SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Denver

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

Have any of you fight club guys been watching college hockey the last few years? Those days are over. I don't think we want to give DU any extra power plays. 

I was in Denver for the penalty fest in November and I really don’t want to repeat that. I’m pretty sure that weekend is what started the downswing of the PK. 

Well at least on the plus side we have...good goal tending? good PP? good PK? good forwards? Backbone defense? Deep at center?....oh wait. I think center position is our strength beyond that the rest are average at best. This team is average at best. They need to start winning more than a game every other weekend. 

1 hour ago, dden3 said:

Not sure how much more I can watch this year.  And I have tickets to go to Omaha and up to Grand Forks for season ending series.  Bad year to choose to do this.

Rivalry game, Denver be coming in here over confident, the desperate Hawks could surprise most fair weather fans (who will give high end support at the games), potential for brooms to come out as Montgomery gives Refs his last tears of the series.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Kooshnitz said:

Well at least on the plus side we have...good goal tending? good PP? good PK? good forwards? Backbone defense? Deep at center?....oh wait. I think center position is our strength beyond that the rest are average at best. This team is average at best. They need to start winning more than a game every other weekend. 

This team is better then average, it’s if they play like it. When they are playing their best  they can beat the best team in the country,  and when they’re playing their worst the worst team in the country can beat them, It’s just a matter of who shows up!

GO SIOUX!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

This team is better then average, it’s if they play like it. When they are playing their best  they can beat the best team in the country,  and when they’re playing their worst the worst team in the country can beat them, It’s just a matter of who shows up!

GO SIOUX!!!

And they are running out of time to start playing consistently well for 60 minutes every game.

I go to almost every game and was at both games in Duluth.  It was depressing.  UND looked totally outclassed, as if they belonged in a lower league.  They were outskated, outhustled, outclassed crashing the net, ...just out of it. They don't seem to have the heart and soul.  Other than the victory in Bemidji, they have looked disorganized, out of sync, and lost for quite some time.  I have not seen a UND team play like this for this many games in many years.  I have seen them play better earlier this year, but not lately.  There is something wrong here, whether it is rampant injuries, failed team leadership, failed coaching, etc. I just don't know.  But I came away from Duluth with the belief that something is just not right with this team.  I believe this team will be on the road for the first round of the playoffs, not be in St. Paul for the NCHC tournament, and are not likely to make the NCAA tournament.  I hope I am wrong.

• Upvote 1

I love the Denver series at home - probably my favorite one on the annual calendar.  There is a great energy/buzz, particularly from the student section (pun intended) and when these two face off in January/February when the games mean more, there is simply nothing like it.  I hate DU but I respect their program.  For me, they are the only one who has earned elite status in the NCHC along with North Dakota.

When the Rusty sweaters hit the ice the intensity escalates.  So often these games result in a 1-0 win or a 2-1 outcome, forcing you to watch every moment of the game intently.  I miss Gwoz, Alanna Rizzo, and some of the fisticuffs that I remember in the late 2000's from this series but things were reignited during the 2016 season and it certainly took off again with a hard-fought win in the NCHC Semis last year and the great UND comeback in November at Magness.

Gaillet will be a big challenge and DU's roster has some very solid talent but I can't help but think UND will (hell they must) respond with their backs to the wall this weekend, hopefully starting a streak (6-4 the rest of the regular season!?).  A sweep will be very tough against this quality team but I hope when I'm there Friday night I will feel that same energy and watch UND earn a disciplined, low-scoring, win.

26 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I go to almost every game and was at both games in Duluth.  It was depressing.  UND looked totally outclassed, as if they belonged in a lower league.  They were outskated, outhustled, outclassed crashing the net, ...just out of it. They don't seem to have the heart and soul.  Other than the victory in Bemidji, they have looked disorganized, out of sync, and lost for quite some time.  I have not seen a UND team play like this for this many games in many years.  I have seen them play better earlier this year, but not lately.  There is something wrong here, whether it is rampant injuries, failed team leadership, failed coaching, etc. I just don't know.  But I came away from Duluth with the belief that something is just not right with this team.  I believe this team will be on the road for the first round of the playoffs, not be in St. Paul for the NCHC tournament, and are not likely to make the NCAA tournament.  I hope I am wrong.

...and beating Omaha 7-0

• Upvote 1

A lot of doom and gloom, eh? I get it.  I'm usually on that train. 

I think the boys come out strong this weekend, though.  Not necessarily a sweep but a hard-fought split. An entertaining series awaits, as always is between these two.

I hope Monty pulls his crybaby antics this weekend like he did last time in Denver.  He's the coach I love to hate and hate to love.  

(Also not to stoke any fires buuuutttt....if Cam loses Friday, do we perhaps see Hobey Thome?)

6 hours ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

A lot of doom and gloom, eh? I get it.  I'm usually on that train. 

I think the boys come out strong this weekend, though.  Not necessarily a sweep but a hard-fought split. An entertaining series awaits, as always is between these two.

I hope Monty pulls his crybaby antics this weekend like he did last time in Denver.  He's the coach I love to hate and hate to love.  

(Also not to stoke any fires buuuutttt....if Cam loses Friday, do we perhaps see Hobey Thome?)

Depends if Thome is done with that injury thing...