SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm going to say the eastern* Big Ten got their team. Notre Dame fills barns in Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Happy Valley, and Columbus. 

What in the west is the best hope to fill Minnesota's and Wisconsin's not at capacity arenas? There's one answer and USCHO says it above. 

*Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St

This sounds familiar....oh yeah. :p

18 hours ago, Cratter said:

Add Notre Dame to make MIchigan (and MSU) happy...

Add UND to make Minnesota (and Wisconsin) happy?

12 hours ago, IrishSiouxFan said:

Lets be realistic.  The BTHC is going to add Notre Dame and ASU and still be in the same dismal position they are in now.  The NCHC will not be adding or losing anyone.  HE will most likely try to poach Quinnipiac.  The world's not crumbling, the BTHC will still put a terrible product on the ice year in and year out with no one watching.  The NCHC will still be the best and most exciting conference to watch with fans packed to the rafters at every game (maybe not WM).  Just sit back and enjoy the view of the BTHC imploding, life is good at the top.

One thing to consider about the NCHC not losing someone is Omaha...it's not out of the realm of possibility that the B1G takes them and sends ASU to the NCHC for the time being, until more western teams add. There were rumors floated awhile back the Lincoln wouldn't add hockey because Omaha dropped football and focused on hockey. So each school gets its own thing. 

The B1G might not want to take a chance on a new program that won't be around for long, so they could bring in Omaha, with their brand new arena, and brand it as part of the University of Nebraska system and basically consider them the University of Nebraska for B1G hockey.

11 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

You're thinking very short term.  In the long run (if hockey continues to grow throughout the Midwest) I can see this conference being very good. Teams like Penn State and OSU have some nice recruits in the pipeline currently, so does Notre Dame.  MSU needs a new coach and ASU simply needs 5 years or so.  The Big10, INMHO, will probably be a very good conference in 10 years.  ND pretty much just solidified that.  Now I know why Jackson came out and agreed with the B10's proposal to reduce the age of incoming freshman.....because he knew they would going to join.  I think college hockey is going to go through a transformation over the next 10-15 years....hopefully our conference will keep afloat.

I agree. The B1G will be fine with more teams. With 6 teams it was going to be nothing but pure disaster, but in a decade or so (maybe less) they should consistently be a top 3 conference.

4 hours ago, NewUNDAlum said:

I still don't think its a great chance UND gets a call to become an affiliate but the faucet now has a subtle drip.  Whether or not people like it, if the B1G offers we will take it.  We'd be stupid not to.  Plus UND offers more than Arizona State in the current situation.

The bolded statement is really dependent on what the Big Ten wants long term.  If they're looking for someone to join the conference only while other B1G schools add hockey, then ASU would be a way better choice than UND.

4 minutes ago, GFG said:

but in a decade or so (maybe less) they should consistently be a top 3 conference.

Wow. That's some low standards. 

The B1G is currently tied for third this year with one team in the NCAA's.

So summarize in a decade (or less) the B1G should be consistently better than the (new) WCHA vs about even as they are now....big improvements ahead. :lol:

You do bring up good points though. HE and the NCHC teams will be hard to consistently beat. 

I get what ya mean though....

The current system HE & NCHC + big drop off = all the other conferences.

The future system HE & NCHC & B1G, then a drop off. 

4 hours ago, dmksioux said:

I agree.  It would be great to go to the B1G, but I have to believe UND is pretty far down the list for who gets the 8th spot...

I wouldn't exactly say that...all of the Minnesota boosters, including Lou Nanne, have been pressing the B1G to add UND for a couple of years now.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You missed one or two:

Restoration of lost fan interest

Annual anticipation for ____ to come to town

Some won't admit it, but the energy in the UMn and UWi programs right now just isn't what it was. 

The B1G isn't stupid. Minnesota is their biggest fan base for hockey and they know it. Minnesota's fan base absolutely despises EVERYTHING about the B1G for forcing them to leave the teams they liked to play against in hockey. How do you make up for it and get them to change their feelings towards you? Add UND to please their fans and strengthen your conference with a school that's shown extreme commitment to the sport of college hockey. Allow UND some sort of research opportunities with the B1G schools and UND literally doesn't have any option other than yes at that point. 

I don't think it will happen, but it certainly makes a lot of sense. I'm still thinking ASU. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Wow. That's some low standards. 

The B1G is currently tied for third this year with one team in the NCAA's.

So summarize in a decade (or less) the B1G should be consistently better than the (new) WCHA vs about even as they are now....big improvements ahead. :lol:

You do bring up good points though. HE and the NCHC teams will be hard to consistently beat. 

I get what ya mean though....

The current system HE & NCHC + big drop off = all the other conferences.

The future system HE & NCHC & B1G, then a drop off. 

By top 3 I should basically say they should be even with HE and the NCHC

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

So they are trying to tear the NCHC apart....bastards!

UNO does nothing for me, personally. Never even cared for them when we were in the same conference for a couple of years. I liked the idea of making the east teams happy with Notre Dame and Minnesota-Wisconsin happy with North Dakota. I miss you a$$holes. :D

• Upvote 1

Just now, tnt said:

That would be absolutely baffling.  

Not that much. Like I said, UNO dropped football to be the 'hockey' school in the Nebraska system and let Lincoln keep all the hold on the football side of things. Not at all out of the question that Nebraska just says screw it and says to let Omaha be in their place. The B1G can just say it's because they're part of the University of Nebraska system.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GFG said:

Not that much. Like I said, UNO dropped football to be the 'hockey' school in the Nebraska system and let Lincoln keep all the hold on the football side of things. Not at all out of the question that Nebraska just says screw it and says to let Omaha be in their place. The B1G can just say it's because they're part of the University of Nebraska system.

Quite apparent that academics are not part of the discussion, then.

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Seems like everybody's name has been thrown out but UND's.....cause we don't play nice.

#waterbottles

#handshakes 

UND would be great for them hockey-wise. I just don't think they'll do it, as much as I want them to.

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Quite apparent that academics are not part of the discussion, then.

Does it matter if they say they're part of the the University of Nebraska system? That's all they have to play it off. Like I said, though, I still think it's going to be ASU. If it's not ASU then I'm going with UNO and ASU replaces them in the NCHC.

1 minute ago, GFG said:

Does it matter if they say they're part of the the University of Nebraska system? That's all they have to play it off. Like I said, though, I still think it's going to be ASU. If it's not ASU then I'm going with UNO and ASU replaces them in the NCHC.

Didnt I hear that why UNL lost its AAU status (or whatever its called) UNO had the med (or was it law) school and it "became separate" right as they were joining the B1G.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cratter said:

Didnt I hear that why UNL lost its AAU status (or whatever its called) UNO had the med (or was it law) school and it "became separate" right as they were joining the B1G.

Actually I believe you're correct...they lost AAU status because the med school was located in Omaha...

10 minutes ago, GFG said:

But Yote guy seems to think it's likely Lincoln will start up hockey.  All these rumors smacks of the old Ferris Bueller bit.

7 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

School - Enrollment - Endowment - Primary Athletic Division

UND - 15k - $230M - DI

WMU - 24k - $320M - DI

UMD - 10k - $130M - DII

DU - 12k - $467M - DI

CC - 2k - $680M - DIII

UNO - 15k - ? - DI

Miami - 24k - $460M - DI

SCSU - 15k - $23M - DII

Mankato - 18k - $50M - DII

Bemidji State - 6k - $11M - DII

Which schools should UND associate itself with?  For comparison purposes, Dickinson State has an endowment of $9M.

So by these standards, why would the B10 want to associate with UND, I mean UND's endowment doesn't even come close to the lowest one in the B10.

So Miami, UNO, and I throw another one out there, RIT are challengers to Ariz St for the 8th spot?

RIT was brought up by a Gopher fan on Frank the Tanks blog.  DIII RIT is in Rochester, which doesn't have any other DI school, is stellar academically in a hockey mad region with a new arena.  Rochester would go bonkers over a B1G bid and would help Penn St and would provide a team besides Notre Dame to represent the B1G in NYC.  RIT is in the tournament this year and has made the Frozen Four a couple of years ago.  RIT would be an easy add because only hockey is DI, like only lax is DI for B1G affiliate Johns Hopkins.

Hell no UND should not join. The only reason to join would be for the big 10 revenue, which, if we remember correctly is the whole reason the conference was built in the first place, and look how that turned out. As a UND fan that went to the UofM, I saw firsthand how the conference ruined mariucci. NCHC is a powerhouse and here to stay

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

So by these standards, why would the B10 want to associate with UND, I mean UND's endowment doesn't even come close to the lowest one in the B10.

It appears the B1G isn't interested in UND. If they are, it's likely because UND is college hockey royalty. Mankato and Bemidji are far from hockey royalty deserving of a pass for their academic and financial shortcomings. 

• Upvote 1