SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can someone expound on the "negativity surrounding the school"? 

Must not be too negative......my daughter is going to attend as a freshman next fall.

I'll hang up and listen.

My son is also attending as a freshman this fall. He is there for education and landing a good job, he doesn’t care about nicknames. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

in a nutshell, Leigh Jeanotte is a Chippeawea.  Chippeaweas have had a blood feud with the Sioux for centuries.  By eliminating the use of the Sioux in college sports, the Chippeawea have marginalized their enemies even further.

One of the most pathetic individuals I have ever come in contact with. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

logos.jpg

One thing that I think is odd is that our athletic department has decided to use one logo for one athletic team and one logo for everyone else.  Yes, we all get it.  There are many fans of the hockey program that will never embrace the new Fighting Hawks logo.  but why does the University and the Athletic Department have to cave to those people just to not make them upset?  I am not trying to dig up the "we must all support the new logo" argument".  That's not what I am getting at.  I am talking about the University and Athletic Department (which has spent a lot of money on re branding the new logo) to allow a sort of "brand confusion"  by allowing the hockey team to promarily use the "North Dakota" script as their primary logo while the rest of athletic programs are using the Hawks logo.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

By allowing the hockey team to promarily use the "North Dakota" script as their primary logo while the rest of athletic programs are using the Hawks logo.  

So to summarize..."the Hawks logo needs to be at center ice and the Hawk logo on the shoulder of the jersey isn't enough."

59 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

One thing that I think is odd is that our athletic department has decided to use one logo for one athletic team and one logo for everyone else.  Yes, we all get it.  There are many fans of the hockey program that will never embrace the new Fighting Hawks logo.  but why does the University and the Athletic Department have to cave to those people just to not make them upset?  I am not trying to dig up the "we must all support the new logo" argument".  That's not what I am getting at.  I am talking about the University and Athletic Department (which has spent a lot of money on re branding the new logo) to allow a sort of "brand confusion"  by allowing the hockey team to promarily use the "North Dakota" script as their primary logo while the rest of athletic programs are using the Hawks logo.  

These two statements seem to be at odds with each other.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

So to summarize..."the Hawks logo needs to be at center ice and the Hawk logo on the shoulder of the jersey isn't enough."

18 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

These two statements seem to be at odds with each other.

My point is why is the Athletic Department not mandating that all programs use the Fighting Hawks predominately.  Everything with the hockey program uses the North Dakota script logo and not the Hawks logo.  I get it.  The majority of UND hockey fans don't like the logo, but why is the Athletic Department letting them decide how to use it?  Why let the mob rule in regards to logo implementation?  Like I said before, the University has spent thousands of dollars in re branding.  UNd has a new name and logo and what to market it.  Why not promote it with our biggest and most popular program by mandating the use of the logo by the program?  Seems like the hockey team gets a pass for not having to use the logo for reasons that seem very pety like they don't want to offend fans that haven't moved on yet primarily in the hockey fanbase.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

My point is why is the Athletic Department not mandating that all programs use the Fighting Hawks predominately.  Everything with the hockey program uses the North Dakota script logo and not the Hawks logo.  I get it.  The majority of UND hockey fans don't like the logo, but why is the Athletic Department letting them decide how to use it?  Why let the mob rule in regards to logo implementation?  Like I said before, the University has spent thousands of dollars in re branding.  UNd has a new name and logo and what to market it.  Why not promote it with our biggest and most popular program by mandating the use of the logo by the program?  Seems like the hockey team gets a pass for not having to use the logo for reasons that seem very pety like they don't want to offend fans that haven't moved on yet primarily in the hockey fanbase.

This discussion/argument has been debated ad nauseam in the previous 100 pages.

22 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

This discussion/argument has been debated ad nauseam in the previous 100 pages.

I am not referring to the rejection of the logo by the fans or the hockey program.  I am bringing up the point as to why the Administration has made the conscious decision to not mandate the use of the Fighting Hawks logo with the hockey program.  Who is making that call? Chaves?  Kennedy?  Is Berry pushing back?  Again, my point is why we are using basically 2 logos for our athletic programs.  One for hockey, another for everything else.

If you you are sick of this discussion dragging on, think of why that is.

24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am not referring to the rejection of the logo by the fans or the hockey program.  I am bringing up the point as to why the Administration has made the conscious decision to not mandate the use of the Fighting Hawks logo with the hockey program.  Who is making that call? Chaves?  Kennedy?  Is Berry pushing back?  Again, my point is why we are using basically 2 logos for our athletic programs.  One for hockey, another for everything else.

Here's a picture of UND's goalie against Wisconsin last week...I can see a logo on his shoulder; looks like some sort of bird to me.

1TtjBWLtB2pN6NK18G4GXEcXK0e-yp3w8.jpg?itok=VjYH_Ujn

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Mandate the use of the Fighting Hawks logo with the hockey program.

My point is why is the Athletic Department not mandating that all programs use the Fighting Hawks predominately. 

What's your definition of predominately? 

You think the Fighting Hawk logo on the hockey jerseys shoulder isn't enough? Must be forced to be more dominantly displayed?

You want to mandate that Berry wears the Hawk logo front on center on his shirt when he does post game pressers?

A UND hockey player wears more Fighting Hawk logos than a UND football player.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Why hasn't the Administration made every team use the North Dakota word script to follow the lead of our premier sports program? 

Hockey has 2 Hawk logos on jerseys, football has 1 and 1 on helmet.

Most schools, especially in hockey do not use their mascot or team name on their primary jerseys...maybe it is as simple as that?

Why doesn't Duke have their mascot logo on their jerseys and helmets? Maryland? North Carolina? Minnesota? Wisconsin?

• Upvote 1

A better question would be does the Dacotah Legacy collection need to be "reigned in"?

I can go buy a Fighting Sioux knit hat (among other stuff) at Scheels right now.

Doesn't seem to be any/much oversight/limitations on it? Has the university leased the trademark to that to the REA?

Just something I noticed in regards to apparel the hockey team/coaches wear.  All of it is "North Dakota Hockey" and no "Fighting Hawks Hockey" or the logo with "hockey" under it.  Also never hear hockey coached/players/etc refer to themselves as Fighting Hawks or identify the program with the Fighting Hawks.  Should it bug me?  No.  but it does.  And I am probably not alone.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just something I noticed in regards to apparel the hockey team/coaches wear.  All of it is "North Dakota Hockey" and no "Fighting Hawks Hockey" or the logo with "hockey" under it.  Also never hear hockey coached/players/etc refer to themselves as Fighting Hawks or identify the program with the Fighting Hawks.  Should it bug me?  No.  but it does.  And I am probably not alone.  

Bro, who cares. It isn't on the clothes because its UGLY and also bc its as simple as this. Hockey gear with the bird most likely doesn't sell as well as  hockey gear without the bird, and most def doesn't sell as good as the stuff with the Sioux head/Legacy logo on it. Period. *Eye Roll* 

Also, hockey fans are quite traditional... just the way it is. Pick something else to moan about. 

Go Sioux!

#Sioux4Ever

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Bro, who cares. It isn't on the clothes because its UGLY and also bc its as simple as this. Hockey gear with the bird most likely doesn't sell as well as  hockey gear without the bird, and most def doesn't sell as good as the stuff with the Sioux head/Legacy logo on it. Period. *Eye Roll* 

Also, hockey fans are quite traditional... just the way it is. Pick something else to moan about. 

Go Sioux!

#Sioux4Ever

"Traditional".  Yah... thats one way to put it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

A better question would be does the Dacotah Legacy collection need to be "reigned in"?

I can go buy a Fighting Sioux knit hat (among other stuff) at Scheels right now.

Doesn't seem to be any/much oversight/limitations on it? Has the university leased the trademark to that to the REA?

Why would it need to be “reigned in”? Looking at it from a financial standpoint, sioux stuff sells, hawks stuff doesn’t. It’s pretty simple. 

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Why hasn't the Administration made every team use the North Dakota word script to follow the lead of our premier sports program? 

Hockey has 2 Hawk logos on jerseys, football has 1 and 1 on helmet.

Most schools, especially in hockey do not use their mascot or team name on their primary jerseys...maybe it is as simple as that?

Why doesn't Duke have their mascot logo on their jerseys and helmets? Maryland? North Carolina? Minnesota? Wisconsin?

From 2001-2012 what year in the BB logo era did the logo not appear on the front of the hockey jersey? UND always had an Indian logo on their jerseys from the Blackhawk logo to the geometric logo to the BB logo except the year Baker canned the Blackhawk logo and went to generic North Dakota jerseys just like we use now and since the 2012-13 season after the name was retired. So it’s an Indian logo or nothing on the front of the hockey jerseys.