SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

10 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

Red River and Central swept EGF this year.  EGF is projected by most to win Section 8A and probably be the #5 seed at State.  Moorhead also beat EGF and Moorhead is projected and will probably win 8AA.  In MN Class A, the class of the field is Hermantown, Breck, Delano and mix St Cloud Cathedral and Mahtomedi in there, then EGF, there is your top 6 in MN Class A.  If you really want to play with the big boys, Edina, Eden Prairie, Stillwater, and Elk River are your targets but that is were the depth comes in and, as good Central and Red are, the top of Class AA would beat them.  Say...#8 and down in AA and #2 and down in A, Central and Red River are right there this year.

Central crossed the river and played EGF twice (local, crosstown rival), Warroad (normally a good choice but the Warriors are down this year) and Detroit Lakes (a middle of the pack Section 8A team playing in a terrible Mid State Conference, they are no test to anybody).  Sweep.

Red River crossed the river and played EGF twice (local, crosstown rival) and Detroit Lakes (a middle of the pack Section 8A team playing in a terrible Mid State Conference, they are no test to anybody).  Sweep.

With their location on the Minnesota border, the GF schools are no better or worse off than EGF.  EGF heads down to the cities and plays Breck, Tonino-Grace, St. Cloud Cathedral on a regular basis and has also added Class AA Blaine for a couple year.

EGF should only play Central and Red River one game each each season and schedule more top Minnesota teams.  That would clear up some schedule space for Central and Red River to schedule some top Minnesota A or AA teams, or at least schedule Moorhead a game each season and you won't even have to go that far.

Central and Red River are setting themselves up as their own class in ND hockey and nobody seems able to derail that. 

Play Minnesota Hockey!

Did you mean to say f*%k Minnesota hockey? 

21 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Is ND HS hockey a varsity sanctioned sport?  In SD hockey is not a HS sanctioned sport, it is club and is registered with USA Hockey High School Division.

I would love to see this happen though.  It would be good for SoDak hockey, though none of the teams here would be able to beat the GF teams either, but would provide more competition for the rest of the schools to play.

Only if they co-op with a Minnesota school and the Minnesota school sponsors the sport.  For several years, Breckenridge, MN co-oped with Wahpeton, ND and played in the NDHSAA.  A few years ago, Breckenridge became the sponsoring school and the co-op now plays in Minnesota Section 6A.

Red River or Central should co-op with East Grand Forks Sacred Heart and ruled 8A

Just now, Yote 53 said:

Ogie, you can say that but you have to respect what they got over there.  Personally, I am jealous and wish my kids could play in that state. They got a pretty good thing going.

Has SD hockey been improving? I know it was absolutely garbage recently but haven't seen a game in about 6 years.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Yuck. Watching Minot bleed this game out is giving me flashbacks to when they sucked the life out of Central after a fluke goal in the state title game a couple of years ago.

They have played the way that they needed.  They can't skate with Davies.  

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Ogie, you can say that but you have to respect what they got over there.  Personally, I am jealous and wish my kids could play in that state. They got a pretty good thing going.

Yes I sure as hell respect their top 25-30 teams. But what about their other, what...275 teams??? Not so much! They have just as many if not many more garbage programs as they do solid ones. I think the mass number of teams can be Deceiving for people. Quantity doesn't mean quality. 

Just now, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yes I sure as hell respect their top 25-30 teams. But what about their other, what...275 teams??? Not so much! They have just as many if not many more garbage programs as they do solid ones. I think the mass number of teams can be Deceiving for people. Quantity doesn't mean quality. 

It's your story, tell it however you like.  :)

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Has SD hockey been improving? I know it was absolutely garbage recently but haven't seen a game in about 6 years.

It has gotten much, much better.  Still has a ways to go.  Best thing they could do is step out of their shell at the youth level and go play some competition, ND and MN A level competition.  Too many of those associations play B2 hockey.  Unfortunately they passed a backwards rule and are switching over to birth years for their youth teams.  I say backwards because if they though it was hard to compete with ND and MN programs before then try doing it with an age difference.  I know, its only 6 months, but that 6 months is huge.  I know, my kid plays on a team out of Sioux City, IA and we've been battling it for 6 years.  For example, his first year Bantams he played Bantam A, half his team, if we were based in ND/SD/MN would have been PeeWees, and frankly those kids would have torn up most Pee Wee teams they played, A or AA.  But throw 12/13 year olds up against 15 yr olds, huge difference.

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

It has gotten much, much better.  Still has a ways to go.  Best thing they could do is step out of their shell at the youth level and go play some competition, ND and MN A level competition.  Too many of those associations play B2 hockey.  Unfortunately they passed a backwards rule and are switching over to birth years for their youth teams.  I say backwards because if they though it was hard to compete with ND and MN programs before then try doing it with an age difference.  I know, its only 6 months, but that 6 months is huge.  I know, my kid plays on a team out of Sioux City, IA and we've been battling it for 6 years.  For example, his first year Bantams he played Bantam A, half his team, if we were based in ND/SD/MN would have been PeeWees, and frankly those kids would have torn up most Pee Wee teams they played, A or AA.  But throw 12/13 year olds up against 15 yr olds, huge difference.

That's good to hear. I had a friend in college who was all state in SD and I hadn't played competitive hockey since 4th grade but could still take him out behind the wood shed on the ice.