SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

Summit League MBB

What is the percentage of players finishing their career at these large schools that go on to play professional basketball someplace after college. My guess it pretty high with NBA, G league, and overseas basketball in Europe and pacific regions my guess majority of these athletes do try playing professional basketball. I think for lot these players there career interests is basketball and what ever there degrees after that are there secondary plans after they are done with basketball. I don't know if these are wises choices but it is dreams of young men that they have wanted since they were very young.

NCAA wants to control these individuals and so do colleges all while using them to make money for themselves with only thing in return for these players is a college degree. This is nothing  compared to what administrators, coaches, and media make off these young individuals and here lies the problem of making this more equitable for college athlete in these high profile sports. Don't tell me there is not money in these sports for large universities when coaches are being paid in the millions per year and look what the media is paying to televise college sports. I just think there has to be ways for smaller schools and players interests to be set up where they are treated equitably but its going to cost to do this and in here lies the problem. But for example look at college basketball team has 15 scholarships and say the cost of scholarship is $50,000. per scholarship or $750,000.. dollars total cost but then look here we have coach alone making probably $3,000,000. dollars the players are only getting 25% of what coach is getting in education and still no cash money for themselves to spend. Then you put restrictions on the players once they decide where to play making them virtual under school and coach control once they sign to be with that school. Also if coach leaves they are still under control by that school unless they are given a release and then again they have to sit a year before they can play elsewhere but coach can leave and go on to next place to coach with next school picking up the cost to pay other school. The scholarship programs work much better at small schools and not division I schools because value being received by players is much more equitable to that what schools are receiving and coaches and administrators are receiving. Also the money coming into sports is much less so the system is much fairer at these levels. So how do solve these problems and still be equitable for all and I don't think anyone has plan that everyone could get around and support.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ND-fan said:

So how do solve these problems and still be equitable for all and I don't think anyone has plan that everyone could get around and support.

Easy: Take all athletics out of educational institutions. 

Let schools be schools, and not minor leagues, again. 

On 4/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Yotes are next to get hit pretty hard with the transfer bug. 

Umude tweeted this morning that he decided to stay at USD.

7 hours ago, teamsioux said:

Umude tweeted this morning that he decided to stay at USD.

Interesting:  Good for USD. 

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/2708960-Meidinger-ends-his-playing-career-for-NDSU-mens-basketball

Meidinger hangs them up before ever getting a chance to play minute for NDSU. Not a huge surprise given his injury history but tough break for a ND kid. 

Bummer. Still waiting patiently for a ND kid to kill it for the Herd.

7 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Bummer. Still waiting patiently for a ND kid to kill it for the Herd.

I mean, I didn't think he looked the part but that Werner kid seemed to turn out OK....

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, I didn't think he looked the part but that Werner kid seemed to turn out OK....

Oh my goodness I forgot about my boy Dex.