SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State Game Day

Sioux94

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

One receiver would transform the offense into a juggernaut? Not buying it.

Well...IF the opposition has to put their best guy on Clive AND possibly even double team him, that leaves a lesser guy on Toivonen or Wanzek whom they may be able to out maneuver. And IF they are concerned at all about Clive, then they can not stack the box like they've done which should open up the running game. I'd like to see more Gordon in the back field, with Santiago wide out.

• Upvote 2

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Taking the top off of the defense changes everything. Everyone knows that.

Yeah, I get that, but you made it sound like we would turn into the 1984 San Francisco 49ers if we had Clive. Would it help to have him? Of course. But I don't think we would start putting up Eastern Washington type numbers if we did have him back.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

One receiver would transform the offense into a juggernaut? Not buying it.

It can, I lived it before, Martey Jenkins was his name. Clive was close to that because he could get himself open on almost any play.  Then, 3rd down conversions increase, the field is stretched, can't put 8 in the box without giving up a shitburger or 2 over the top for TDs.  

• Upvote 1

Stanley is missed dearly with his fantastic blocking.  Demun has some growing up to do with his blocking skills. 

Still like the idea of having santiago out wide occasionally with brady and Gordon at rb.   When they lined Santaigo out wide against cal poly, his one catch and run was brilliant.  Do teams double him out there???  

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It can, I lived it before, Martey Jenkins was his name. Clive was close to that because he could get himself open on almost any play.  Then, 3rd down conversions increase, the field is stretched, can't put 8 in the box without giving up a shitburger or 2 over the top for TDs.  

MarTay Jenkins was a player.

Demun isn't close to Clive, someone asked earlier.

We might have to accept that our O-line can't be dominate against average talent with 8 and 9 in the box.  Cal Poly is a 'read' defense and that is great for us.  Attacking defenses give us fits!!  We need an adjustment.  Paging Rudy----

One more point, our players said Weber St. was legit, talented and well coached.

37 minutes ago, siouxperfanman said:

can someone explain to me what the dis concerning signals call was for that gave weber the automatic first down??

Trying to get Weber to jump by making a hut or some type of sound to make them jump. Not sure why anyone would try that on a field goal. It was also called by the ref way over at the sideline.... a very curious thing but pretty much par for Big Sky refs. 

7 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Regarding taubs kicking I noticed he was kicking touchbacks at Idaho state ( elevation 4,462) so there is a chance he boots the ball 10-15 yards farther per kick in Greeley (4,659) than he was on Saturday. This is assuming the wind isn't nasty.

We need to figure something out because UNC has returners that could hang 30 on us.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Absolutely. Just idiotic that this hasnt been drawn up and executed. There are several times where if Santiago, not Toivonen, had received the jet sweep, UND would've scored. 

I keep hoping this and a lot of other obvious plays we should be running are being held back for the playoff run.  If we make the playoffs and don't have some surprises in store on offense, I will be getting g off the Rudy bus.  

I will take these receivers everytime.  Give me same talent with 4.3 or 4.4 speed, I agree that's better, but these guys who have caught passes all year even when they weren't great throws are money.  They also block well.  I don't care if we can't run the reverse or sweep with them, they are usually open on the break which is when the ball should be there.  We have three very good RB's  we shouldn't have to rely on our receivers very often to run the ball.  

54 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I will take these receivers everytime.  Give me same talent with 4.3 or 4.4 speed, I agree that's better, but these guys who have caught passes all year even when they weren't great throws are money.  They also block well.  I don't care if we can't run the reverse or sweep with them, they are usually open on the break which is when the ball should be there.  We have three very good RB's  we shouldn't have to rely on our receivers very often to run the ball.  

I don't even care if the fast guy drops a few the fact that he would actually have speed to threaten over the top is enough to open everything up.

And even though our backs are studs we need to be able to pass to keep the defense from going with 8 and sometimes 9 in the box. We need balance.

On 10/29/2016 at 9:40 PM, SiouxDini said:

For the love of God can we please get someone to turn down the volume on the music and PA!  It's ridiculous when half the people are plugging their ears.  I personally know a few who have left or won't come because of it.  Cripes I'm in my thirties and love loud music but c'mon Alerus Center get real.

It depends where you are sitting. I was in 217 two weeks ago and was terrible, my ears never hurt that bad.  Put fingers in my ears as soon as noise came out of speakers. Lots of people covered their ears. Now this Saturday I sat in 205 and it wasn't bad. I called the ADept and complained, try doing the same.  It is so bad that it needs to get corrected.  What section were you in?

On 10/29/2016 at 9:49 PM, homer said:

May as well let the opposing coaches yell the plays in than. 

Homer with comets like you are making, you absolutely don't understand the point we are making.  We are not saying, lower the noise all over so the opposing team doesn't have a visiting team's disadvantage. How stupid do you think we are????????  Some sections are so bad it literally hurts your ears, apparently your not in one of those sections.  Is it not possible to identify the bad spots and only turn those speakers down some, or some remedy?  By the way, the critical noise for home field advantage during the play needs to be loud and come from the fans. That fan noise won't pierce you ears.  I've sat all over the Engelstad Arena over the last 15 years and never has noise from speakers hurt my ears. 

On 10/29/2016 at 9:40 PM, SiouxDini said:

For the love of God can we please get someone to turn down the volume on the music and PA!  It's ridiculous when half the people are plugging their ears.  I personally know a few who have left or won't come because of it.  Cripes I'm in my thirties and love loud music but c'mon Alerus Center get real.

The Alerius Center told me that the UND Athletic Department has total control of speakers during football game.

On 10/29/2016 at 9:43 PM, geaux_sioux said:

They should get new speakers with a richer sound. Cranking it wouldn't be as much of a problem then.

And they'll loose more and more fans till that ever happens.  What's wrong with looking into it?  We're trying to get more and more fans to come to the games and if we chase out some fans with these loud spots, were fighting an uphill battle.

49 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

After re watching the game I noticed that Norberg had a terrible game blocking. Santiago multiple time beat the unblocked man only to be tackled by Norbergs.  The OL is sealing the edges but we've been one block away from some huge plays way too many times this season.

Do we ever line Brady up at FB? Allow him to make a hole, and sometimes hand to him on FB run? Make the defense acknowledge both guys

10 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Do we ever line Brady up at FB? Allow him to make a hole, and sometimes hand to him on FB run? Make the defense acknowledge both guys

Not Brady, but Norberg has had some good runs and opportunities.  Someone with high authority said Weber didn't give us a sniff with that play all game.  That's why we didn't run it.  I still would of liked to see it tried 1 time........