SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

I can actually foresee that somewhere down the line, when there isn't such a discrepancy in talent in the lower ranks of hockey.  I think the concern is that those that aren't that strong on their skates at the lower levels would be set up for going into the boards wrong and risk permanent injury.  But we have seen many women participating fully in non traditional women's sports, so one day, just like women's basketball it may evolve more like the men's game.  I am just curious why lower teams without as deep of pockets like St. Cloud, Bemidji, and Mankato State haven't cut women's hockey.  Maybe they are waiting to see how the women's sport evolves. 

Do they spend $1.5 million per year on it, not including any costs that can be shared with the men's teams?

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

I can actually foresee that somewhere down the line, when there isn't such a discrepancy in talent in the lower ranks of hockey.  I think the concern is that those that aren't that strong on their skates at the lower levels would be set up for going into the boards wrong and risk permanent injury.  But we have seen many women participating fully in non traditional women's sports, so one day, just like women's basketball it may evolve more like the men's game.  I am just curious why lower teams without as deep of pockets like St. Cloud, Bemidji, and Mankato State haven't cut women's hockey.  Maybe they are waiting to see how the women's sport evolves. 

You know how people get strong on their skates? By getting hit and not going down. No checking ever holds back the development of the sport because they can get away with not being strong on their skates.

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Did you not see my point, "starting out"?  I was one of the many people that caught part of the women's game before the men's game, and at times it wasn't pretty.  I was also one of the ones who did a complete 180 and enjoyed watching the women more.  The point was that it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't given a chance to evolve. 

Like I said previously, because they are just "starting out", that means UND is supposed to keep sinking 1.5 million into it every year for funsies?  While getting back around $30,000.  

It just makes no sense at all when looking at what they give back to UND.  It's non-existent in the Champions Club.                                                                                            

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

You know how people get strong on their skates? By getting hit and not going down. No checking ever holds back the development of the sport because they can get away with not being strong on their skates.

That's different as nearly every high school in the state had a women's basketball program or was going to soon start one at that time.  Women's hockey is not getting any traction at the high school level.   Participation rates are incredibly poor in the states of ND and MN.  It won't develop for the same reason that men's hockey hasn't expanded nationally.  It's a niche sport that due to high costs at the youth level has significant economic barriers to participation.  Having a highly expensive program in Grand Forks, ND filled with players from Europe isn't sustainable under any scenario.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just for the record, per USA Today Scott Nagy at South Dakota St receives a salary of $212,000 plus $25,000 of "other pay" plus potential bonuses of $17,000.  In 2014, USD was at $185,000 and NDSU was at $190,000.  Per its 2015 NCAA report, UND spent 137,000 on Brian Jones, including benefits, bonuses (if any), and the social security and other taxes that go along with employing anyone.  That would put his salary around $100,000.

Actually I can make your case better with updated SDSU salaries. Nagy left for a job at Wright State ($500,000 per year). We hired TJ Otzelberger from Iowa State for $300,000 per year before bonuses. Jones is grossly underpaid for the area. Our Women's coach Aaron Johnston earns, in salary only $215,000 per year. 

1 minute ago, jacksfan29 said:

Actually I can make your case better with updated SDSU salaries. Nagy left for a job at Wright State ($500,000 per year). We hired TJ Otzelberger from Iowa State for $300,000 per year before bonuses. Jones is grossly underpaid for the area. Our Women's coach Aaron Johnston earns, in salary only $215,000 per year. 

Ah, forgot about that.

20 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Anyone know why we have $0 in revenue from hockey camps?  Does REA and the hockey academy just keep it all?

Why does it cost UND over $2 million a year to rent a building that was built for them?

With revenues probably close to or past 3/4 of a million per mens hockey game.

• Upvote 2

when REA was first built I envisioned millions in revenue pouring out of that building into the fb, bball, and vball programs but now I'm starting to wonder if the operations/upkeep of REA is actually taking money away from the rest of the ADepartment...how can we so behind some of our "peers" in salary in fb and basketball....

• Upvote 2

Looking at the make-up of the committee, here's what I found for sports affiliations of members:

Track & Field - Alycia Cummings - Arts & Sciences (Stanford); Dick Clay - Coach; Jessica Sobolik - Med School; Ian Collins - Student Rep

Swimming and Diving - Susan Jeno - Med School (Michigan); Daniella Irle - AD (Tulane/Fresno St); Janna Schill - Med School; McKenzie Jeske - Student Rep

Football - Lowell Schweigert - Alumni Rep; Eric Murphy - Med School - 1 yr Football and 2 yrs Track (Hastings College)

Golf - Tanis Walch - Education (Omaha)

Unsure - Kim Kenville - Aerospace; Mark Askelson - Aerospace; Cherie Graves - Med School; Gary Schindler - Med School; Thomasine Heitkamp  - Nursing/Social Work; Nicolas Hanson - Student Rep (College of Business); Brian Faison - AD

If Faison and Kennedy plan to axe swimming and diving, I don't expect them to get the supporting recommendation for that from this committee.

17 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Kennedy needs to show he has a pair, something Kelley never did at any point, and get rid of BF. 

Unfortunately the great Bob Kelley signed Faison to an extension through 2020-21 before he resigned.  So we're likely saddled with him for 5 more years or facing potentially a seven figure buyout.

in defense of Faison did he accept the BSC membership knowing that we couldn't afford all the travel and whatnot but looking at the alternatives of NOTHING else out there except indy suicide? I would have made the same choice and dealt with the repercussions later...

18 hours ago, Csonked Out said:

Quite frankly, we shouldn't have done FCOA right away. You don't commit that type of money just because your neighbors did. 

This I agree with.  We don't need COA since no one else in the Sky is paying it.    We aren't beating NDSU on recruits anyway, so that argument doesn't apply.  Worse yet is the deficit isn't even caused by COA, we just started paying that, so we need to trim another 1.2 million next year.   COA wasn't even discussed, we just jumped in blindly.

• Downvote 4

This problem can be solved objectively by people with the right information.

I just sent Kennedy a very polite email asking him to, based on the IAC's exhibited bufoonery, put together a real and substantial group of willing and motivated people truly interested in the betterment of University of North Dakota Athletics to objectively review the salient data and make solid recommendations. 

The time for "do we need a conference" nonsensical dialogue is not now. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Unfortunately the great Bob Kelley signed Faison to an extension through 2020-21 before he resigned.  So we're likely saddled with him for 5 more years or facing potentially a seven figure buyout.

Somehow I think we would still come out ahead, I'm not even kidding.