SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A was good enough for T.J. Oshie and Brock Nelson. The AA hockey snobs in the Cities are the same people who think the Gophers should stick with an all-Minnesota team and that UND has 25 year old Canadians.

I grew up in GF so I am very well aware of A hockey (and respect it more than most).  However, there is a very large gap between AA and A MN hockey.....from a depth perspective.

I only brought it up because it would be interesting to see what an all GF team would do in a AA MN schedule.  I think they would be pretty dang good.

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I grew up in GF so I am very well aware of A hockey (and respect it more than most).  However, there is a very large gap between AA and A MN hockey.....from a depth perspective.

I only brought it up because it would be interesting to see what an all GF team would do in a AA MN schedule.  I think they would be pretty dang good.

I agree with you.

Okay guys, I get that GF is obviously the dominant hockey town in ND, but I think we are a getting A LITTLE excited by saying GF schools should leave ND to play in MN. First off...Grand Forks is in North Dakota! Second off, people were saying the exact opposite thing just last year after the first round when one of the all time best RR teams only beat the #4 team out west 4-1. It looked like the state had hockey skill spreading out a little. Again people were saying the same thing after Minot and BHS went back to back as state champs. I think this game was an outlier. This is one of the all time best GFC teams, and a very poor showing for the 2-4 from the West teams even by the West's standards this season. Lets not get too excited!! I'd be a little more worried if GFC was about to win a 6-7th straight championship by a GF school. Hell Central hasn't won it all in 7 years. 

6 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

How many sheets of ice are there in Fargo/West Fargo these days?

5 in Fargo - 6 if you count the Angels Arena (old SunMart Arena) - Coliseum, Teamsters, South High, 2 at Southwest

2 at Scheels Arena (main rink and Farmer's Union)

2 at WF high school

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Okay guys, I get that GF is obviously the dominant hockey town in ND, but I think we are a getting A LITTLE excited by saying GF schools should leave ND to play in MN. First off...Grand Forks is in North Dakota! Second off, people were saying the exact opposite thing just last year after the first round when one of the all time best RR teams only beat the #4 team out west 4-1. It looked like the state had hockey skill spreading out a little. Again people were saying the same thing after Minot and BHS went back to back as state champs. I think this game was an outlier. This is one of the all time best GFC teams, and a very poor showing for the 2-4 from the West teams even by the West's standards this season. Lets not get too excited!! I'd be a little more worried if GFC was about to win a 6-7th straight championship by a GF school. Hell Central hasn't won it all in 7 years. 

With that said, I'm pretty confident an all GF team would do more than hold their own in AA MN hockey. But I think other schools in ND bring enough to the table to keep things interesting for the GF schools. 

1 minute ago, Ray77 said:

5 in Fargo - 6 if you count the Angels Arena (old SunMart Arena) - Coliseum, Teamsters, South High, 2 at Southwest

2 at Scheels Arena (main rink and Farmer's Union)

2 at WF high school

Isn't that SunMart arena the one with like 10 foot tall ceilings above the ice? Classic shack! 

There was some hand wringing about Buffalo, MN having to travel 300 miles one way on a school night for a section playoff game this week.  MN 8AA is so spread out and there are so few AA teams up in that area that they are pulling teams from St. Cloud and south into that section.  Easy fix is to have the GF and Fargo schools play as a part of MN hockey and join Class AA.  Would result in more AA teams in that section of MN.

I say this knowing full well this probably will not go over to well in both MN and ND.  I just look at it from a perspective of "if there were no imaginary line" basis.

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Given how deep GF is at Bantams right now, the GF schools will be reloading going forward.

With how fast Bismarck, West Fargo and Fargo are growing, I imagine they are going to have big numbers to reload as well. Minot hockey isn't going anywhere anytime soon either. Again, GF is easily the top dog, but it's not like they never have any competition. 

A ND school joining a Minnesota league is pretty unlikely.  I still wouldn't be surprised to see a AAA midget team with a big time sponsor or a number of big time sponsors get created.

1-1 now Minot and Davies.  Can't see either team upsetting Central. 

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

With how fast Bismarck, West Fargo and Fargo are growing, I imagine they are going to have big numbers to reload as well. Minot hockey isn't going anywhere anytime soon either. Again, GF is easily the top dog, but it's not like they never have any competition. 

Back in 07 when Central didn't even make it to the State tourney people were losing their minds thinking Central hockey was collapsing. Now this season it's the opposite. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

A ND school joining a Minnesota league is pretty unlikely.  I still wouldn't be surprised to see a AAA midget team with a big time sponsor or a number of big time sponsors get created.

1-1 now Minot and Davies.  Can't see either team upsetting Central. 

Nope, Central has a whole 'nother gear than both of these teams. Davies failed to show they could have a chance against central when they played this season. Even Davies best against Central's worst night probably won't do it. They do have a goalie who can stand on their head...so that might keep a glimmer of hope alive for them if they get past Minot but very unlikely.