SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I was owed that for 23 years or something like that of losing in the first round....:lol:

Minot got an incredible draw in 2015, and had a goaltending performance in all three games that was nothing short of heroic from the Effertz kid.  They played a perfect game against Central, and probably lose 9 out of 10 times to that Central team.  

If they manage to get by Davies I don't think history will repeat itself in Fargo. 

I thought the Minot team the previous year was actually better. 

But yeah, that central game was unreal. But don't get me wrong, I was happy to see a non-gf team win. 

Even their win over high was strange compared to the other two times earlier that year. And once again, them beating DL after getting handled by them two times earlier in the season was again kind of strange.

I would have slapped a 40:1 odds on them winning it all but they did it and that's all that matters! Hockey is a crazy game. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I thought the Minot team the previous year was actually better. 

But yeah, that central game was unreal. But don't get me wrong, I was happy to see a non-gf team win. 

Even their win over high was strange compared to the other two times earlier that year. And once again, them beating DL after getting handled by them two times earlier in the season was again kind of strange.

I would have slapped a 40:1 odds on them winning it all but they did it and that's all that matters! Hockey is a crazy game. 

Things that went really well for Minot that year:

-Tournament in Fargo.

-Devils Lake beating Red River at EDC although they got outshot by like 25 shots.  Minot avoided RR or Central first round.  

-As previously mentioned.....unreal goaltending.  98 shots-95 Saves

-Fargo South Shanley kid taking a five minute major in the third period with them up 1-0 in the semifinals.  Minot scored twice on that power play, tacks on empty netter, wins 3-1.  

-Central absolutely rolling through Bismarck High in the other semifinals.  Think they thought that was the title game.  

You are right, Minot has sent much better teams to the state tournament, but that team found a way to win three 2-1 games in three days.  

With regard to GF hosting the Tourneyment every year can't UND just flex there muscle with the NCHC and be on the road the last Weekend of February every year?  The Women could play early afternoon Friday, Saturday and Sunday if need be.  We need to find a way to get this Tourneyment in GF every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

With regard to GF hosting the Tourneyment every year can't UND just flex there muscle with the NCHC and be on the road the last Weekend of February every year?  The Women could play early afternoon Friday, Saturday and Sunday if need be.  We need to find a way to get this Tourneyment in GF every year.

Minot will be pushing for it now since they have their new arena up. 

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

The University gets priority not the North Dakota High School State Hockey Tournament at the REA. The women's team shouldn't have to play earlier or play in a different arena when hosting the Women's WCHA Turnament games just to benefit the state high school hockey tournament. The Men's team shouldn't have to be out of town when they should have a home game to benefit the state high school hockey tournament. 

Someone on here has said the attendance for the state tournament at the REA has been poor, if Scheels Arena is fuller for the state high school hockey tournament then have it there. The REA will make more money any weekend the men's team is in town over the state high school hockey tournament.

• Upvote 3

Just now, cberkas said:

The University gets priority not the North Dakota High School State Hockey Tournament at the REA. The women's team shouldn't have to play earlier or play in a different arena when hosting the Women's WCHA Turnament games just to benefit the state high school hockey tournament. The Men's team shouldn't have to be out of town when they should have a home game to benefit the state high school hockey tournament. 

Someone on here has said the attendance for the state tournament at the REA has been poor, if Scheels Arena is fuller for the state high school hockey tournament then have it there. The REA will make more money any weekend the men's team is in town over the state high school hockey tournament.

The Men's team is not reducing the number of home games by being out of town that weekend.  You would be still have the same number of home game just on a different weekend.  The women already play at 2 moving it to 1 would not be that big of a deal.   The community supports that university they should help to support the community.

The Men were rarely at home that weekend in the WCHA.  Something had to have changed.

11 minutes ago, Big Green said:

The Men's team is not reducing the number of home games by being out of town that weekend.  You would be still have the same number of home game just on a different weekend.  The women already play at 2 moving it to 1 would not be that big of a deal.   The community supports that university they should help to support the community.

The Men were rarely at home that weekend in the WCHA.  Something had to have changed.

I'm sure the fans and the men's team would like to have 3 straight weekends at home heading into the first round in he NCHC tournament, then at home on the road because of the state tournament, then back home for the final weekend. 

And when the men's team is out of town the women's team should play in the  evening like they do. 

It looks like the state tournament is moving out of Grand Forks for good and money is the reason why, Scheels Arena has two sheets of ice.

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I'm sure the fans and the men's team would like to have 3 straight weekends at home heading into the first round in he NCHC tournament, then at home on the road because of the state tournament, then back home for the final weekend. 

And when the men's team is out of town the women's team should play in the  evening like they do. 

It looks like the state tournament is moving out of Grand Forks for good and money is the reason why, Scheels Arena has two sheets of ice.

And that second sheet of ice at Scheels is much better than the Olympic sized rink at REA. The seating is way better and the boards are lively. They did it right. 

8 minutes ago, cberkas said:

When was the last time they ending season with 3 straight weekends at home before the first round of the playoffs?  Doing that would mean being of the road a lot more earlier in the season.

Yes Scheels areana is better for the State tourney, but the REA is a better arena.  I would think HS players would enjoy playing at the REA. 

I think State touneyment need to be spread out amoug the 4 major cities in ND.  Fargo shold not get everything,

8 minutes ago, Big Green said:

no idea, but I would think its got to be more that 2400.

Tournament consolidations have lowered expenses, a necessity because attendance has dropped steadily. The state hockey championship game typically averaged 6,000 fans before 2002, when it attracted a record crowd of 9,191 under a perfect storm of conditions.

It was the arena's first year, so there was curiosity. Secondly, the only way to see the game in real time was in the arena because the Olympics were shown live while the game was tape-delayed. And, the championship matched Grand Forks Central and Grafton, teams with big followings.

Since then, tournament attendance has declined.

"In recent years, the championship game has attracted fewer than 4,000 people," Olson said. "But, all of our tournaments are down. There are fewer and fewer people in rural North Dakota."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/fewer-state-hockey-tourneys-coming-grand-forks

Definitely Minot is not big enough. So nevermind. :blush:

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

From what the Herald said it is going to continue to rotate between Fargo and Grand Forks. 

47 minutes ago, tnt said:

From what the Herald said it is going to continue to rotate between Fargo and Grand Forks. 

At first I didn't like this. It was hard to imagine state hockey not at the REA. But it has grown on me and I think it makes more sense. Spread the love a little bit. GF teams already get home advantage for EDC. Adding home advantage for the state tourney every year seemed a little unfair. Lets be honest, the GF teams don't need anymore advantages. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

At first I didn't like this. It was hard to imagine state hockey not at the REA. But it has grown on me and I think it makes more sense. Spread the love a little bit. GF teams already get home advantage for EDC. Adding home advantage for the state tourney every year seemed a little unfair. Lets be honest, the GF teams don't need anymore advantages. 

That, and maybe people in Grand Forks won't take it for granted since it isn't here every year. 

I'm not a fan of Fargo hosting the tournament seeing they host almost everything and me being a GF fanboy, but have to admit Scheels Arena is perfect arena for the high school hockey tournament and Fargo is the largest city by Far in North Dakota which means it'll basically always have very good attendance.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

I'm not a fan of Fargo hosting the tournament seeing they host almost everything and me being a GF fanboy, but have to admit Scheels Arena is perfect arena for the high school hockey tournament and Fargo is the largest city by Far in North Dakota which means it'll basically always have very good attendance.

Based on this logic, every single tournament should be there. Even the Boy's Class B.

If you wanted to start a civil war between the east and west, taking the Boy's Class B tournament away from Bismarck and giving it to Fargo would probably do it.

• Upvote 1