SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If the NCHC brass is even remotely considering adding Bemidji and Mankato, I hope someone reminds them they're the NATIONAL Collegiate Hockey Conference, not the Regional Collegiate Hockey Conference.  It should not be watered down with a majority membership of mediocre D2 schools.

No worries, they aren't.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If the NCHC brass is even remotely considering adding Bemidji and Mankato, I hope someone reminds them they're the NATIONAL Collegiate Hockey Conference, not the Regional Collegiate Hockey Conference.  It should not be watered down with a majority membership of mediocre D2 schools.

Watered down? Half the conference already plays in D2!

30 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I believe, in the not too distant future, we are going to see BSU and Mankato in the NCHC and WMU and Miami in a conference with some of their old CCHA foes.  It's going to happen, and I don't think it will necessarily be bad for anyone. 

I don't think this move will be driven by the NCHC.  I just think WMU and Miami are going to look to "move" back to the Michigan and Ohio schools, leaving us with 6 teams.  BSU and Mankato are logical geographical fits, and probably don't want to be stuck as the two western outliers (besides Alaska) in a conference made up of Michigan and Ohio teams.

9 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

- Adding Notre Dame was a good move by the BTHC and was a good move by ND to accept.  They will fit in better in the BTHC than they did in HE.

- ASU will accept the 8th slot but will only be a temporary place holder while hockey programs get ramped up out west and a western hockey conference can be established.

- A couple of Big Ten schools will add hockey.  Nebraska has the facilities and will start up before long.  Iowa will add men's and women's hockey once the arena in Coralville is built.  Why women's hockey too?  Because Iowa is having Title 9 issues with placing about 100 females on the rowing team.  Iowa needs to add more women's sports, women's hockey fits that need and adding men's hockey with it means it won't be a total sinkhole.  Illinois has too many in-state budget issues to start something like hockey.  Look at Rutgers to be the third Big Ten school to add hockey.  The new TV contracts the BIG schools are signing are going to be huge and the resources are available, plus BTN needs programming.

- These moves might not make the BTHC traditional fan bases happy in the near term but they will solidify hockey in the Big Ten forever.  With the conferences money and resources these programs will not be dogs for long.  Money and power, you can't keep that combo down very long.  Once they start winning again the fan bases will be back in full force.

- North Dakota will be fine.  You'll continue to sit atop your perch in the NCHC and the Nation. 

- The growth of hockey at these major schools is good for the sport.

Time for the Yotes to start up a program?

Edit- I would love to see USD play D1 Hockey.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

Time for the Yotes to start up a program?

LOL, I wish.  We don't have the resources for such a thing.  I think we need to focus on the sports we have now before attempting a venture like adding another sport.

Just now, Yote 53 said:

LOL, I wish.  We don't have the resources for such a thing.  I think we need to focus on the sports we have now before attempting a venture like adding another sport.

That's a fair point. Really only takes one solid donor to get the ball rolling though.

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

B1G cares about TV markets to force cable providers to carry their network. The ratings/attendance are an afterthought and UND, while having a bigger following than any other option, does not move the needle anywhere near enough to overcome the other things they have going against them.

ASU. Book it. No way the B1G didn't have someone lined up before Notre Dame was accepted, they aren't going to an odd number, and it wasn't an NCHC team, that I can guarantee with almost certainty. Wouldn't be surprised if they put in an "out"  clause of some sort that allow them to severe ties with ASU if a B1G school adds hockey in the future.

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong but this is the scenario I see happening based on reliable things I've heard.

Since we are speculating. I am going to go on a limb and say that the Big 10 will add UConn for hockey and an announcement that Notre Dame and UConn will be joining the Big 10 in all sports.

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Since we are speculating. I am going to go on a limb and say that the Big 10 will add UConn for hockey and an announcement that Notre Dame and UConn will be joining the Big 10 in all sports.

Possible but I don't think that UConn has the academic chops to get into the B1G as a full member. Notre Dame is obviously the biggest question. I don't see them joining a football conference until they feel like they were slighted out of the College Football Playoffs and their hand is almost forced.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Possible but I don't think that UConn has the academic chops to get into the B1G as a full member. Notre Dame is obviously the biggest question. I don't see them joining a football conference until they feel like they were slighted out of the College Football Playoffs and their hand is almost forced.

I don't think Notre Dame WBB wants to share a conference home with UConn WBB.

47 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I believe, in the not too distant future, we are going to see BSU and Mankato in the NCHC and WMU and Miami in a conference with some of their old CCHA foes.  It's going to happen, and I don't think it will necessarily be bad for anyone. 

I don't think this move will be driven by the NCHC.  I just think WMU and Miami are going to look to "move" back to the Michigan and Ohio schools, leaving us with 6 teams.  BSU and Mankato are logical geographical fits, and probably don't want to be stuck as the two western outliers (besides Alaska) in a conference made up of Michigan and Ohio teams.

I'd have no problem with this and the conference would still be just as strong as it is now. I don't care whether the rest of their sports are D1 or D2 like some others do I just care about what kind of hockey program they have and right now of the 4 teams I'd rank them Mankato, Miami, Bemidji, and Western Michigan.  

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I believe they will in due time...be joining the ACC.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think Notre Dame WBB wants to share a conference home with UConn WBB.

That would be the first, and likely only time, EVER, that someone let Women's basketball determine conference affiliation.

50 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I agree.....but it would keep the Big 12 out of that television market on the East Coast because the Big 12 will take UConn if they don't..

And Notre Dame has been marginalized by the new NCAA playoff football format so remaining independent does nothing for them anymore.

18 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

I think there is going to be another round of shakeups coming and this year.  Notre Dame is the first domino to fall.  I see Bemidji and or Mankato moving to the NCHC and ASU up for grabs between the 2.  WMU and Miami going to the WCHA.  Get ready for a turbulent few weeks here.  Just pray that UND doesn't make the mistake of going to the PIG10.

18 hours ago, Cratter said:

Adding Bemidji and Mankato would be admitting the NCHC failed.

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Taking Bemidji and Mankato and losing WMU and Miami would be a big step back for the NCHC (it already took one step back when it accepted St Cloud). If any changes are to be made in the NCHC, it should be the addition of Bowling Green and either ASU or Air Force. More D1 members, not D2.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

IF/WHEN ASU goes to the B10, it will be for a short period of time.

Notre Dame going to the B10 only makes sense, there is no reason for them to even be in HE. 

The folks over at the B10 know what they need to do to make their conference more attractive and that is why they are pro-actively adding teams. I would agree with you that the B10 is imploding if they stayed at 6 teams but that's not the case. In fact with these recent moves, I believe they are aligning themselves to be one of the better conferences. North Dakota will not join the B10, they would add more regional teams before bolting to a new conference. With the recent success at Bemidji St. and Mankato St. I wouldnt be surprised if the people at the NCHC are keeping an eye on them to see how long they can keep it up.

Just my 2 cents.

I have to completely agree with Cratter and UNDBIZ.  Hindsight is 20/20, but why didn't the WCHA just add Miami and WMU to replace Minnesota and Wisconsin.  The addition of Bemidji and Mankato to the NCHC would effectively put UND back into the WCHA except without the conference's prestigious 50+ year history, the McNaughton Cup, etc.  I cringed when St. Cloud was added, not because they cannot compete in college hockey, but because it confirmed that the idea behind the "NATIONAL" had already been curbed back from its original intention. 

And since when has Bemidji had recent success?  (Please don't reply with the "but 10 years ago when Bemidji was in College Hockey America" type of arguments.  I don't care that they beat up on Wayne State and Findley University to get into the NCAAs).  Bemidji's 17-16-6 record this season is the first time they finished over .500 since moving to the WCHA six years ago.  Maybe they'll continue their success and be two games above .500 next season!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #MACtion said:

Where is this rumor of Miami as a candidate #8 for the BTHC??   Is there even as much as a post on USCHO forums or a tweet or something or is this all made up??

There was a post on GPL (GopherPuckLive).

There was also a rumor with UMD or UNO due to their affiliations with UM and UN.  I don't see those two schools happening.  My money is on ASU as the best bet followed by UCONN or possibly Miami, OH.