SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

• 1 month later...

Hello here l am. It doesn't matter were the kid plays. He has the tools and skill set to be a star. He just needs that chance to play. (It just wasn't here) He has a new place to play be happy for the kid. I think he is humble. To play behind the kids he had to play behind the whole time he was here shows character and team guy. He stayed longer than l thought he would..l am happy he found himself a place and he will be playing on Sunday.. Coaches play who they want to play it's there team. Talent doesn't always just facts. Just wish the kid well. Because he will do well. Sunday just be ready.

• Upvote 1

I have seen the comments some of you make when it's concerning this kid. Saying he can't catch But l never seen him drop a ball in a game. With the limited touches he has had he made the most of his few opportunities. He was second on the team in total yards 756. Second team selection.He is not a kid who is in trouble he has good grades. He does positive work in the community. This kid was chosen to represent his University at the Summit in Austin Texas. This kid was one of the SASS Award winners. Again Coaches play who they want to play it's there team..

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RobThomas said:

I have seen the comments some of you make when it's concerning this kid. Saying he can't catch But l never seen him drop a ball in a game. With the limited touches he has had he made the most of his few opportunities. He was second on the team in total yards 756. Second team selection.He is not a kid who is in trouble he has good grades. He does positive work in the community. This kid was chosen to represent his University at the Summit in Austin Texas. This kid was one of the SASS Award winners. Again Coaches play who they want to play it's there team..

He’s dropped a ball in a game. I’ve seen it. That’s the reason you never saw him go deep, or even medium in routes. 

I don't think most people are knocking the kid, but most can be objective about his talent, because we all wanted him to do well.  Many, including myself wanted him to get more touches, but it's not as if every time he touched the ball you expected something great to happen, as with Santiago.  Just to be straight, are you saying he will be playing in the NFL?

Not sure why anyone wants to debate this. The young man played for us and did his best. Great kid. He showed promise and was hopefully going to continue to improve. Now he will play elsewhere. I hope he does well. None of us knows how well he will do. The coaches try to play the players they think give them the best chance to win. They don’t always get it right. There is no reason to doubt what someone can accomplish. So what if someone thinks he can get to the NFL. More power to him and hose who believe in him. The best response is good luck, I hope he is successful. To doubt or criticize does nothing for our program. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Not sure why anyone wants to debate this. The young man played for us and did his best. Great kid. He showed promise and was hopefully going to continue to improve. Now he will play elsewhere. I hope he does well. None of us knows how well he will do. The coaches try to play the players they think give them the best chance to win. They don’t always get it right. There is no reason to doubt what someone can accomplish. So what if someone thinks he can get to the NFL. More power to him and hose who believe in him. The best response is good luck, I hope he is successful. To doubt or criticize does nothing for our program. 

Who is debating?  His relative/friend keeps coming back to defend McKinneys time on campus.  He is gone, moved on...its over

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

I don't think most people were criticizing, only stating that our coaches don't have this wish to keep talented players off the field and generally can evaluate talent and capabilities that fit their scheme. 

I don't have anything to gain in this situation the young man has moved on. The reason l responded to the post was because l was called out like l was going to take back my thoughts of this kid No! Absolutely not! I am a fan of UND football and l want to see the program successful with out a doubt. I know what l have read in the past. Danny has said it before McKinney wasn't his guy he wanted to use the guys he recruited and he did exactly that. The coach plays who they want to play. Talent doesn't always play. I am also fan of McKinney l have taken the time to find out about his journey and how he arrived at UND. This kid has faced some adversity and has overcome a difficult situation. What's going now is minor.This kid will be sucessful. I will say it again he will play on the next level again keep on mocking and laughing. 

14 minutes ago, RobThomas said:

Danny has said it before McKinney wasn't his guy he wanted to use the guys he recruited and he did exactly that. 

I would disagree very much with this statement and not just from the perspective that Danny was on the staff when McKinney was recruited.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RobThomas said:

I don't have anything to gain in this situation the young man has moved on. The reason l responded to the post was because l was called out like l was going to take back my thoughts of this kid No! Absolutely not! I am a fan of UND football and l want to see the program successful with out a doubt. I know what l have read in the past. Danny has said it before McKinney wasn't his guy he wanted to use the guys he recruited and he did exactly that. The coach plays who they want to play. Talent doesn't always play. I am also fan of McKinney l have taken the time to find out about his journey and how he arrived at UND. This kid has faced some adversity and has overcome a difficult situation. What's going now is minor.This kid will be sucessful. I will say it again he will play on the next level again keep on mocking and laughing. 

If he could actually catch a pass downfield consistently he would have started from day 1. His speed is what we need.

1 hour ago, RobThomas said:

Danny has said it before McKinney wasn't his guy he wanted to use the guys he recruited and he did exactly that. 

Did Danny say this in one of your dreams?  I can't imagine Danny saying this.  I do think Danny should have used him on the sweep though, that one was baffling to me why he didn't use him on the sweep more last year.  Other than that I think Danny did a great job as offensive coordinator for his first year especially given that our OL was subpar because they were all under weight and couldn't get a push. 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:59 PM, RobThomas said:

I don't think anyone wants to see a kid recruited to UND fail or not do well, we want players recruited here to succeed. With that said, I can't really shed a tear he's now playing in D2 or is off the team because a certain someone on this board kept trying to build him up as the greatest player to ever set foot on the field for UND. Yes, he was fast. Yes, he had some good moves. But the fact is he got moved and utilized as a running back because he couldn't catch, simple as that. Coaches didn't play him as a receiver because they didn't think he would succeed in the offense as a receiver. There was no vendetta. Danny was around the entire time McKinney was being recruited and practicing, why would he not want the guy to succeed?

If he somehow makes it into the NFL, I'll eat my words but I really, really don't see it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...