SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Just an FYI, the MWHSHL has been in existence since 1976 when it started as the Iowa High School Hockey League.  It was all-Iowa for many years until it expanded into Nebraska and included Omaha.  At one time it even included Sioux Falls in the league until they left to go back to the SD league.  It now includes teams from Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. 

If you follow youth hockey at all, or have kids in youth hockey, you will recognize many of the programs as they play often in North Dakota.  Sioux City, Omaha, and Des Moines are the programs you might be most familiar with as they venture up quite often.  Heck, I've been to Grand Forks twice this year already and usually have gone to Fargo a couple of times a year in the past for my kid's tournaments.

Level of play, judging on what I have seen in the youth ranks, is comparable to North Dakota High School Hockey.  I don't think there is a team that would topple the GF schools but would match up with the rest of the league very well.  The MW league also has the issue of losing its best players to AAA & junior hockey by the time they reach midgets, something I sense a lot of NoDak schools struggle with too.

I enjoy reading this thread as it is the only info I can find on NDHS hockey.  Yeah, I'm kind of a hockey junkie and enjoy following what's going on in ND, SD, MN, and IA/NE.

Wow thanks for the info. I was completely out of touch on this league so it's fun to hear about it. I'm sure I'll run into the teams more often as my kids grow up and start playing hockey. 

You can find more info about North Dakota high school hockey at --- ndhighschoolhockey.com. It has complete schedules, standings and stats for every player and team in the state. He has stats archieved back to the 07-08 season. 

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Probably could have been a D1 track athlete as well.

Friends of mine who went to school in Jamestown say that if he didn't play hockey he would have probably been their best basketball player as well.

Without a doubt.  I had the privilege of coaching him when he was a bantam. Most intense player I ever coached in my 30 bplus years of coaching. Have golfed with him in the past. Another sport he's good at. Arguably the best all around athlete from our state. 

• Upvote 1

Sore spot with Minnesota fans.

I was at a tournament a few weeks ago and was talking with the opposing coach as we were waiting for the game before us to finish so we could start the championship game (yes, subtle brag there).  It was a game between Stillwater and New Ulm.  New Ulm had just scored a goal to seal the win and Stillwater responded by getting a little chippy.  This coach tells me "Yeah, not surprised.  Those City teams hate losing to outstate teams."  I responded by saying "You think they hate losing to outstate teams?  They get really pissed when they lose to a team from Iowa." 

Your post made me think of that conversation.  I imagine they do get sore losing to a team from NoDak.  I can at least see them having some respect for a team from "up north".

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Without a doubt.  I had the privilege of coaching him when he was a bantam. Most intense player I ever coached in my 30 bplus years of coaching. Have golfed with him in the past. Another sport he's good at. Arguably the best all around athlete from our state. 

Ha. He got pissed when I beat him in pool at Kirby's.

23 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Watched Davies tonight. North gave them everything they had. Both semi final games will be blowouts. 

I just can't see anything other than an all GF state championship game.  Maybe you could see Bismarck High knock off Red River in the semifinals in Fargo, but it would take a special effort from the Demons.

Bismarck wins the west region tournament this weekend in the capital city.  That's a 100% lock, just like Central and Red River finishing 1-2 in the east. 

• Upvote 1

did he? were you there, or did you read it on here?

Not looking to start this whole conversation again...but his star player had TEN goals that game. You didn't have to be in the building to understand what happened there. I'm Not saying he was directly trying to pad kids stats, but I am saying he obviously didn't have enough respect to keep it from getting that out of hand.

That kid's state leading goal total (by a long shot) should have an asterisk next to it. Almost 1/3 of his regular season goals came in one game! LOL