to ask them to change one of the TVs to our game.  Part of the problem (and this has been an opinion of mine for a long time) is that the Ralph is too big and fancy.  Too many people became interested in going to hockey, and as they spent their time and money on hockey, they stopped spending it on other sports.

44 minutes ago, the green team said:

My parents used to ride a bus to away games.  Most of the people now are so old that even getting to the Betty is trying or they have died.

Winning in basketball and football can change it.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

My parents used to ride a bus to away games.  Most of the people now are so old that even getting to the Betty is trying or they have died.

Winning in basketball and football can change it.

That was the big culture shock to me when I was there:  the core of the fan base was... old.

There wasn't a lot of people my age at basketball games. 

If I still lived in GF or was close enough, i'd probably would have season tickets.  

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

That was the big culture shock to me when I was there:  the core of the fan base was... old.

There wasn't a lot of people my age at basketball games. 

If I still lived in GF or was close enough, i'd probably would have season tickets.  

Your postings here make the fan base younger and more informed.

One reason that I wanted Jones gone is he didn't reach out to younger people.  Sather seems to try 

• Upvote 1

So I was browsing around bisonville and saw a thread where they were arguing over who will win the Summit MVP, Shahid or Ward.  There was some mention of Wilson being in the conversation.  Is Marlon Stewart not in the conversation?  Looking at his conference stats I don't see how he couldn't be.  He is second in scoring, 1st in assist by a WIDE margin, and top 10 in rebounds.  And if you want to talk most valuable player, UND can't even run the offense when he's not on the court.  (not that we should be proud of that)

1 minute ago, Kassonvike said:

So I was browsing around bisonville and saw a thread where they were arguing over who will win the Summit MVP, Shahid or Ward.  There was some mention of Wilson being in the conversation.  Is Marlon Stewart not in the conversation?  Looking at his conference stats I don't see how he couldn't be.  He is second in scoring, 1st in assist by a WIDE margin, and top 10 in rebounds.  And if you want to talk most valuable player, UND can't even run the offense when he's not on the court.  (not that we should be proud of that)

I see your point but the team finishing 6th isn't going to help him.  

20 minutes ago, Kassonvike said:

18 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I see your point but the team finishing 6th isn't going to help him.  

Pretty much the reason right here.  Now had they won those two game last week and finished third... he would have more of a chance.

He will be 1st team All-Summit However.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Marlon 1st team

Rebraca - Honorable mentioned.

DAE did NOT make all newcomer team.... I’m really surprised by this

Rebraca had to have been really close to 2nd team - I know he was HM but he had a pretty damn good year