SiouxSports.com Forum

Downtown Grand Forks

Cratter

On 5/31/2022 at 10:59 AM, gfhockey said:

He’s been pretty sick last few years

Yeah I've heard that too.   Too bad.  Rock solid leader at a tough time for his town - he did a hard job very well - not perfect but who could be in that situation.  He can always be proud of how he turned a catastrophe into opportunity that now includes a Food Network Star saving an iconic EGF landmark...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/molly-yeh-officially-announces-new-restaurant-bernies-in-whiteys-underground-building

So great to see! 

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Yeah I've heard that too.   Too bad.  Rock solid leader at a tough time for his town - he did a hard job very well - not perfect but who could be in that situation.  He can always be proud of how he turned a catastrophe into opportunity that now includes a Food Network Star saving an iconic EGF landmark...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/molly-yeh-officially-announces-new-restaurant-bernies-in-whiteys-underground-building

So great to see! 

yeah rock solid - you mean like forgetting to repay the city back on a 500,000.00 loan?  Solid.

45 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Wahpeton/Breckenridge 

Portal, Nd is in US and Canada 

9th hole takes an hour to land your tee shot, tee off in Canada and lands in the US, I believe other holes are in Canada, been years since I golfed there.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Portal, Nd is in US and Canada 

9th hole takes an hour to land your tee shot, tee off in Canada and lands in the US, I believe other holes are in Canada, been years since I golfed there.

Forgot about that course.  Some of my friends golfed in tournament.  They liked the course.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

How does that work?
Border Patrol sets up in the fairway? :D 

Club house is in the US so you get to buy cheaper booze for the round, you don’t enter Canada to get to the club house and you walk across the street to tee off on hole 1

16 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

yeah rock solid - you mean like forgetting to repay the city back on a 500,000.00 loan?  Solid.

mind your own f*cking business! - like why downtown Fargo has become a dangerous crime sh*thole after 12 o'clock on any given night?   Congrats METRO on becoming the weiner city NEXT to Minneapolis for random crime and violence.   You're really looking UP!

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

mind your own f*cking business! - like why downtown Fargo has become a dangerous crime sh*thole after 12 o'clock on any given night?   Congrats METRO on becoming the weiner city NEXT to Minneapolis for random crime and violence.   You're really looking UP!

LOL - Hit a nerve.

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2022 at 9:35 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

..is the park much more active or busy on the weekends or did the state park in egf take away from with all the amenities around the one the egf?

I just stopped in to the park office to get my season pass and I asked if camping is busy this weekend and she replied they are full.

Which has usually been my experience trying to camp there on the weekends. A person has to reserve a campsite online beforehand.

Pro Tip: real fun to turn it into your own "voyageurs view tubing area". Launch your tube at the bridge near the dam and ride the river for a couple hours exiting at the last bridge in the park.

The "sand bars" by the bridge near the dam also fill up pretty fast with people on the weekends.  I had trouble finding an open one last year when I went.

And with the popularity of "ebikes" I'm sure the trails are getting a resurgence too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I just stopped in to the park office to get my season pass and I asked if camping is busy this weekend and she replied they are full.

Which has usually been my experience trying to camp there on the weekends. A person has to reserve a campsite online beforehand.

Pro Tip: real fun to turn it into your own "voyageurs view tubing area". Launch your tube at the bridge near the dam and ride the river for a couple hours exiting at the last bridge in the park.

The "sand bars" by the bridge near the dam also fill up pretty fast with people on the weekends.  I had trouble finding an open one last year when I went.

And with the popularity of "ebikes" I'm sure the trails are getting a resurgence too.

i work every weekend so when i do my "things' they are mid-week which is nice but i sometimes forget that walking the trails on thursday afternoon that "normal" people are at work!

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:22 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

anyone know what is/was just a mile or so east of turtle river state park?....look like a horse racing track from the air?

Screenshot_20220604-142044.png

More than likely a private dirt track owned by the farm next to it. Probably for cars or dirt bikes. Did a quick calculation and it appears to be between 3/4 mile and 1 mile in length. 

A stranger shape is about two miles west. Looks kind of like the outline of a pair of goggles. Only thing I can think of is an old go-kart track. Looks like it was paved at some point, but it's such a small track, I can't think of what else it could be used for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

More than likely a private dirt track owned by the farm next to it. Probably for cars or dirt bikes. Did a quick calculation and it appears to be between 3/4 mile and 1 mile in length. 

A stranger shape is about two miles west. Looks kind of like the outline of a pair of goggles. Only thing I can think of is an old go-kart track. Looks like it was paved at some point, but it's such a small track, I can't think of what else it could be used for.

screenshot?

On 6/5/2022 at 3:32 PM, Hammersmith said:

I would also guess a go-kart track.

Someone older me could probably tell you (but then again they probably wouldn't be found using the internet). That stretch use to be the entrance to the state park before it was moved. You can see the old road and bridge still there.

And there was I believe a bunch of other attractions like horseback riding.

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

I would also guess a go-kart track.

Someone older me could probably tell you (but then again they probably wouldn't be found using the internet). That stretch use to be the entrance to the state park before it was moved. You can see the old road and bridge still there.

And there was I believe a bunch of other attractions like horseback riding.

yep...old entrance..remember riding stables around there but just like with everything else gotta spend that money on that new expensive visitor center (compare that one to the old one...the size of a bathroom on  the old road entrance...just big enough for one kid to sell you a daily pass or check your permit)...