SiouxSports.com Forum

Downtown Grand Forks

Cratter

On 5/17/2022 at 11:18 PM, gfNDfan said:

The car wash on 17th and Columbia (Old Hardees) is in the same weird state of construction LIMBO -- nothing happening there either.

The strip mall with House of Punjab/Noodles/Erbs and Gerbs has some new construction going on cutting their parking lot in half - guess what it is?

ANOTHER STRIP MALL in the least shocking news of all time.   Just what GF needs...now with LESS parking for businesses what don't move in.  Perfect!

51ga50.jpg

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

The old Golden Corral is just now starting to get tenants after how many years?  

It could have been filled much sooner. Owners wanted a strong anchor tenant and were fine holding out until they found one they were comfortable with. They didn't want to haphazardly and pre-emptively section it off until then, though I would guess it took longer than they planned. Midco was probably worth the wait.

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It could have been filled much sooner. Owners wanted a strong anchor tenant and were fine holding out until they found one they were comfortable with. They didn't want to haphazardly and pre-emptively section it off until then, though I would guess it took longer than they planned. Midco was probably worth the wait.

Actually the owners sold the building to ritterman and ritterman filled it

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Actually the owners sold the building to ritterman and ritterman filled it

You are correct, that is what ended up eventually happening.
Wheels for the main tenant were in place prior to that though.
My main point was that it could have been filled sooner, but the owner at the time was looking for the "right" tenants, which is why it sat vacant for so long, not strictly because of a lack of interest in the space.

18 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Amen. 

There are lunar craters jealous of the size of some of the potholes in front of PetSmart.  Come to think of it, the lot near Petco is utter dog s#!t, too.

That solves it! GF hates your pets. And your vehicle's suspension. 

Those r private roads , not controlled by the city. Land owner is responsible 

14 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

Those r private roads , not controlled by the city. Land owner is responsible 

I meant GF in the community sense, not the municipal one. The thread is pretty clear that we're talking about local parking lots and private property. Had I wanted to rag on the City of Grand Forks, I would have been more explicit.  :)

19 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

That's exactly it - I don't have a problem with building strip malls I have a problem with how they can't fill them.   The old Golden Corral is just now starting to get tenants after how many years?  

Weird problem for you to have. Im glad that strip mall is there and I can go to Jimmy John's in that new location.

I don't think twice seeing a newer building not yet 100% full of tenants. 

Big box and malls are not the norm nowadays. And only big money chains can afford to build standalone.

Strip malls are how a mom and pop bully brew, helix wine and bites can have a business.

Unless you’re a tax collector or a commercial leasing agent, “development” is not alone going to move the needle, and certainly not in terms of quality of living.  Regular citizens need things to be excited about (more than future property tax revenue).  More services.  More places to shop, and eat.  Better parking, and road access.  Variety.  Quantity.  

Complaints here are mostly well-intentioned, and reflect people who are looking for meaningful QOL improvements.  Empty storefronts (whether dilapidated or brand new strips) do matter.  And no matter what, GF feels stagnant to many of us who take note of what ordinary commerce has to offer.

20 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

drop a 10 story tall condo right in the middle of the old dayton's and rest of it used for indoor parking.........then the old sears could be an imax....

4 anchors....condos, imax, scheels, and jc pennys

How about getting a Costco to come to town and renovate either the Macy's or Sear's building to fit their needs.  Plenty of room for parking and a gas station.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

How about getting a Costco to come to town and renovate either the Macy's or Sear's building to fit their needs.  Plenty of room for parking and a gas station.

We only want foreign companies!!!

fu feng

aldis

etc

On 5/18/2022 at 9:25 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the jimmy johns on washington and 11th....2/3 empty for years now.

Ate there other day and seems like rest of building is being used as some sort of office space.

On 5/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, gfhockey said:

We only want foreign companies!!!

fu feng

aldis

etc

Seems like "American" companies like Hornbachers, Sickies, et al came then bailed out on GF at the first opportunity.   !@#$ them!   Aldi operates thousands of grocery stores all around the world - they've figured it out.   Sure it's not a place you get all the staples all the time but they have great deals at a significantly lower price - and their brands have proven to be very good.   Give them a shot.  Sure it's a little rough to figure out you have to put a quarter in a slot to "rent" a cart but you get it back at the end.   Euro-shopping culture isn't hard - you just have to adapt.  We still shop Hugo's for 80% of our groceries but it's nice to have options not generally available to us and at a discount no less.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Cratter said:

Gfhockey is just stirring the pot. 

He's not meant to be taken seriously.

So he's the Woody Woodpecker of SS???  An instigator?:silly: 

PS - he probably wouldn't hate that nickname because he'd think we're talking about his penis

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Glad there will be 80+ new hotel rooms downtown Forks 

Olive Ann boutique hotel holds groundbreaking in downtown Grand Forks

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/olive-ann-boutique-hotel-holds-groundbreaking-in-downtown-grand-forks

Very cool project and many thanks to Mr. Gisi for an investment for downtown Grand Forks that comes from the heart because he loves this community.   It will be an amazing asset - and another building block to the goal of an amazing vibrant downtown.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Glad there will be 80+ new hotel rooms downtown Forks 

Olive Ann boutique hotel holds groundbreaking in downtown Grand Forks

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/olive-ann-boutique-hotel-holds-groundbreaking-in-downtown-grand-forks

I just don't understand the philosophy of the room layouts. The best rooms in the building have large banks of windows with views of only the back alley/parking lot. All of the regular suites have sitting rooms with no windows at all, and they're right over either the restaurant kitchen or bar(likely noise issues). The corners would be the best spots for the nicer suites, but they're using all but one of them for single king rooms. And in all the different suites, the bathrooms are near the entrances to the rooms rather than off of the bedrooms. Plus, all the bathrooms are a single room with a single sink; even the only bathrooms in the nicest two-bedroom VIP suites(instead of double sinks and separating parts of the bathroom off so multiple people can use it at the same time). It just doesn't make any sense compared to typical high end hotel room layouts.

8 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

I just don't understand the philosophy of the room layouts. The best rooms in the building have large banks of windows with views of only the back alley/parking lot. All of the regular suites have sitting rooms with no windows at all, and they're right over either the restaurant kitchen or bar(likely noise issues). The corners would be the best spots for the nicer suites, but they're using all but one of them for single king rooms. And in all the different suites, the bathrooms are near the entrances to the rooms rather than off of the bedrooms. Plus, all the bathrooms are a single room with a single sink; even the only bathrooms in the nicest two-bedroom VIP suites(instead of double sinks and separating parts of the bathroom off so multiple people can use it at the same time). It just doesn't make any sense compared to typical high end hotel room layouts.

I recall the developer saying it was a risky investment.  :crazy:

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I wonder what the thread count will be too?!

Sheets and pillow cases can be easily replaced. Walls and plumbing? Not so much. When you're building a boutique hotel(i.e. expensive as !@#$), it's kind of important to get the details right. If I'm spending serious money to stay with three others in a two bedroom VIP suite, I'm not going to appreciate sharing one bathroom in the morning. If I'm staying alone in an expensive one bedroom suite, I'm not going to appreciate waking up and having to cross the entire suite to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night or in the morning. If I'm putting down the cash for the best room in the building, I'm expecting one of the best views, not the worst. I'm not going to appreciate paying that money only to open the room door the first time and find I'm looking at a parking lot or the back side of another building(or no view at all since one of the two bedrooms in the VIP suites don't have any windows at all).

If the rooms are simply fancier versions of the same rooms you find at the local Super 8, why not just go there and spend Super 8 money instead?

https://www.grandforksgov.com/home/showpublisheddocument/41954/637749313846970000

3 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Sheets and pillow cases can be easily replaced. Walls and plumbing? Not so much. When you're building a boutique hotel(i.e. expensive as !@#$), it's kind of important to get the details right. If I'm spending serious money to stay with three others in a two bedroom VIP suite, I'm not going to appreciate sharing one bathroom in the morning. If I'm staying alone in an expensive one bedroom suite, I'm not going to appreciate waking up and having to cross the entire suite to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night or in the morning. If I'm putting down the cash for the best room in the building, I'm expecting one of the best views, not the worst. I'm not going to appreciate paying that money only to open the room door the first time and find I'm looking at a parking lot or the back side of another building(or no view at all since one of the two bedrooms in the VIP suites don't have any windows at all).

If the rooms are simply fancier versions of the same rooms you find at the local Super 8, why not just go there and spend Super 8 money instead?

https://www.grandforksgov.com/home/showpublisheddocument/41954/637749313846970000

I’m confused what floor are these multi room suites on?

3 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

If the rooms are simply fancier versions of the same rooms you find at the local Super 8, why not just go there and spend Super 8 

Guess I'll wait to do a cost benefit analysis once I see the costs and benefits.