SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

I believe the title of 'run game coordinator' was in play at EWU for Maurice.

Kind of ironic given EWU's offense.

Surprisingly, they rushed for 1800 yards as a team last year but their leading rusher was their QB for 606 yards.

Losing Kupp will change things for them, but they will still be chucking the ball around quite a bit.

On 3/3/2017 at 5:36 PM, MadScout03 said:

Move Freund to recruiting coordinator and hire a RB coach.  Not only do I think he's the right guy for the job, but hiring for a position vs hiring for a position and recruiting coordinator who needs to learn the landscape in a hurry, will be a much smoother transition. 

Not a bad idea at all.  

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, MadScout03 said:

Move Freund to recruiting coordinator and hire a RB coach.  Not only do I think he's the right guy for the job, but hiring for a position vs hiring for a position and recruiting coordinator who needs to learn the landscape in a hurry, will be a much smoother transition. 

Good suggestion.  He's a UND guy through and through in that he spent his entire playing career here and then became an assistant coach, and the fact that he survived the transition in coaches says a lot about what Bubba thinks of him.  I think he'd be a great enthusiastic salesman for UND football.

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I hope he likes second place.

Looking at the coaching staff they're putting together, they may struggle to reach 2nd.  Pulling their offensive coordinator and I believe at least one position coach from the high school ranks seems pretty risky.

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Apparently they finally got the details hammered out.

I don't like this at all. 

UND needs to continue to look for ways to improve assistant coach salaries; it's an absolute must.

I have a ton of respect for Coach Maurice - real nice guy - but this move within the conference is not real likeable.

I hope UND pounds EWU in the Alerus this upcoming season. 

Go Hawks! 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't like this at all. 

UND needs to continue to look for ways to improve assistant coach salaries; it's an absolute must.

I have a ton of respect for Coach Maurice - real nice guy - but this move within the conference is not real likeable.

I hope UND pounds EWU in the Alerus this upcoming season. 

Go Hawks! 

Didn't coaches just get a salary bump?

These decisions are not always made purely on a fiscal basis. As others stated, he may have seen more opportunity to move into a coordinator role.

Not going to keep all your coaches forever. Some want bigger things. Which, IF UND is happy with their coordinators, won't be changing.

20 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Didn't coaches just get a salary bump?

These decisions are not always made purely on a fiscal basis. As others stated, he may have seen more opportunity to move into a coordinator role.

Not going to keep all your coaches forever. Some want bigger things. Which, IF UND is happy with their coordinators, won't be changing.

Finances are always a factor, but not always the deciding factor. 

Dont be naive to the point where you think UND's assistant salary pool is now leading the conference. It isn't. Thus, there is yet plenty of work to do in that area; don't be complacent. Also, losing coaches is one thing but losing coaches to the same position of a conference rival is different. Please don't invest in sugarcoating. I do expect UND football to be fine in the end.

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Finances are always a factor, but not always the deciding factor. 

Dont be naive to the point where you think UND's assistant salary pool is now leading the conference. It isn't. Thus, there is yet plenty of work to do in that area; don't be complacent. Also, losing coaches is one thing but losing coaches to the same position of a conference rival is different. Please don't invest in sugarcoating. I do expect UND football to be fine in the end.

Agreed, UND is not where is needs to be in the salary conversation. But it doesn't jump up overnight. Especially with budget issues. Like you said, they'll be fine in the end.

• Upvote 1

Eastern is looking to improve its running game.
Maurice was probably looking to get closer to a coast (more chances for career moves).
Eastern, as a bonus, gets a guy who knows UND's running game.
Eastern probably thinks it'll make a difference.

Little do they know ....

The New Four Horsemen can not be stopped. 

50 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Whoa, there's a game scheduled which doesn't feature Montana or Montana State.  How'd that get on there?!?!?

I thought that was kind of strange to until I realized they are doing a doubleheader on 11/18 and UM/MSU play each other. Surprised they aren't just showing a replay of the game once it was completed. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I thought that was kind of strange to until I realized they are doing a doubleheader on 11/18 and UM/MSU play each other. Surprised they aren't just showing a replay of the game once it was completed. 

No kidding. But the live with home team announcers and the replay with the visitors'. :silly:

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Whoa, there's a game scheduled which doesn't feature Montana or Montana State.  How'd that get on there?!?!?

Well fresh off their playoff runs, the fan bases in Montana are hungry for more, makes sense to me.  (Queing Jim Mora)

54 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Such a great deal.  Montanas get to play on a regional network, so no fox college sports games for anyone in the conference.  Makes sense.

Yeah, I really don't understand why that has not been renegotiated at all. Like CBS Sports and the NCHC did. Let Roots sports pick its schedule, then let the schools schedule their broadcasts around that.

Can't wait for ESPN3

• Upvote 4

Super excited for hockey this weekend, but just watch some football highlights from last season. Oh man! Can't wait for some football!

So much talent coming back for North Dakota. Time to put it all together and make a deep run!

Senior QB

4 Horsemen

Reyes

Harris

Mercer

So much more!

What is not to like about this team!

• Upvote 2