SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A ND school joining a Minnesota league is pretty unlikely.  I still wouldn't be surprised to see a AAA midget team with a big time sponsor or a number of big time sponsors get created.

I recall Karl Goehring and The Hockey Academy at REA floating out the idea of a AAA Midget team in Grand Forks a few years ago and it got a very cold reception.

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

With how fast Bismarck, West Fargo and Fargo are growing, I imagine they are going to have big numbers to reload as well. Minot hockey isn't going anywhere anytime soon either. Again, GF is easily the top dog, but it's not like they never have any competition. 

Ogie, my kid's Bantam team played a bunch of NoDak programs this past season and over the past several years.  This year we split two good games against Bismarck Red & White, beat Devil's Lake really bad, were tied with the Sugarkings and gave up a GW in the final minute of the game, and have had our share of games with the Fargo teams, West Fargo, and Fargo Angels over the years.  Grand Forks is on another level and are going to be loaded going forward the next several years. 

When I analyze youth programs I go right to the roots, I look at Mite numbers, and the GF program is loaded with numbers of Mite players.  GFYHA isn't dropping off anytime soon which means GFC and GFRR aren't dropping off either.  Fargo youth numbers will continue to grow but they have to feed several schools.

2 minutes ago, lawkota said:

I recall Karl Goehring and The Hockey Academy at REA floating out the idea of a AAA Midget team in Grand Forks a few years ago and it got a very cold reception.

This would not shock me as the hockey world is changing fast.  Even Sioux Falls is in the AAA game with the Jr. Stampede.

16 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

When I analyze youth programs I go right to the roots, I look at Mite numbers, and the GF program is loaded with numbers of Mite players.  GFYHA isn't dropping off anytime soon which means GFC and GFRR aren't dropping off either.  Fargo youth numbers will continue to grow but they have to feed several schools.

I think this composite on the wall at ICON is impressive.

IMG_20170210_1256352.thumb.jpg.c05976803dfed095002e4859c5c3d2af.jpg

Grand Forks hockey from termite to high school.  On a strictly per capita basis, I wonder if GF doesn't have one of the highest hockey participation rates in the country.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The New Ralph kids are just reaching "maturity".

Coincidence back to back different gf teams win state titles going undefeated?

Also the number of GGF kids on UND's roster in recent years.  Almost all of them have taken advantage of The Hockey Academy.

51 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I'm willing to bet an all gf team would dominate section 8aa

be equivalent of Moorhead with one school

An all GF team would be better than Moorhead. I just looked at similar opponents and the grand forks teams had similar scoring margins and that's looking at GFC and RR separately.

6 minutes ago, Big Green said:

No Chnace Mn allowes a team from ND to join MN Hight school hockey.

I would be more interested in a SD/ND jointed state tourneyment.  top 4 from each state.  Why to easy to make the ND State tourney now..

Ok I started this topic....I was joking.  Clearly in high school sports you cant cross state lines.  i just like what was done with bantams, creating one team and playing a MN AA schedule.  It would be cool to see high school age kids get to do that.  

13 minutes ago, Big Green said:

No Chnace Mn allowes a team from ND to join MN Hight school hockey.

I would be more interested in a SD/ND jointed state tourneyment.  top 4 from each state.  Why to easy to make the ND State tourney now..

Is ND HS hockey a varsity sanctioned sport?  In SD hockey is not a HS sanctioned sport, it is club and is registered with USA Hockey High School Division.

I would love to see this happen though.  It would be good for SoDak hockey, though none of the teams here would be able to beat the GF teams either, but would provide more competition for the rest of the schools to play.

4 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Is ND HS hockey a varsity sanctioned sport?  In SD hockey is not a HS sanctioned sport, it is club and is registered with USA Hockey High School Division.

I would love to see this happen though.  It would be good for SoDak hockey, though none of the teams here would be able to beat the GF teams either, but would provide more competition for the rest of the schools to play.

Yes, it's a varsity sport.

Red River and Central swept EGF this year.  EGF is projected by most to win Section 8A and probably be the #5 seed at State.  Moorhead also beat EGF and Moorhead is projected and will probably win 8AA.  In MN Class A, the class of the field is Hermantown, Breck, Delano and mix St Cloud Cathedral and Mahtomedi in there, then EGF, there is your top 6 in MN Class A.  If you really want to play with the big boys, Edina, Eden Prairie, Stillwater, and Elk River are your targets but that is were the depth comes in and, as good Central and Red are, the top of Class AA would beat them.  Say...#8 and down in AA and #2 and down in A, Central and Red River are right there this year.

Central crossed the river and played EGF twice (local, crosstown rival), Warroad (normally a good choice but the Warriors are down this year) and Detroit Lakes (a middle of the pack Section 8A team playing in a terrible Mid State Conference, they are no test to anybody).  Sweep.

Red River crossed the river and played EGF twice (local, crosstown rival) and Detroit Lakes (a middle of the pack Section 8A team playing in a terrible Mid State Conference, they are no test to anybody).  Sweep.

With their location on the Minnesota border, the GF schools are no better or worse off than EGF.  EGF heads down to the cities and plays Breck, Tonino-Grace, St. Cloud Cathedral on a regular basis and has also added Class AA Blaine for a couple year.

EGF should only play Central and Red River one game each each season and schedule more top Minnesota teams.  That would clear up some schedule space for Central and Red River to schedule some top Minnesota A or AA teams, or at least schedule Moorhead a game each season and you won't even have to go that far.

Central and Red River are setting themselves up as their own class in ND hockey and nobody seems able to derail that. 

Play Minnesota Hockey!

6 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

Red River and Central swept EGF this year.  EGF is projected by most to win Section 8A and probably be the #5 seed at State.  Moorhead also beat EGF and Moorhead is projected and will probably win 8AA.  In MN Class A, the class of the field is Hermantown, Breck, Delano and mix St Cloud Cathedral and Mahtomedi in there, then EGF, there is your top 6 in MN Class A.  If you really want to play with the big boys, Edina, Eden Prairie, Stillwater, and Elk River are your targets but that is were the depth comes in and, as good Central and Red are, the top of Class AA would beat them.  Say...#8 and down in AA and #2 and down in A, Central and Red River are right there this year.

Central crossed the river and played EGF twice (local, crosstown rival), Warroad (normally a good choice but the Warriors are down this year) and Detroit Lakes (a middle of the pack Section 8A team playing in a terrible Mid State Conference, they are no test to anybody).  Sweep.

Red River crossed the river and played EGF twice (local, crosstown rival) and Detroit Lakes (a middle of the pack Section 8A team playing in a terrible Mid State Conference, they are no test to anybody).  Sweep.

With their location on the Minnesota border, the GF schools are no better or worse off than EGF.  EGF heads down to the cities and plays Breck, Tonino-Grace, St. Cloud Cathedral on a regular basis and has also added Class AA Blaine for a couple year.

EGF should only play Central and Red River one game each each season and schedule more top Minnesota teams.  That would clear up some schedule space for Central and Red River to schedule some top Minnesota A or AA teams, or at least schedule Moorhead a game each season and you won't even have to go that far.

Central and Red River are setting themselves up as their own class in ND hockey and nobody seems able to derail that. 

Play Minnesota Hockey!

What happened to Bloomington and apple valley etc. coming to that holiday tourney in GF? If I remember right, the gf teams didn't pose much of a threat and got beat down most of the time so thr Mnpls teams pulled out. Now gf resorted to inviting the Bismarck teams over for it.