SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

43 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And UND would face immediate sanctions if they used any of it, so there is that. 

Releasing throwback merchandise to general public to keep trademarks active is nowhere in the same neighborhood as the athletic department issuing only gear with the current name and logo. 

I commented about you saying "why would they issue anything with Sioux on it". I don't think they issue gear to every employee at UND, I'm sure the person telling you about the new rule wasn't talking to a head coach, just an employee. Can't they buy as the "general public"?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Acceptance of the name is happening. Seeing more fighting hawk gear at the Ralph....and waay less booing. If the students want to chant Sioux forever....big deal. At least they are there, start to finish, making noise. But lets get rid of the whose he, he sucks !@#$, cheer....its old, lame and embarrassing.

It's tradition and all in good fun, it's no big deal! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

I commented about you saying "why would they issue anything with Sioux on it". I don't think they issue gear to every employee at UND, I'm sure the person telling you about the new rule wasn't talking to a head coach, just an employee. Can't they buy as the "general public"?

The discussion was about staff in the athletic department, not every employee at UND. Many people other than head coaches are issued company clothing. Staff can be required to wear clothing with the current name and logo for work or official functions, it is done in businesses of all sizes all over the country all of the time. Just ask anyone that has worked for a company that changed their name or logo. It is all about building the brand for the organization. Athletic department staff can wear Sioux stuff at home or out grocery shopping if they want.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not disagreeing. Never said or expect UND to use anything "Sioux" at this point. Just per my conversation last night with this individual you MUST have everything and all things FH on it. Can't get just UND on something. Can't get the interlocking ND anymore. Not everyone in the athletic department is buying into the "mandate". Just saying......... I'm just a messenger.

The $24B corporation I work for just changed the name of our division.   We had no say in it as it was mandated.  There were a lot of emails regarding that we need to change email signatures and voice mail greetings to the new name, how to do it and deadlines for getting it done.  No options for us either.  UND is behaving like I would expect any large organization to.  

We fought the good fight to keep the Sioux name and lost after spending a lot of effort and money.  I was a big supporter of that fight but at some point we need to move on.  I have both Sioux and Hawks gear and wore a Sioux sweatshirt and a Fighting Hawk hat to the football game last week.  I am not anti-Sioux but I really don't understand the anti-Hawks at all costs crowd.  We aren't getting the Sioux name back, unfortunately, so lets not continue to bash our new name.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Acceptance of the name is happening. Seeing more fighting hawk gear at the Ralph....and waay less booing. If the students want to chant Sioux forever....big deal. At least they are there, start to finish, making noise. But lets get rid of the whose he, he sucks !@#$, cheer....its old, lame and embarrassing.

Where?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The $24B corporation I work for just changed the name of our division.   We had no say in it as it was mandated.  There were a lot of emails regarding that we need to change email signatures and voice mail greetings to the new name, how to do it and deadlines for getting it done.  No options for us either.  UND is behaving like I would expect any large organization to.  

We fought the good fight to keep the Sioux name and lost after spending a lot of effort and money.  I was a big supporter of that fight but at some point we need to move on.  I have both Sioux and Hawks gear and wore a Sioux sweatshirt and a Fighting Hawk hat to the football game last week.  I am not anti-Sioux but I really don't understand the anti-Hawks at all costs crowd.  We aren't getting the Sioux name back, unfortunately, so lets not continue to bash our new name.

This!!!! I think most fans of the Fighting Hawks name/logo are in this boat. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, 77iceman said:

Force Fed?  It's the only brand that UND can legally use right now . . . and keeping a brand on track takes someone to mandate how and where it gets used.  "Sioux" is no longer the school brand, and is not to be used by ANY department at UND.

It may be hard to accept, but it's not hard to understand.

That is not true

It is the legal and expected call sign on file with the Federal Aviation Administration 

22 hours ago, PhillySioux said:

However, employees of UND who are not buying into the "mandate" need to keep there personal feelings to themselves and grow up.  

Talked to the same guy again last night. Told him a bunch anonymous keyboard know-it-alls told me to tell him to shut the ____ up, grow up and just wear the F-n dove gear........and like it!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Talked to the same guy again last night. Told him a bunch anonymous keyboard know-it-alls told me to tell him to shut the ____ up, grow up and just wear the F-n dove gear........and like it!

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:  That is exactly where all of this stands now, though.

So what would be your solution?  Let certain athletic departments use the Sioux name because they just don't want the new logo?  How will that go over with the NCAA?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:  That is exactly where all of this stands now, though.

So what would be your solution?  Let certain athletic departments use the Sioux name because they just don't want the new logo?  How will that go over with the NCAA?

Again I'm just a messenger but you seem really slow to grasp a conversation I had with this individual. I have never said anywhere at anytime anything about the continued use of the Sioux name/logo at UND...and neither did he. Your argument is pointless. I don't work at UND and have no skin in the athletic department other than personal financial contributions..........and I did wear one of my Sioux jersey to the Ralph last night though.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Fighting Sioux is gone.  I've made my peace with it.  We had three years to come up with something absolutely killer!  There is NOTHING in the name Fighting Hawks that even resembles a product described in the mission statement released by the committee as far as what they would want the name to represent.  It is generic and pathetic at best.  If the university wanted to shell out money for a product other than the new logo, they should have paid a company to do a historical study on the region and/or state, and come up with a list of possible nicknames based on that.  And the thought that someone would vote for this brown paper bag of a name based on a) an adjective, or b) the idea that a logo that has anything remotely close to something that some uninformed suit at the NCAA would consider native imagery is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

So we're "keyboard know-it-alls" and you drop a bunch of f-bombs on other's behalf, but when asked for a solution there's nothing but back pedalling.

Fighting Hawks is the name, the bank logo is the new logo.  Sorry...i'm just the messenger.

No backpedaling....one word and one L by the way....here. Was never trying to make or look for a solution.....it was never my concern or problem.

4 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Omg.  Thanks for the clarifikation on my speling

You're welcome. Anytime. I'll leave the post above alone. ;) I will chalk it up to the probability that you're a relative of gfhockey.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Fighting Sioux is gone.  I've made my peace with it.  We had three years to come up with something absolutely killer!  There is NOTHING in the name Fighting Hawks that even resembles a product described in the mission statement released by the committee as far as what they would want the name to represent.  It is generic and pathetic at best.  If the university wanted to shell out money for a product other than the new logo, they should have paid a company to do a historical study on the region and/or state, and come up with a list of possible nicknames based on that.  And the thought that someone would vote for this brown paper bag of a name based on a) an adjective, or b) the idea that a logo that has anything remotely close to something that some uninformed suit at the NCAA would consider native imagery is beyond me.

Agree 100%.   I don't really like the name but have made my peace with it also

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, iluvdebbies said:

Agreed.  It's the worst, and that's saying something with the rest of the lame chants the student section uses.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2016 at 8:54 AM, bigskyvikes said:

This is the part you don't get....the announcement of FH doesn't bother me. The change can happen and I'm ok with it, I'm not bothered by FH, but I will wear my Sioux gear until it is wore out. You see the difference between you and me is I don't get all butt hurt when a college kid does something that I don't like or agree with! You know what, they are kids! Remember the time when kids did dumb things and everyone's life didn't derail? We used to let them learn from their decisions, (right or wrong decisions)! 

I want the booing from them to stop also, but I'm willing to let them do this at their own pace though. Equally I want you to stop whining about it every time it happens! Of course I'm assuming you're an adult?

The "let's go Sioux" chants still send chills down my spine! This season looks like another one where we will hear that chant a ton....loud and proud!

Let's go Sioux/Hawks! ;)

I wore a hawks shirt to the last game, but honestly, there hasn't been a strong unison cheer since the throws of Let's Go Sioux against the goofs in 2011 (at home, I'm not counting Scheel's arena). It's noticeable to me. When the whole arena had that going, it had some force and pop to it. Legitimately intimidating stuff. We haven't had that since some people stopped chanting Let's Go Sioux. 

Maybe we'll have to steal the Vikings new chant to regain some of that, haha. 

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

I wore a hawks shirt to the last game, but honestly, there hasn't been a strong unison cheer since the throws of Let's Go Sioux against the goofs in 2011 (at home, I'm not counting Scheel's arena). It's noticeable to me. When the whole arena had that going, it had some force and pop to it. Legitimately intimidating stuff. We haven't had that since some people stopped chanting Let's Go Sioux. 

Maybe we'll have to steal the Vikings new chant to regain some of that, haha. 

I hope that Viking cheer is clicking by the time I get there in November! It looks cool on their website.

The let's go Sioux chants were pretty awesome in Tampa!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Agreed.  It's the worst, and that's saying something with the rest of the lame chants the student section uses.

I always thought it would be pretty funny if we all just turned our backs to the ice when the visitor's starters were being announced.