SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

7 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Heidlebaugh wasn't. They talked about him as an athlete from the beginning and a possible TE.  

Yup, this very much. I recall him being talked of as an athletic project at qb. The project didn't work out as we all painfully witnessed. 

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Heidlebaugh wasn't. They talked about him as an athlete from the beginning and a possible TE.  

He was only scholarship QB recruit brought in for that class. This when the QB scenario was in shambles (2014-15) with Mollberg injury and Studsrud looking poor, albeit his true freshman season, for the final 4 of 2014. Narrative at the early juncture was that Bubba was heading to Rugby to find UND it's "future QB". 

Plenty of subjectivity with all of this, but the fact remains that UND has minimally recruited the QB position; and the few they have brought in have changed positions or simply moved on (Mollberg, Heidlebaugh, kid from Minot).  

Another bad year and Bubba will be skating on this ice. Don't get me wrong, there has been an improvement overall since Muss, but we should strive for just and improvement from that. There have been some hits on recruiting, but a ton of misses and questionable moves (lack of O Line, lack of QBs). To me the biggest issue is Bubba keeping Rudy around after the types of games that he calls. As far as I'm concerned Bubba should no longer have an opportunity to get rid of Rudy and still keep his own job. That time was at the end of last season. Going forward, Bubba has to go as the rest of his staff goes.

Now I like Bubba, but to keep a coach because he seems like a nice guys is the equivalent of Bubba keeping Rudy on staff. Hope they prove me wrong and turn into a long term solution, but last season raised more questions than answers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Another bad year and Bubba will be skating on this ice. Don't get me wrong, there has been an improvement overall since Muss, but we should strive for just and improvement from that. There have been some hits on recruiting, but a ton of misses and questionable moves (lack of O Line, lack of QBs). To me the biggest issue is Bubba keeping Rudy around after the types of games that he calls. As far as I'm concerned Bubba should no longer have an opportunity to get rid of Rudy and still keep his own job. That time was at the end of last season. Going forward, Bubba has to go as the rest of his staff goes.

Now I like Bubba, but to keep a coach because he seems like a nice guys is the equivalent of Bubba keeping Rudy on staff. Hope they prove me wrong and turn into a long term solution, but last season raised more questions than answers.

Bubba is definitely on a warm seat for the 2018 season. Whether or not that seat gets warmer or cooler will depend on how we bounce back from 2017, which was an unmitigated disaster.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

He was only scholarship QB recruit brought in for that class. This when the QB scenario was in shambles (2014-15) with Mollberg injury and Studsrud looking poor, albeit his true freshman season, for the final 4 of 2014. Narrative at the early juncture was that Bubba was heading to Rugby to find UND it's "future QB". 

Plenty of subjectivity with all of this, but the fact remains that UND has minimally recruited the QB position; and the few they have brought in have changed positions or simply moved on (Mollberg, Heidlebaugh, kid from Minot).  

I believe Heidlebaugh was proffered walk on. 

5 hours ago, zonadub said:

Mussman recruited much better qb's. Braden Hansen would probably not come to play under Schweigert and Rudolph.

I'm starting to think Mussman recruited better than Bubba period.    Bubba seemed to win as long as he Muss's players.    Safe to say Bubba can't recruit coaches either,  Rudy, I'm looking at you.   

On 2/9/2018 at 10:24 AM, zonadub said:

Mussman recruited much better qb's. Braden Hansen would probably not come to play under Schweigert and Rudolph.

Palendech (? spelling) was another good get.  Would have been a good fit for our offense, but left after spring ball with the new coaching staff.  He did pretty well at Nevada after that.

3 hours ago, lets eat said:

According to famed QG guru UND-FB-Fan  Palendech wasn't as talented as Molberg or Bartles  "just that simple"

When did I say "Palendech wasn't as talented as ... "? Furthermore, which year was Palendech all-conference or which NFL team did he play for?

Give me a break. 

Folks around here conveniently forget about winning as the bottom line. If you don't want to consider objective results (such as wins), then everything thereafter becomes a subjective banter act. I think it's beyond laughable that people want to frame Mussman's QBs as so damn good when their respective W-L results were all so poor. 

7 minutes ago, lets eat said:

March 10, 2014

Wow, thanks for keeping track.

He sure won a lot of games at UNLV, huh? Mollberg and Bartles didn't exactly produce much either, but why does playing on a poor FBS team versus a FCS team suddenly make you better. It doesn't, quite frankly.

Again, another subjective crapshoot we have on our hands here. Congrats. 

7 hours ago, Irish said:

Another reason Bubba and Company should be on the hot seat.  Their offensive philosophy is crap as is their player development.  They are making it so no top QB in his right mind would sign here.  See this year's recruiting results.  Time to get their collective act together and think outside the tiny box they have put themselves in.

I began thinking kind of on this train of taught before the FB season was over. Do have concerns:

Is our offense really as complicated as made to sound like here on SS, maybe in a way only for our team? The later definitely wouldn't pay dividends. Do we have challenges getting our team ready and together during the count for the snap, and complicating things more with our audibles?  When things were going bad, a comment made many times here during last 2 seasons really stands out to me, something like;  Run 1 of the gut, Run 2 of the gut, Pass 3, and Punt 4, which can't seem too complicated to the other team.

If we're that complicated, when passing why would an offense like this be run with a Q that usually locks in on one receiver?

And then injuries, mostly on defense? We need to step up in 2018.