SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Grafton was 4-19 this season. 3 of those 4 wins were against garbage MN teams. MN has plenty of elite HS teams but they have many garbage programs as well. Teams worse than a bottom feeder ND team. 

Fargo South who didn't even make state and were a mediocre team in ND were 4-1-1 vs MN teams. 

So I have been streaming the games today from my desk at work.  I couldn't get the feed to go full screen on my phone, kind of annoying.  Tomorrow I will probably be home since we're set to get 16 inches of snow overnight combined with 40 mph winds.  Are these games on Midco Sports or a Midco Sports alternate channel.

Devils Lake is 2-1 vs MN teams. They have made the championship game in the Roseau holiday tourney 3 out of 3 years and winning it once out of those three. 

In Minnesota you get tons of hockey and you hear a lot about the best teams. Behind the scenes their HS hockey is diluted by A LOT of poor programs. 

Im done now. 

10 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Grafton was 4-19 this season. 3 of those 4 wins were against garbage MN teams. MN has plenty of elite HS teams but they have many garbage programs as well. Teams worse than a bottom feeder ND team. 

I never said Kittson Central, Detroit Lakes, or Osseo were great teams.  Kittson won 1 game this season, Detroit Lakes cherry picked a bottom feeder schedule.  Osseo, demographics are changing in the metro, Osseo is not in a strong hockey area.  Just like there is 1 hockey team representing the actual city of Minneapolis.  Richfield shut down their program.  The power is in the suburbs.

But, like Detroit Lakes, Central and Red River are cherry picking an entire league.  Central has scored double digits six times this year including today (10,12,10,12,11,16,10) all against ND teams and Red River scored double digits twice (11 and 10) and 9 goals four times and one was Detroit Lakes.

So North Dakota hockey is better because Central and Red River run the score up on their entire league and, as you put it, garbage Minnesota teams.

Load up the bus and at least drive to Moorhead or Hermantown.  Maybe Elk River or Wayzata?

If you are gonna say you are the best, play the BEST!

• Upvote 2

Just now, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Haha exactly! That's what I'm trying to say here. 

I do not disagree with you at all.  Their top teams are pretty good, damn good, some of the best U18 teams in the country.  Their bottom ones, there's some pretty bad ones, downright horrible if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

I never said Kittson Central, Detroit Lakes, or Osseo were great teams.  Kittson won 1 game this season, Detroit Lakes cherry picked a bottom feeder schedule.  Osseo, demographics are changing in the metro, Osseo is not in a strong hockey area.  Just like there is 1 hockey team representing the actual city of Minneapolis.  Richfield shut down their program.  The power is in the suburbs.

But, like Detroit Lakes, Central and Red River are cherry picking an entire league.  Central has scored double digits six times this year including today (10,12,10,12,11,16,10) all against ND teams and Red River scored double digits twice (11 and 10) and 9 goals four times and one was Detroit Lakes.

So North Dakota hockey is better because Central and Red River run the score up on their entire league and, as you put it, garbage Minnesota teams.

Load up the bus and at least drive to Moorhead or Hermantown.  Maybe Elk River or Wayzata?

Osseo is not a good high school team but Osseo/Maple Grove puts out some good youth teams.  Is it because they are feeding two HS programs and might lose some others to privates?  I remember reading about a huge dust-up at OMGHA where Maple Grove wanted to split off from Osseo and Osseo would probably end up co-oping with somebody else, maybe North Metro?  I don't think there are a ton of Osseo kids at OMGHA.

Unfortunately for the GF schools none of those big name Minnesota schools outside of Warroad, EGF, Roseau will schedule them.  The closest those schools get to Grand Forks is when they play Moorhead.  Which begs the question, why doesn't Moorhead schedule Red River or Central?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

Im not arguing that Minnesota doesn't have any elite teams, I've already said they do. I'm just arguing that more teams doesn't necessarily mean all around higher quality...it was directed at your bigger and better comment. overall Minnesota has more than enough poor programs to make up for their top 10% elite teams. That's all I was trying to point out. So I'm talking per capita here not top dogs vs tops dogs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Bigger, not better. 

So here you are insinuating that ND hockey is better.  We both agree MN is bigger with 87 Class A teams and 70 Class AA teams, for 157 total.

But you are arguing ND is better because Central and Red River crush ALL the ND High School competition, and besides EGF, play Minnesota teams that are sub .500 and then you rattle off some non-tournament teams from ND that also beat sub .500 MN teams yet not even Central or Red River play top MN competition other than EGF?

Moorhead won't schedule us.  The big names won't come up north.  EGF, TRF, and Crookston have arrangments worked out where Breck, St Cloud Cathedral, Blake, Tartan come up and the northern teams travel down.  Blaine came all the way up to EGF in a blizzard on New Years weekend for one game vs EGF and went back home.  Enter the Schawn Cup over the holidays or go to the Hermantown or Duluth Marshall holiday tournaments.

Or is it more fun to kick the dog dirt out of weaker, small town ND and MN teams by 10+ goals, go undefeated without testing yourself, then beat your chest about how great you are.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Has SD hockey been improving? I know it was absolutely garbage recently but haven't seen a game in about 6 years.

Looking at ND High School Hockey site, Rushmore(Rapid City) has played against a few of the western teams this year: Tied Dickinson 5-5; W vs Williston 1-0, L to Dickinson 5-3, . . Oahe(Pierre) tied Williston 1-1; lost to Dickinson 4-3, Beat Williston 4-3; L to Dickinson 6-1; and L to Mandan 1-0.  I know Rushmore JV beat beat Hazen/Beulah 7-5 (not indicative of much). 

In SD Rushmore is 13-1-1, ranked 2nd in state. Don't know how many players they lost to Jr. Stampede AAA if any.