SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

14 minutes ago, tnt said:

Actually, if other nations other than the U.S. or Canada don't start getting better, I can see the Olympics dropping women's  hockey.  

Well amazingly. They are actually adding 2 more teams to make it even less competitive and yet they cut women's fastpitch which has at least 3-4 teams that have a shot in world competitions.

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

For me it’s the no checking rule. Makes the game boring as hell to watch. 

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, until the Canada vs US games...where the refs let 'em play a little bit and let plenty of checks go uncalled.

While watching the Olympics and seeing all the clutching and grabbing and stick checks that everyone complains about in the men’s hockey, made it very hard to watch the women’s hockey at the Olympics. Adding checking makes it better but let’s face it, it’s like watching squirts hockey at the Olympics.

The competitive gap between the US/Canada and everyone else is getting bigger.

46 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Well amazingly. They are actually adding 2 more teams to make it even less competitive and yet they cut women's fastpitch which has at least 3-4 teams that have a shot in world competitions.

Softball is coming back in 2020 along with baseball. Also the more teams thing is good imo, countries around the world are more likely to invest in Women's sports and sports in general when it is an olympic sport. 

5 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Softball is coming back in 2020 along with baseball. Also the more teams thing is good imo, countries around the world are more likely to invest in Women's sports and sports in general when it is an olympic sport. 

I know it is coming back....should have never been cut in the first place.

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

So Jacobs writes an article to reinstate Womens Hockey, but completely ignores the two biggest variables in order to make it happen?

Financing and Title IX?

Unbelievable "journalism".

"Mike Jacobs is a former editor and publisher of the Herald."  

Maybe there is a reason for that!!!

32 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I know it is coming back....should have never been cut in the first place.

Agreed, and the same argument some have made for cutting whky (1-2 dominant nations) is the same reason why it and baseball were(badly)cut in the first place. 

UND needs to start womens lacrosse before any other women's sport.  It will bring in 30+ tuitions from out of state, the MPSF needs more teams, has an indoor facility ready, would only cost like 40% of WIH, as it  has 12 scholarships to split.   Not a DI team yet in Minnesota, but HS's are starting it around the state.  It would help getting more gals from the Cities and the western US and also give lax more credence with ND youth.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

How many ND girls played hockey for UND from 2002-2003 until last year?

29. 21 by Idalski and 8 by coaches before him. Most of the 21 by Idalski came early in his career, with only 1 ND girl played in the last 3 years of the program. He favored European girls over local talent. 

That 29 averages to almost 2 ND girls per year. There were 4 girls from Europe on the 2016-17 roster, with one from ND.

22 hours ago, cberkas said:

For all you folks on Sioux Sports that are done tearing apart women’s hockey and ripping on people for not wanting to lose jobs or lose the team they played on feel free to DM me and actually have a civil conversation I’ll be patiently waiting

The conversation seems pretty civil here. Could it be he wants to have this conversation out in public so he can get the SJW crowd to latch on with emotional arguments, rather than facts?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

While watching the Olympics and seeing all the clutching and grabbing and stick checks that everyone complains about in the men’s hockey, made it very hard to watch the women’s hockey at the Olympics. Adding checking makes it better but let’s face it, it’s like watching squirts hockey at the Olympics.

The competitive gap between the US/Canada and everyone else is getting bigger.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/news/story?id=3577150

I'm still convinced that Canada was told to go easy on teams in the preliminary rounds of the Olympics...I believe it was 2010 when they defeated Slovakia or one of the lesser-teams 18-0 and the losing goalie was absolutely bawling her eyes out walking thru the handshake line.  Those types of games are not good for the sport.  Canada's coach claimed that his team was "sending a message" to the other teams (i.e., the United States) that they were going to have no mercy.  Looking for links and I may be fuzzy on the year and the opponent...but I watched the game live and it was NOT pretty.    

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/news/story?id=3577150

I'm still convinced that Canada was told to go easy on teams in the preliminary rounds of the Olympics...I believe it was 2010 when they defeated Slovakia or one of the lesser-teams 18-0 and the losing goalie was absolutely bawling her eyes out walking thru the handshake line.  Those types of games are not good for the sport.  Canada's coach claimed that his team was "sending a message" to the other teams (i.e., the United States) that they were going to have no mercy.  Looking for links and I may be fuzzy on the year and the opponent...but I watched the game live and it was NOT pretty.    

I wouldn’t be surprised if the US and Canada were told to not score over X goals in a game this year. If you look the most either scored in a have was 5.

Look how the US and Canada have scored less goals each Olympics from 2010 to 2014 to 2018.

The 2010 Olympic tournament was horrible (heading into the gold medal match, Canada had outscored its 4 opponents, 46-2; the USA outscoring their 4 opponents, 40-2) and as a result, they changed how the round robin was done. 

Since 2010 the 4 highest ranked teams in the world go in Group A, the next 4 in Group B.  All 4 Group A teams make medal round, with top two (presumably Canada and US) getting byes.  Only the top 2 in Group B make medal round, playing quarterfinal games against teams 3 & 4 from Group A.   So the last two Olympics, US and Canada have played 90/100% of their games against teams ranked in the top 4 in the world.  It limits the number of bad blowouts.  They use the same system for the World Championships.

16 minutes ago, lawkota said:

The 2010 Olympic tournament was horrible (heading into the gold medal match, Canada had outscored its 4 opponents, 46-2; the USA outscoring their 4 opponents, 40-2) and as a result, they changed how the round robin was done. 

Since 2010 the 4 highest ranked teams in the world go in Group A, the next 4 in Group B.  All 4 Group A teams make medal round, with top two (presumably Canada and US) getting byes.  Only the top 2 in Group B make medal round, playing quarterfinal games against teams 3 & 4 from Group A.   So the last two Olympics, US and Canada have played 90/100% of their games against teams ranked in the top 4 in the world.  It limits the number of bad blowouts.  They use the same system for the World Championships.

The US and Canada have blown out everyone year after year and then at the Olympics this year, they never scored more then 5 goals in a game.