SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

B1G hockey doesn't get ratings unless there are fans in the stands.  UND would deliver in that department.  U MINN needs us.

B1G cares about TV markets to force cable providers to carry their network. The ratings/attendance are an afterthought and UND, while having a bigger following than any other option, does not move the needle anywhere near enough to overcome the other things they have going against them.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So who exactly is going to be the 8th B1G hockey team?

ASU. Book it. No way the B1G didn't have someone lined up before Notre Dame was accepted, they aren't going to an odd number, and it wasn't an NCHC team, that I can guarantee with almost certainty. Wouldn't be surprised if they put in an "out"  clause of some sort that allow them to severe ties with ASU if a B1G school adds hockey in the future.

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong but this is the scenario I see happening based on reliable things I've heard.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

B1G cares about TV markets to force cable providers to carry their network. The ratings/attendance are an afterthought and UND, while having a bigger following than any other option, does not move the needle anywhere near enough to overcome the other things they have going against them.

ASU. Book it. No way the B1G didn't have someone lined up before Notre Dame was accepted, they aren't going to an odd number, and it wasn't an NCHC team, that I can guarantee with almost certainty. Wouldn't be surprised if they put in an "out"  clause of some sort that allow them to severe ties with ASU if a B1G school adds hockey in the future.

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong but this is the scenario I see happening based on reliable things I've heard.

Yeah, I understand that Delaney wants a piece of the Phoenix market, which has a larger number of Big Ten grads than any city outside of Chicago.  But B1G hockey doesnt draw aquatic for ratings and the Arizona public would tolerate paying for the B1G network.

But why would Arizona St agree to if they want to build a program and fanbase?  Their games won't be filled with ASU fans, but rather with Gophers, Badgers, Irish and Wolverine fans.  Granted the B1G will pay bills, but this looks like another Ohio State program playing in a massively oversized arena, which the B1G can't afford competitively.  Wait til the Big adds Iowa and Nebraska.  That league would lose a conference series against the AHA.

Notre Dame switching leagues and the Gophers fans malaise prove that hockey is much based on more regional rivals than national ones.  The rules that TV used for basketball and football don't apply here, as the B1G has already proven.

6 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm curious how Notre Dame tv rights will be worked out....

Supposedly Notre Dame can keep their TV contract. So there will be a lot of B1G hockey on TV starting in 2 years...

6 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Why the he// are they announcing this before the seasons over? Notre Dame is still in the tournament for cripessake.

They had to announce before April 1st or their buyout of HE increased from $250k to $350k.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The B1G won't stay at seven.  Maybe there is something to the Miami rumors.

Ariz St probably wants to be with UNLV, which has less chance than UND to be invited to the B1G.

Notre Dame fans insisted there was no way that they would go to the B1G.  Miami and UCONN would be the most likely if Ariz St turns down the B1G.

I would be shocked if it's Miami. ASU is a MUCH bigger, well known school with better academics than Miami. I've thought ASU was going B1G for a long time and I'd be shocked if it changes now. I'm ecstatic the B1G got Notre Dame because UCONN would've pissed off a lot of people. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Yeah, I understand that Delaney wants a piece of the Phoenix market, which has a larger number of Big Ten grads than any city outside of Chicago.  But B1G hockey doesnt draw aquatic for ratings and the Arizona public would tolerate paying for the B1G network.

But why would Arizona St agree to if they want to build a program and fanbase?  Their games won't be filled with ASU fans, but rather with Gophers, Badgers, Irish and Wolverine fans.  Granted the B1G will pay bills, but this looks like another Ohio State program playing in a massively oversized arena, which the B1G can't afford competitively.  Wait til the Big adds Iowa and Nebraska.  That league would lose a conference series against the AHA.

Notre Dame switching leagues and the Gophers fans malaise prove that hockey is much based on more regional rivals than national ones.  The rules that TV used for basketball and football don't apply here, as the B1G has already proven.

Much like you see with Penn State, ASU will be much better off playing the B1G schools their students and alumni are more familiar with name-wise. 5 of the current B1G fan bases are miserable with the new conference, but Penn State is thriving because they weren't used to anything before. The B1G hockey games are the hardest to get tickets of any sport on the PSU campus. The big schools are a huge draw to their fans where college hockey never really existed and it's the schools they're used to competing against in other sports. When it comes to these big schools that have no history with college hockey they're better off with similar minded schools their fans can better associate with. 

It may not make the most sense to the college hockey fans that have been around forever, but a lot of stuff the B1G will continue to do won't because it's going to be run like a P5 conference and not a college hockey conference. There's nothing we can do now but accept it, because they're not going to change. The one positive I see with this is all of these big schools coming together could really help tip some other large schools to add college hockey. There are some hot rumors about UCLA and possibly USC moving back up to DI right now. They need some things to come together, but if they can come together they'll probably be the next western teams to add the sport. 

27 minutes ago, GFG said:

Much like you see with Penn State, ASU will be much better off playing the B1G schools their students and alumni are more familiar with name-wise. 5 of the current B1G fan bases are miserable with the new conference, but Penn State is thriving because they weren't used to anything before. The B1G hockey games are the hardest to get tickets of any sport on the PSU campus. The big schools are a huge draw to their fans where college hockey never really existed and it's the schools they're used to competing against in other sports. When it comes to these big schools that have no history with college hockey they're better off with similar minded schools their fans can better associate with. 

It may not make the most sense to the college hockey fans that have been around forever, but a lot of stuff the B1G will continue to do won't because it's going to be run like a P5 conference and not a college hockey conference. There's nothing we can do now but accept it, because they're not going to change. The one positive I see with this is all of these big schools coming together could really help tip some other large schools to add college hockey. There are some hot rumors about UCLA and possibly USC moving back up to DI right now. They need some things to come together, but if they can come together they'll probably be the next western teams to add the sport. 

Yeah, it's all coming together now.  ASU will go the Big Ten as expected.  UCLA or USC or UNLV won't join  B1G hockey though.  ASU will be a short timer in the B1G until other PAC teams get their acts together.  Notre Dame joined just for the western exposure.

Simon Fraser and Minot St to the WCHA.  Eastern WCHA schools won't have to travel to Alaska twice.  ASU was just playing with other leagues.  Minot St will get the second WCHA slot when ASU officially declines it.

10 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Yeah, it's all coming together now.  ASU will go the Big Ten as expected.  UCLA or USC or UNLV won't join  B1G hockey though.  ASU will be a short timer in the B1G until other PAC teams get their acts together.  Notre Dame joined just for the western exposure.

Simon Fraser and Minot St to the WCHA.  Eastern WCHA schools won't have to travel to Alaska twice.  ASU was just playing with other leagues.  Minot St will get the second WCHA slot when ASU officially declines it.

Minot is not getting a D1 hockey team.  

• Upvote 1

North Dakota to the big 10 to make Big 8

then

ASU replaces North Dakota in NCHC?

Not that I want this by any means it just popped in my head like a bad song.. 

-~~hey Mocherena%##%@@☆~~

...If it did happen I would make a condition that Minnesota has to get rid of the cancer that is Lucia...

Lets be realistic.  The BTHC is going to add Notre Dame and ASU and still be in the same dismal position they are in now.  The NCHC will not be adding or losing anyone.  HE will most likely try to poach Quinnipiac.  The world's not crumbling, the BTHC will still put a terrible product on the ice year in and year out with no one watching.  The NCHC will still be the best and most exciting conference to watch with fans packed to the rafters at every game (maybe not WM).  Just sit back and enjoy the view of the BTHC imploding, life is good at the top.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, IrishSiouxFan said:

Lets be realistic.  The BTHC is going to add Notre Dame and ASU and still be in the same dismal position they are in now.  The NCHC will not be adding or losing anyone.  HE will most likely try to poach Quinnipiac.  The world's not crumbling, the BTHC will still put a terrible product on the ice year in and year out with no one watching.  The NCHC will still be the best and most exciting conference to watch with fans packed to the rafters at every game (maybe not WM).  Just sit back and enjoy the view of the BTHC imploding, life is good at the top.

How is the B1G imploding? They just added one of the biggest names in college athletics.

Have you not seen the BTHC attendance figures and fan support lately? The fans are unhappy to the point of being mutinous. Notre Dame averages under 4,800 people per game and did very little in terms of raising the prestige of HE.  Notre Dame is a big name in college athletics but college hockey is another beast all to it's self.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, IrishSiouxFan said:

Have you not seen the BTHC attendance figures and fan support lately? The fans are unhappy to the point of being mutinous. Notre Dame averages under 4,800 people per game and did very little in terms of raising the prestige of HE.  Notre Dame is a big name in college athletics but college hockey is another beast all to it's self.

You're thinking very short term.  In the long run (if hockey continues to grow throughout the Midwest) I can see this conference being very good. Teams like Penn State and OSU have some nice recruits in the pipeline currently, so does Notre Dame.  MSU needs a new coach and ASU simply needs 5 years or so.  The Big10, INMHO, will probably be a very good conference in 10 years.  ND pretty much just solidified that.  Now I know why Jackson came out and agreed with the B10's proposal to reduce the age of incoming freshman.....because he knew they would going to join.  I think college hockey is going to go through a transformation over the next 10-15 years....hopefully our conference will keep afloat.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

B1G gets a legitimate, recognizable name to all fans, not just hockey ones, an upstart program to beat up on for a few years and it brings them to an even number to balance out the addition of Notre Dame, who they've been chasing on and off for years (in all sports).

ASU gets into a recognizable conference and home games against teams that their fans have heard of, even if it isn't permanent, which will ultimately help them grow their program. Doubt they will get much, if anything, from a revenue standpoint, but I'd guess that is an afterthought at this point.

This move won't necessarily help much on the B1G Network, nor that much in the stands for that matter, but both sides benefit from it more so than the addition of any other team and they weren't going to go forward with an odd number. I do agree that hockey doesn't operate the same as football or basketball

The ASU arena situation is the one thing that has made every conference hesitate, including the NCHC. Obviously the pros outweigh the cons.

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

You're thinking very short term.  In the long run (if hockey continues to grow throughout the Midwest) I can see this conference being very good. Teams like Penn State and OSU have some nice recruits in the pipeline currently, so does Notre Dame.  MSU needs a new coach and ASU simply needs 5 years or so.  The Big10, INMHO, will probably be a very good conference in 10 years.  ND pretty much just solidified that.  Now I know why Jackson came out and agreed with the B10's proposal to reduce the age of incoming freshman.....because he knew they would going to join.  I think college hockey is going to go through a transformation over the next 10-15 years....hopefully our conference will keep afloat.

I agree completely with this. 

ASU adds nothing, and is a temporary renter in the B1G.  It remains to be seen what happens with Notre Dame.  Maybe they just continue as an affiliate member, maybe they join the B1G in all sports.  I don't think it can be predicted.  Hard to believe the school follows the hockey program's lead with respect to conference moves.

But in the long term the B1G is going to be fine, and even thrive as a hockey conference.  OSU and PSU have seen really nice jumps in attendance since the switch.  Wisconsin won't suck forever.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, IrishSiouxFan said:

IF/WHEN ASU goes to the B10, it will be for a short period of time.

Notre Dame going to the B10 only makes sense, there is no reason for them to even be in HE. 

The folks over at the B10 know what they need to do to make their conference more attractive and that is why they are pro-actively adding teams. I would agree with you that the B10 is imploding if they stayed at 6 teams but that's not the case. In fact with these recent moves, I believe they are aligning themselves to be one of the better conferences. North Dakota will not join the B10, they would add more regional teams before bolting to a new conference. With the recent success at Bemidji St. and Mankato St. I wouldnt be surprised if the people at the NCHC are keeping an eye on them to see how long they can keep it up.

Just my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

In the short term this conference will be mediocre, long term I can actually see it succeeding. Just my 2 cents. We'll see what happens in the next 20 years.

I don't know much about the dynamics involved in this conference affiliation, but i agree with you.  What we're seeing is an aberration, and eventually things will change as fans get used to the teams in their conference, and forget about the "old rivalries".  

• Upvote 1

Why would minot move up before any other big school with a club hockey team. Minot does have a 5,000 seat arena with a new ice system, boards, glass and seating so that is a plus. The community may really behind them with the move but will it be enough to keep it going?

I thought MN state morehead was thinking of moving up back in the day?