SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

1 minute ago, Sioux95 said:

So let's say they make it a priority and get one next year.  When we start MVFC play in 2020 boltman will be a junior and we will have a redshirt freshman at backup.  I suppose we could pick up a JUCO QB, but that can hit or miss.  Anyone remember Joey Bradley?

I think we can say there is a trend now with UND not being able to recruit the QB position OR OFFENSIVE LINE well, and we can't expect to get quality JUCOs like Zimmerman very often.  I don't like where that leaves us, and hope Bubba and Rudy can see the writing on the wall.

Fixed your post.

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

He had an easy decision to make this offseason, and didn't make it.   

I don't think it's too hard to figure out why UND is not signing sought after FCS caliber QB recruits.  

This is more question than criticism, but what effect do people think seeing our offense in action turns off good QB prospects?

5 minutes ago, Irish said:

This is more question than criticism, but what effect do people think seeing our offense in action turns off good QB prospects?

If it were me as a QB prospect it would greatly influence my decision. How many QBs want to just hand the ball off as we struggle on offense. Much has to be fixed before we get QBs pounding on our door.

11 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

If it were me as a QB prospect it would greatly influence my decision. How many QBs want to just hand the ball off as we struggle on offense. Much has to be fixed before we get QBs pounding on our door.

Like passing in situations other than just 3rd and long? Run, Run, Throw, Punt .... Rinse and Repeat, Rinse and Repeat

2 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

So let's say they make it a priority and get one next year.  When we start MVFC play in 2020 boltman will be a junior and we will have a redshirt freshman at backup.  I suppose we could pick up a JUCO QB, but that can hit or miss.  Anyone remember Joey Bradley?

I think we can say there is a trend now with UND not being able to recruit the QB position well, and we can't expect to get quality JUCOs like Zimmerman very often.  I don't like where that leaves us, and hope Bubba and Rudy can see the writing on the wall.

What? J Brad Swag was the man :silly:

The other thing about having extra QB's is that you never know how they will turn out.     Take Moleberg and Heidelbaugh, both were sold as the real deal early on and never quite made it to the end.   In the QB position it's almost a given that you will lose half of them for whatever reason.     I hope Bubba knows what he's doing.

42 minutes ago, TRex said:

The other thing about having extra QB's is that you never know how they will turn out.     Take Moleberg and Heidelbaugh, both were sold as the real deal early on and never quite made it to the end.   In the QB position it's almost a given that you will lose half of them for whatever reason.     I hope Bubba knows what he's doing.

Mollberg was the real deal. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TRex said:

Heidelbaugh was sold as the real deal early on?  I guess I missed that.  

Football is something fun to follow. I won't allow myself to get too optimistic going into a season again - at least for a couple of years. I don't see a complete turn around with an one or two loss season next year. I just need to learn to appreciate the game and the effort the players and coaches put into it. Dilly Dilly!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Heidelbaugh was sold as the real deal early on?  I guess I missed that.  

OK, maybe I overstated that little but I doubt anyone expected Heidelbaugh to be the bust he basically was this year.   I sure was expecting more.   As to Moleberg, IMO he never lived up to what he should have been.

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Football is something fun to follow. I won't allow myself to get too optimistic going into a season again - at least for a couple of years. I don't see a complete turn around with an one or two loss season next year. I just need to learn to appreciate the game and the effort the players and coaches put into it. Dilly Dilly!

Send Rudolph to the Pit of Misersy! PIT OF MISERY.... DILLY DILLY!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TRex said:

OK, maybe I overstated that little but I doubt anyone expected Heidelbaugh to be the bust he basically was this year.   I sure was expecting more.   As to Moleberg, IMO he never lived up to what he should have been.

Heidlebaugh was certainly labeled as being the future when he was recruited. Same with Mollberg. Oh how times have changed. 

55 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Heidlebaugh was certainly labeled as being the future when he was recruited. Same with Mollberg. Oh how times have changed. 

Mollberg was the guy. He was on the brink of being a stud when he tore his achilles then Rudy exiled him to TE because he had a strange love affair with Studs. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TRex said:

Mollberg had to play  with poor protection, poor running game , and receivers who had talent but  dropped balls and ran undisciplined routes. Despite that he showed promise.   He had a big time arm, was an excellent athlete, was an excellent student and coachable kid.  I realize some of you think my opinion is cuz I'm from DL.  (I'm from Bismarck and live in DL).    If you are going to give up on kids after what he and Bartels endured their first 2 years, then you aren't going to get big time QB's lining up to "read defenses and hand the ball off " . Do you think a QB wants to play for  Rudolph and then take crap from him if they get hurt.  Mollberg lived up to everything he was allowed to live up to.  He was improving as a Soph when he got hurt . He had all of the tools to continue to develop into a difference maker at QB.  IMO.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Heidlebaugh wasn't. They talked about him as an athlete from the beginning and a possible TE.  

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Mollberg had to play  with poor protection, poor running game , and receivers who had talent but  dropped balls and ran undisciplined routes. Despite that he showed promise.   He had a big time arm, was an excellent athlete, was an excellent student and coachable kid.  I realize some of you think my opinion is cuz I'm from DL.  (I'm from Bismarck and live in DL).    If you are going to give up on kids after what he and Bartels endured their first 2 years, then you aren't going to get big time QB's lining up to "read defenses and hand the ball off " . Do you think a QB wants to play for  Rudolph and then take crap from him if they get hurt.  Mollberg lived up to everything he was allowed to live up to.  He was improving as a Soph when he got hurt . He had all of the tools to continue to develop into a difference maker at QB.  IMO.

The coaches have completely blown it when it comes to qbs in the Bubba era. Mussmans staff was much better with qbs.