SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I guess I should also add, that in our discussions some said that they have went to WH games and they just couldn't get excited about it. Maybe hockey isn't meant to be for women? Definitely struggling in college.

For me it’s the no checking rule. Makes the game boring as hell to watch. 

9 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Hmmm.  

I'll be curious to see if this gold medal creates any real traction...outside of message boards...to bring back women's hockey.  

I fall in the bring it back group.  Yes, we are a hockey school.  Yes, it is about little North Dakota girls dreams.  

I'm just not into impassioned pleading over it on a message board.  I just hope it happens.  But, I'm doubtful it will. 

Been wrong before though... 

That's fair.  

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've been in many discussions with friends about WH games prior to MH games, maybe not all, but at least most home games. "Making a day of it". Even if a good portion of the MH fans came in for the last period of the WH game. Watching the end of games could of brought more interest to WH, maybe over time the fans would of started coming earlier and earlier?

While in theory I like the idea, I worry what it might do to the ice for the men's game. In basketball that model worked really well for UND at one time. However, I think that could make the ice choppier once the men's game started. Especially if it's done back to back nights.

I've always been in the camp that for UND athletics to truly thrive, they needed to be at 16 sports. This is a distraction, but as others have said, just ride it out for two weeks.

I remember having the Women's hockey discussion last year when they had a team. Talk about frustrating, looking at that 2 Million money pit of a program that virtually nobody cared about. Much more relaxing now, having the same discussion but knowing UND is in a better place overall.

• Upvote 3

Mike Jacobs article in GF Herald today asks some critical questions. One question had to do with reinstating women's hockey.  A couple things he forgot to address was how to come up with 2 million dollars to fund it  and how to improve attendance. He failed to inform readers about the whole scenario. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Because the Olympics just happened UND needs to bring back women's hockey.  Give it a week.

Then get back to us in 2019, 20, and 21.  Let us know about the "buzz" going down in those years, as well.  

Actually, if other nations other than the U.S. or Canada don't start getting better, I can see the Olympics dropping women's  hockey.  

20 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So then Michigan cant claim to be a premier hockey program then?

The whole state of Michigan doesn’t have a women’s college hockey team. Why aren’t the UND/need more women’s hockey teams people not in Michigan bitching about WMU, MSU, FSU, Michigan, LSSU, MTU, and NMU not having women’s hockey. They do have all these Tier 1 girls teams that Idalski wants parents to send their daughters to so they could play at UND.

28 minutes ago, UNDBB75 said:

Mike Jacobs article in GF Herald today asks some critical questions. One question had to do with reinstating women's hockey.  A couple things he forgot to address was how to come up with 60 million dollars to fund it  and how to improve attendance. He failed to inform readers about the whole scenario. 

FYP