SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

48 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Based on this logic, every single tournament should be there. Even the Boy's Class B.

If you wanted to start a civil war between the east and west, taking the Boy's Class B tournament away from Bismarck and giving it to Fargo would probably do it.

Class B draw better in Fargo?

Who would have thought that state hockey would leave GF, ten/fifteen years ago especially when GF had just got one of the nicest hockey facilities in the country.

Scheels Arena (or whatever the new NDSU basketball arena is called) would make a nice class B basketball arena.:whistling:

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Class B draw better in Fargo?

Who would have thought that state hockey would leave GF, ten/fifteen years ago especially when GF had just got one of the nicest hockey facilities in the country.

Scheels Arena (or whatever the new NDSU basketball arena is called) would make a nice class B basketball arena.:whistling:

I think Class B fans will go wherever their teams go.

I still like the idea of upgrading Purpur Arena and having it there. You could use Gambucci Arena for some of the girls games.

I absolutely am not buying the idea that Grand Forks cannot support anything other than State Tennis.

The Heraldo hit the nail on the head with their editorial in today's paper:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/4221869-editorial-grand-forks-fight-hard-sports-tournaments

Yes, The Ralph's scheduling issues played a role; but in the end, that's an excuse. The bottom line is that Fargo won and Grand Forks lost. And to the extent that had to do with Grand Forks being outhustled, local leaders should resolve never to let it happen again.

I don't always agree with the Heraldo, but they are 100% right about this.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

There was no better setting for the state tournament than the old REA.  Perfect size facility for the event.  The tournament had incredible atmosphere and a real feel to it.  The tension in some of those title games there was just surreal.

I was at the first ever state tournament game at the new REA.  Red River was playing against Bismarck and you could hear conversations people were having from the other side of the rink.  It's just too big for ND high school hockey.  Especially when the attendance has fallen like it has.  

I went to a ton of those old ralph tournament games when I was young and it really felt like a special event. Like you said, not the same at the new one with the lower bowl maybe half full.

• Upvote 1

I remember when the REA was being build they were anticipating that the upper bowl would only be used for big draws.  i.e. gopher games.  That obviously is not the case with the demand for tickets.  The Lower bowl was designed that if the upper bowl was empty it would still feel full.  It sure feels empty if the upper bowl is empty.  I wonder if they were to curtain off the upper bowl and maybe a portion of the lower bowl if that would help for both Women's and HS games.  No idea what the cost would be, but think it would help with the atmosphere.

Even an uncomfortable packed to the rim purpur arena state championship would be better.

But very true, the kids would chose the REA hands down. I know I looked forward to playing there more than anything. 

So how about we just all get to these games and fill up the scheels this year and fill up the REA next year and we won't have to worry about anything! 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Even an uncomfortable packed to the rim purpur arena state championship would be better.

But very true, the kids would chose the REA hands down. I know I looked forward to playing there more than anything. 

So how about we just all get to these games and fill up the scheels this year and fill up the REA next year and we won't have to worry about anything! 

Where'd you play your high school hockey, Ogie?

20 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Where'd you play your high school hockey, Ogie?

Devils Lake from 04-08. During my time I was fortunate enough to play every single varsity team in the state at every single varsity venue in the state. Reason being-- We were in the West my first 2 years and in the East my second two years. Strangely enough, we were actually more successful the 2 years we played in the East. Better competition creates better players I suppose! 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Devils Lake from 04-08. During my time I was fortunate enough to play every single varsity team in the state at every single varsity venue in the state. Reason being-- We were in the West my first 2 years and in the East my second two years. Strangely enough, we were actually more successful the 2 years we played in the East. Better competition creates better players I suppose! 

Graduated from there way before you ('66), but still maintain an interest in their athletics.  They lose a lot of seniors this year and, judging from the record of their Bantam and PeeWee teams, it doesn't look like they have a lot coming up.  Needless to say, it'll take a great game to beat Bismarck twice in one season.  You've probably seen both teams play; what are you thinking?

BTW, you must be one of the few people that have ever played every varsity team in the state at every venue!  Glad they're back in the East; better competition, night in, night out.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Graduated from there way before you ('66), but still maintain an interest in their athletics.  They lose a lot of seniors this year and, judging from the record of their Bantam and PeeWee teams, it doesn't look like they have a lot coming up.  Needless to say, it'll take a great game to beat Bismarck twice in one season.  You've probably seen both teams play; what are you thinking?

BTW, you must be one of the few people that have ever played every varsity team in the state at every venue!  Glad they're back in the East; better competition, night in, night out.

Devils Lake matches up well against them, but I think it'll take a lot for them to beat BHS again. Top D-men and top lines match up evenly, but it drops off sharply after that for DL. They do have them outmatched on tenders though, so maybe that'll be the difference maker! Overall BHS is the better team, and will probably pull away late in the 3rd period. DL will have to keep them off their game again by taking it to them physically but cleanly. 

The last time these two schools matched up at state was in 2007 when we were the #4 from the east playing the #1 BHS team from the west. We ended up tromping them 6-0 and moved on to the semi's for an all east sweep. Hopefully history repeats itself, but it's not looking likely! This DL team also doesn't have a go to superstar like the 07 team did in Kyle Everson. He was unreal that year as a SR. 

Back in 66' did your varsity ever play the UND freshman men's team at the Bill in DL? I've heard some recorded broadcasts of those games and I think it was in the 50's and/or 60's. Crazy to think about a game like that happening in that building. 

DL seems to have a strong team once every 10 years with a few decent ones mixed in between. 96-97 they dominated pretty much everyone in the state and won the West with ease, but choked bad at state.  I think they only had 2 loses that season. Then in 06-07 we finished 4th in the EDC and 3rd at state, losing to the champions RR in the semis. Now in 16-17 they are top 5 in the state once again. Cando seems to keep producing a hand full of players that help give the HS teams a boost. Not sure what their programs are looking like, but yes you're correct on DL's youth teams being down. Bantam's and Peewee's both only have 1 team for the first time ever. Not a good sign. 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Devils Lake matches up well against them, but I think it'll take a lot for them to beat BHS again. Top D-men and top lines match up evenly, but it drops off sharply after that for DL. They do have them outmatched on tenders though, so maybe that'll be the difference maker! Overall BHS is the better team, and will probably pull away late in the 3rd period. DL will have to keep them off their game again by taking it to them physically but cleanly. 

The last time these two schools matched up at state was in 2007 when we were the #4 from the east playing the #1 BHS team from the west. We ended up tromping them 6-0 and moved on to the semi's for an all east sweep. Hopefully history repeats itself, but it's not looking likely! This DL team also doesn't have a go to superstar like the 07 team did in Kyle Everson. He was unreal that year as a SR. 

Back in 66' did your varsity ever play the UND freshman men's team at the Bill in DL? I've heard some recorded broadcasts of those games and I think it was in the 50's and/or 60's. Crazy to think about a game like that happening in that building. 

DL seems to have a strong team once every 10 years with a few decent ones mixed in between. 96-97 they dominated pretty much everyone in the state and won the West with ease, but choked bad at state.  I think they only had 2 loses that season. Then in 06-07 we finished 4th in the EDC and 3rd at state, losing to the champions RR in the semis. Now in 16-17 they are top 5 in the state once again. Cando seems to keep producing a hand full of players that help give the HS teams a boost. Not sure what their programs are looking like, but yes you're correct on DL's youth teams being down. Bantam's and Peewee's both only have 1 team for the first time ever. Not a good sign. 

Don't think the DL varsity played UND's freshmen that year.  Even though I played basketball, I think that I would have heard about it.  Remember going to several hockey games in the old Winter Sports Building.  Between the old Winter Sports Building and the old barn at UND, there wasn't much comfort involved in watching hockey in those days:(.  I think I remember the '07 team somewhat; didn't you beat Grafton in the 3rd place game at State?  Did Everson play after high school?

Thanks for the lowdown on DL/Bismarck.  Hope DL can contribute to an all-East semifinals.

13 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Don't think the DL varsity played UND's freshmen that year.  Even though I played basketball, I think that I would have heard about it.  Remember going to several hockey games in the old Winter Sports Building.  Between the old Winter Sports Building and the old barn at UND, there wasn't much comfort involved in watching hockey in those days:(.  I think I remember the '07 team somewhat; didn't you beat Grafton in the 3rd place game at State?  Did Everson play after high school?

Thanks for the lowdown on DL/Bismarck.  Hope DL can contribute to an all-East semifinals.

Yeah we beat grafton in a close game for 3rd. Grafton lost a heart breaker the night before too in their semi game vs south. 

Everson tried out for a few USHL teams but didn't actually play for any as far as I know. He was in a bad boating accident on Devils Lake a year and a half ago that left him hospitalized to this day. Really sad deal. 

2 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yeah we beat grafton in a close game for 3rd. Grafton lost a heart breaker the night before too in their semi game vs south. 

Everson tried out for a few USHL teams but didn't actually play for any as far as I know. He was in a bad boating accident on Devils Lake a year and a half ago that left him hospitalized to this day. Really sad deal. 

I wondered what happened to him after high school.  He was so good at finding the soft spot heading up the ice.  Some called him a cherry picker, but I thought he was really good at picking his spots and scoring when he had his chances. 

52 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I wondered what happened to him after high school.  He was so good at finding the soft spot heading up the ice.  Some called him a cherry picker, but I thought he was really good at picking his spots and scoring when he had his chances. 

I thought for sure he'd have a ton of offers after the Chicago showcase since he played pretty well there. Maybe he did have them but he didn't pursue them.

He was an unreal competitor and true goal scorer. I think he had around 35 goals and 55 points that season in a stacked EDC schedule.  Doesn't seem extremely impressive until you realized no one else on the team had more than 10 goals and the second leading scorer had 22 points. To further that realization he fought through a pulled groin the entire year. AND he came from a low income family that struggled to keep him supplied with good equipment that the team didn't provide (skates and sticks). He often used teammates back up sticks mid game when his only stick broke. I'll never forget when he was awarded a penalty shot in OT in Minot. He not only was using someone else's stick but his skate blade broke so he had to borrow someone else's skate to take the shot. He scored it to win the game of course. 

34 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I thought for sure he'd have a ton of offers after the Chicago showcase since he played pretty well there. Maybe he did have them but he didn't pursue them.

He was an unreal competitor and true goal scorer. I think he had around 35 goals and 55 points that season in a stacked EDC schedule.  Doesn't seem extremely impressive until you realized no one else on the team had more than 10 goals and the second leading scorer had 22 points. To further that realization he fought through a pulled groin the entire year. AND he came from a low income family that struggled to keep him supplied with good equipment that the team didn't provide (skates and sticks). He often used teammates back up sticks mid game when his only stick broke. I'll never forget when he was awarded a penalty shot in OT in Minot. He not only was using someone else's stick but his skate blade broke so he had to borrow someone else's skate to take the shot. He scored it to win the game of course. 

I remember reading about that accident back when it happened.  Didn't put two and two together.  Hope he is some day able to leave the hospital

On 2/19/2017 at 4:57 PM, yzerman19 said:

Back to that 93-94 Central team- Ruczi went to the USHL too- would've made Central unbeatable had he stayed

And how could I forget- one of the better players on our team, Paul Murphy, should've played for Central as well- 

they were flat out stacked on the north side of town then

34 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

If someone goes to the earlier games today, can you do us all a  solid?

What is price for single-day passes?

Thanks! 

The Internet is your friend.  http://www.ndhsaanow.com/tournaments/icehockey-boys

Ticket Information:
Adult Season General Admission:              $32.00 + $3.00 venue charge = $35.00  
Adult Daily General Admission:                   $12.00 + $1.00 venue charge = $13.00  
Student Season General Admission:         $15.00 + $3.00 venue charge = $18.00  
Student Daily General Admission:             $6.00 + $1.00 venue charge = $7.00