SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Taking Bemidji and Mankato and losing WMU and Miami would be a big step back for the NCHC (it already took one step back when it accepted St Cloud). If any changes are to be made in the NCHC, it should be the addition of Bowling Green and either ASU or Air Force. More D1 members, not D2.

I like the idea of Air Force. I'm sure the other CO schools wouldn't mind either.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I like the idea of Air Force. I'm sure the other CO schools wouldn't mind either.

I'd imagine additional interaction between UND and Air Force could only be good for us from a research and aviation program standpoint as well. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The B1G won't stay at seven.  Maybe there is something to the Miami rumors.

Ariz St probably wants to be with UNLV, which has less chance than UND to be invited to the B1G.

Notre Dame fans insisted there was no way that they would go to the B1G.  Miami and UCONN would be the most likely if Ariz St turns down the B1G.

What Miami rumors!??

• Upvote 4

I see the GPL guys are claiming its all about academics.  While usually true, the last thing the Big Ten should be worried about is the academic profile of an "affiliate" member.  

They should worry more about improving that dogsh%t hockey conference.  Arizona State makes it worse.

• Upvote 2

If UND can get a cut of that Big Ten Network money it should take Faison about 2 seconds to say yes to an offer. 

Would miss the NCHC schools but would enjoy the schools in the Big Ten and we can still schedule SCSU and Duluth in non conference. 

If this deal could also get a few BBall and FB games on the Big ten network or against Big ten schools it becomes an even bigger no brainer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

If UND can get a cut of that Big Ten Network money it should take Faison about 2 seconds to say yes to an offer. 

Would miss the NCHC schools but would enjoy the schools in the Big Ten and we can still schedule SCSU and Duluth in non conference. 

If this deal could also get a few BBall and FB games on the Big ten network or against Big ten schools it becomes an even bigger no brainer.

We haven't been able to leverage the NCHC into getting bball games against Denver, WMU, or Miami. I wouldn't expect that to change with the B1G. As for the rest, yes, being in a conference with Minnesota and Wisconsin is good for UND. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We haven't been able to leverage the NCHC into getting bball games against Denver, WMU, or Miami. I wouldn't expect that to change with the B1G. As for the rest, yes, being in a conference with Minnesota and Wisconsin is good for UND. 

If UND can get football games against the B1G and the B1G supported the the Big Sky going FBS, that would be huge for the school.

With Notre Dame going to B1G hockey, I'm beginning to believe that the B12 wants UND hockey and fans.  Miami is a strong candidate academically, but UND takes it to the ice.

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

This is a pipe dream and I am not exactly sure why people think it would actually happen. Big 10 would never offer a school from North Dakota. We just don't have the population or market. 

B1G hockey doesn't get ratings unless there are fans in the stands.  UND would deliver in that department.  U MINN needs us.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If UND can get football games against the B1G and the B1G supported the the Big Sky going FBS, that would be huge for the school.

With Notre Dame going to B1G hockey, I'm beginning to believe that the B12 wants UND hockey and fans.  Miami is a strong candidate academically, but UND takes it to the ice.

Oh, so no rumor, just more non-credible posts madeup about Big Sky FBS and now Miami Big10.  Mmm-kay.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I'm not sure where all this is going but all the big schools to one conference doesn't bode well (long term) for recruiting in our area.

When it comes to hockey, UND can offer more to recruits than the large schools.  Any other sport would be concerning but for hockey UND has tradition, facilities, name/brand, fan base and FCOA.  

Notre Dame to the big 10 may actually be good for UND as it may open up some non conference games.   Getting big name schools on the schedule and winning doesn't hurt either. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

You would think the front runner is ASU for the 8th spot in the Big 10.

But as I have learned in any college realignment these past few years.  Expect the unexpected

If it had a permanent arena set, I'd agree, but it wont by a 2017.

A fan base needs some drivable rivals, as Notre Dame and the B1G have shown. If UNLV gets off the ground, ASU would give them and other PAC schools up and forfeit a traveling fan base.  That wouldn't make business sense  but would lead to a quick buck from the B1G network.

43 minutes ago, JermDubs said:

Think the little 7 has the smarts to change up the playoff format if they become the big 8?

No, they'll do something like they do in basketball. Have all teams make it to the X or Joe and attendance will be the same.

3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Didn't Und want the nchc with larger school budgets so the larger budget schools would have more votes on internal league issues then smaller budget

that's what I heard they were scared about

You should know, you are apart of the gboc 

• Upvote 1