SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

As soon as you subsidize athletics via any mechanism (student fees, university funds) in reality you're running deficit because you're not able to self-sustain. What's that mean? Everyone is running a deficit save for maybe a handful of the biggest of the biggest in FBS. 

• Upvote 3

Dave St. Peter for AD.....I attended the USD football game and Faison's on field demeanor during various presentations gave the impression of an unhappy warrior, flat facial expression, slow gate, slumped shoulders....Perhaps realizing he's a short timer....I look for President Kennedy to bring in one of his Twin City 'buds' and a UND alum Dave St. Peter to run the athletic department.  St. Peter, a ND native, would be well suited for UND, he being overmatched in his present position of Twins President, may also be seeking a change of scenery.  Good fit for both UND and St. Peter....

Make it happen GOBC!!!!!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, John W. said:

Dave St. Peter for AD.....I attended the USD football game and Faison's on field demeanor during various presentations gave the impression of an unhappy warrior, flat facial expression, slow gate, slumped shoulders....Perhaps realizing he's a short timer....I look for President Kennedy to bring in one of his Twin City 'buds' and a UND alum Dave St. Peter to run the athletic department.  St. Peter, a ND native, would be well suited for UND, he being overmatched in his present position of Twins President, may also be seeking a change of scenery.  Good fit for both UND and St. Peter....

Make it happen GOBC!!!!!

So he'd take a pay cut? If he is over matched as the Twins President then I would expect the same thing as a AD.

8 minutes ago, John W. said:

Make it happen GOBC!!!!!

Considering you short (and "interesting") posting history, I'm not sure where to begin with how ridiculous most of this is. Faison has a 5 year contract, so that would have to be bought out or he would have to retire. Not ruling either out but I think he's safe for right now. Not exactly sure how he's overmatched in his present position as he isn't the one making the on the field or roster decisions, he actually probably deserves some credit that people are still showing up at Target Field despite the on the field product. Not only would he be taking a health pay cut, he also has zero background in college athletics and as much as I like him, he actually probably would be in over his head running an athletic department. 

12 minutes ago, John W. said:

Dave St. Peter for AD.....I attended the USD football game and Faison's on field demeanor during various presentations gave the impression of an unhappy warrior, flat facial expression, slow gate, slumped shoulders and dressing like chris christie....Perhaps realizing he's a short timer....I look for President Kennedy to bring in one of his Twin City 'buds' and a UND alum Dave St. Peter to run the athletic department.  St. Peter, a ND native, would be well suited for UND, he being overmatched in his present position of Twins President, may also be seeking a change of scenery.  Good fit for both UND and St. Peter....

Make it happen GOBC!!!!!

JDub 27...it's about leadership...Kennedy has never been a president of a university before.....St. Peter, if a leader, would be fine....being an AD at this level is not 'rocket science'...it's about leadership, communication skills, etc....Without looking could you name a majority of AD's in the Big Sky? Nielson, SD coach became AD at Duluth......Roger Thomas, became AD at U.of Mary...without previous AD experience...I think St. Peter would do just fine...It's also about fund raising...and he would do well there...Well known in the state...and prolly could tap into some Twin City alums....

3 minutes ago, John W. said:

JDub 27...it's about leadership...Kennedy has never been a president of a university before.....St. Peter, if a leader, would be fine....being an AD at this level is not 'rocket science'...it's about leadership, communication skills, etc....Without looking could you name a majority of AD's in the Big Sky? Nielson, SD coach became AD at Duluth......Roger Thomas, became AD at U.of Mary...without previous AD experience...I think St. Peter would do just fine...It's also about fund raising...and he would do well there...Well known in the state...and prolly could tap into some Twin City alums....

Roger was never an AD before going to Mary?  Thought he was somewhere.....

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Roger was never an AD before going to Mary?  Thought he was somewhere.....

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Hmmmmm? Wonder where?

I feel like he was heavily involved in some really important decisions there that ended up holding the university back 5 years.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, John W. said:

I actually can name quite a few AD's of the Big Sky but I'm not sure exactly why that matters?

Your examples are not only dated, but are also not D1 institutions.

Kennedy has experience in higher ed and understands business and with budget issues, is something that UND probably needed. Even then, he was still knocked for his lack of experience in some areas. St. Peter has zero experience in college athletics and all the "fun" regulations and rules that go along with it. Could he learn? Sure, but I'm not so sure of his supporting staff while he'd be doing it. Regardless, it's a non-starter, he isn't leaving his current position, especially for a hefty pay cut. I don't disagree that he would be incredibly successful at parts of the job but would be completely out of his element on others. If it is about fundraising, St. Peter would be better suited for a role in the Champions Club or Alumni Association.

On 9/16/2016 at 8:38 AM, UNDvince97-01 said:

So way back when, you were saying womens athletic expenses were being hidden on the mens athletic expense side to avoid being hyper-compliant for Title IX?

Can you show me where that was?  I don't seem to remember that, but I certainly could have missed it. 

Or do you have your information mixed up again?

When all of the expense of renting the Ralph was laid off on Men's Hockey with Women's VB, Women's BB and Women's Hockey assessed nothing for rent for starters.

4 hours ago, Irish said:

When all of the expense of renting the Ralph was laid off on Men's Hockey with Women's VB, Women's BB and Women's Hockey assessed nothing for rent for starters.

Why is UND playing 2.4 million for rent?  Is that for operational costs of running the REA?

UND President Kennedy has the potential to be a Clifford.  So far I'm judging him as a very smart individual with a desire to do the right thing,

Kennedy has this committee in place to get information, then he makes a decision.  Well, maybe the kind of information he wants, can come forward more easily and accurately through this committee than if he went around and tried to get it himself.  Also, a way to get some of this information out to public and let everyone chew on this before a decision is made, soften the blow so to say. So, chew quickly because this is getting done now and only once.  He realizes this has to be done expertly and in a way not to hurt support to the U or in at least a minimal way. This is especially a challenge at this U because of the long process of the nickname change.

Important to find correct cost of each sport.  Some individual athletic budgets maybe should have expenditures in them that they don't or vise versa, and that could be between the individual sports or even with the U in general. Just some examples; Utilities, Police for traffic at games, salaries, summer camps, snow removal, grounds care, building maintenance, advertising, and etc.

What funds does and can each sport bring to the table, advertising, maybe also weighing in donations and potential donations? Are we in the right conferences? Shape and need of facilities? And so on, like most of which has been mentioned in this thread.

This next point is the reason I'm commenting on this thread. The U is unique in that it has the Ralph Engelstad, Inc. on it's soil. Built on campus with a Agreement that the improvements on the land are to be given to UND/state of ND after 30 years.  Till then they (the  Ralph) run and own the building, house various sporting teams, hold various events, sell tickets and for other U sports too, have their own employees, and etc. There are close to 20 home games a year with something just under 12K attendance for men's hockey, plus concessions. For my tickets there is a base ticket price plus donation, so funds may be directed in different directions? Understanding there is a student section, is that way over a half $million taken in per game?  Compare that to five home football games. 

How does this committee ask and get the numbers and information it needs?

Is there in that Agreement that the Ralph is to host the UND men's hockey and women's to be hockey teams for 30 years????? That be a game changer!

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2016 at 7:31 PM, John W. said:

Make it happen GOBC!!!!!

St. Peter runs the business side of the Twins and has no association with who they will draft,trade,sign, etc.... He has been doing a great job for the Twins in the aspect of bringing in money and marketing them to everyone outside the MPLS area. How and who is overmatching him at the current moment?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

St. Peter runs the business side of the Twins ... He has been doing a great job for the Twins in the aspect of bringing in money and marketing them ... 

You have to give Dave credit for selling when his only product is a 100-loss well-polished turd. 

• Upvote 4

St.Peter's title, last I checked, was President-Minnesota Twins..not marketing director, not 'bean counter', etc. but President....If you hold Shafer, Clifford, Kennedy, Obama, Bush responsible because of that title......for what happens within their organization...then St. Peter should be held accountable for all things MN Twins...or be given another title....I stand by 'overmatched' by results of the product....Not everyone who is from ND or a UND grad is the 'ultimate "whatever"'....I still think he'd be a terrific AD.....Water seeks it's own level...and so do folks in the world of work.....

Go Fighting Hawks....beat the Bobcats...and congrats to VB team....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, John W. said:

St.Peter's title, last I checked, was President-Minnesota Twins..not marketing director, not 'bean counter', etc. but President....If you hold Shafer, Clifford, Kennedy, Obama, Bush responsible because of that title......for what happens within their organization...then St. Peter should be held accountable for all things MN Twins...or be given another title....I stand by 'overmatched' by results of the product....Not everyone who is from ND or a UND grad is the 'ultimate "whatever"'....I still think he'd be a terrific AD.....Water seeks it's own level...and so do folks in the world of work.....

Terry Ryan (and even the new GM) do not report to St. Peter. They don't and won't because as I have stated in the past, he has no direct hand in what they do. He isn't overmatched because he wasn't the one to put the team together, Terry Ryan and Rob Antony are the ones. A lot of MLB teams have positions that are for specific reasons, the Twins are no different. The title "President" is exactly what it is, a title.

13 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Terry Ryan (and even the new GM) do not report to St. Peter. They don't and won't because as I have stated in the past, he has no direct hand in what they do. He isn't overmatched because he wasn't the one to put the team together, Terry Ryan and Rob Antony are the ones. A lot of MLB teams have positions that are for specific reasons, the Twins are no different. The title "President" is exactly what it is, a title.

Mgmt 101  follow the line of authority/responsibilty

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Anyone familiar with the Twins front office knows St. Peter has never had any influence over roster construction, scouting, or really anything to do with baseball operations. He’s a marketing, business, and communications guy, and always has been. 

3 hours ago, John W. said:

There is a reason that Dave St. Peter is listed under the Administration and not Baseball Operations on the Twins website. His whole career has been on the operations side (Pro Shop Manager, Corporate Communications and Business Affairs). He is not responsible for the baseball side of the organization and if it was, with his background I'm not sure how it would make any sense that he would be. I'm sorry if his title is too confusing for you to comprehend but blaming him for that seems odd. If he was responsible for the baseball side, he'd be the General Manager, no different than most other franchises. That is the person who is in charge of the baseball side of organizations.