SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

When did I miss that UND was not in Title IX compliance for not having WIH?  Wasn't there a federal body that investigated the matter for 6 months? Or was I dreaming that?

They were in compliance.  But if UND adds WH back, they'd have to add a men's sport as well.

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Ever heard of Title IX, Senator?  Or budgets?

She probably had her brother draft that Tweet.........then again she easily could have spit out the nonsensical drivel on her own.

.........just clueless.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, darell1976 said:

For me it’s the no checking rule. Makes the game boring as hell to watch. 

Exactly, spot on.  It's women against women and they're wearing pads so why no checking, makes no sense.  What makes ice hockey such a great sport is both the speed and physicality and with no checking there's a void there.  Every time I watch a women's game I anticipate a check coming up against the boards and then nothing happens...

Let's stop and think about how hollow their argument is to bring back women's hockey. If she misses that shootout goal and Canada wins, none of this is happening right now. No crusading, no Ellen, no stupid tweets from our elected officials.

Besides the fact that Olympic hockey once every four years has absolutely nothing to do with UND.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Ever heard of Title IX, Senator?  Or budgets?

Is she running on a platform to force UND to add back women's hockey?

Why doesn't she force NDSU to add women's sports like Title IX says?  They could rent Scheel's arena much cheaper.  The cost night be equivalent to Mankato's or Bemidji's programs.  The WCHA would take them in seconds.

Again, like other have said, give it another week or so and you will hear crickets. The Lammy twins maybe have one more olympics left in them. The SJW crowd and dim witted politicians will find some other crusade to latch onto shortly which will be equally annoying but at least it won't be attached to UND (hopefully).

• Upvote 4

A rebuttal to the Mike Jacobs piece:

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/womens-hockey-program-und-died-supporting/

If anything ever gets reinstated at UND, it should be something that actually makes a difference in life, not a sport.  Think music therapy; I have seen firsthand what that can do for a patient in the hospital.  So many people lost their jobs at UND, I'm sick and tired of women's hockey coming up over and over.

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/4410612-commentary-womens-hockey-program-und-died-because-few-were-supporting-it

While this "article" is positive in that it calls out the financial and attendance failings of WH, it also fails to mention the Champion's Club money generated (mostly by MH).  Since UND does not account for those dollars as part of the revenues by sport, it makes all the programs look bad.  Port loves calling out other people for bending a story to fit their narrative, but has no problem doing it himself.

9 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/4410612-commentary-womens-hockey-program-und-died-because-few-were-supporting-it

While this "article" is positive in that it calls out the financial and attendance failings of WH, it also fails to mention the Champion's Club money generated (mostly by MH).  Since UND does not account for those dollars as part of the revenues by sport, it makes all the programs look bad.  Port loves calling out other people for bending a story to fit their narrative, but has no problem doing it himself.

can you update the list with the CC funds, or give me a better explanation?