SiouxSports.com Forum

Downtown Grand Forks

Cratter

On 6/20/2023 at 11:46 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yep...thought you meant a different hotel than the townhouse...the beacon is built where the townhouse used to be...

Have not been in Grand Forks for some time.  Not since my last child graduated from UND.  Is the Townhouse Motor Inn still in operation?  Seems like just yesterday I started as a freshmen student at UND. Moving off campus and shopping at my corner store at First Avenue North and Washington.  It was a Hugo’s store and I also met Hugo himself who was very elderly and carefully stocking shelves.  I saw that lot become the Townhouse Motor Inn and I was there on the opening day as the first night auditor.  Enjoy your time at UND and your time in Grand Forks, time and life go by quickly.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

For a cookie store?
Or are they going to be the bakery for other storefronts in the region? 

--Excert from the Herald article on Crumbl.--

The Powells started to work on acquiring a franchise about 10 months ago. It will be more than a year of planning when the business opens. They plan to hire about 70 workers.

“When you first open, you’re just that busy,” Powell said. “You have to have that coverage to make 4,000 to 5,000 cookies a day.”

Just now, Green Banner said:

The Powells started to work on acquiring a franchise about 10 months ago. It will be more than a year of planning when the business opens. They plan to hire about 70 workers.

“When you first open, you’re just that busy,” Powell said. “You have to have that coverage to make 4,000 to 5,000 cookies a day.”

are the "Powells" local?

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

can stores that cater to one thing make it today...the soap place by lowes, crumbl cookie, and this one going up downtown next to bonzers?

PXL_20230919_010135684.jpg

Grand Forks can barely sustain two sandwich shop chains, and a whole lot more people eat lunch regularly than overpriced cookies. 

No way Crumbl and Insomnia both make it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Only thing they have going for them is that they cater to slightly different demographics and are nowhere near each other.
Real Good Cookies seems to be doing OK, wonder how they will fit into it all.

However it turns out you can say "THAT'S HOW THE COOKIE CRUMBLES!"  (cue: rimshot)

(also cue: Cricket Noises)

Thanks!  I'll be here all...oh f*ck it

Some other interesting recent adds to the GF food scene:

-- NautiBowls - too much for a dessert, lunch?-okay I guess.   Mix it up and it's good but SUBSTANTIAL.   Go for a small when you try it the first time.   HORRIBLE location in the myriad of empty strip mall spots in GF.   Lots of bad puns about being "Nauti" for the workers - we get it but ugghhh.

-- Tropical Cafe - decent and a much better location.   Smoothie was good but also substantial.  We'll see.... 

I'm always surprised how well these herbalife/nutrition shake places do.

If you're a guy you likely don't even know they exist.

And there's like 3 or 4 or more in gf. 

Couldn't tell ya. I'm a guy.

Did see one closed (energ nutrition).

Keeping with the downtown theme of this thread. There is one downtown: Impact Nutrition.

On 9/19/2023 at 1:32 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Grand Forks can barely sustain two sandwich shop chains, and a whole lot more people eat lunch regularly than overpriced cookies. 

They are far enough apart that they can both make it if they did a good job of planning 

doubt someone who wants cookies will drive to the other side of town to buy them

i hope it draws more people to those parts of town 

sell them at sporting events, if you can get $9 for a beer cookies would be a better deal