SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If Miami goes B1G, then no way does Western Michigan stay in NCHC.

You're probably right. I'd hate to lose UNO...

On the USCHO podcast, Jim Connelly (who broke the Notre Dame story) said "I'm not trying to break news here" but said he was hearing rumblings the UNO would be the 8th team.

Anyones guess at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If Miami goes B1G, then no way does Western Michigan stay in NCHC.

Then hopefully UNLV follows through with hockey and pairs with Ariz St.  The MAC schools hate the idea of Ariz St and UNLV anyway.  W Mich can help Bowling Green restart the CCHA.

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

If Miami were to go to the Big, and a CCHA conference was formed, who'd make up the six teams in the CCHA? -Western, BG, NMU, MTU, Ferris, and who else am I missing?

Likely MTU, NMU, and LSU wouldn't get invited.

The western AHA schools would gladly take bids.  Canisius, Niagara, Mercyhurst, and Robert Morris would run to a new CCHA. A new league on the shores of Lake Erie. 

UAH only because it's a warm bus trip.  

The AHA has teams lined up to backfill, like URI, Post, Liberty, Navy, and maybe even West Chester and Delaware, which all play in the same DI ACHA league.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Likely MTU, NMU, and LSU wouldn't get invited.

The western AHA schools would gladly take bids.  Canisius, Niagara, Mercyhurst, and Robert Morris would run to a new CCHA. A new league on the shores of Lake Erie. 

UAH only because it's a warm bus trip.  

The AHA has teams lined up to backfill, like URI, Post, Liberty, Navy, and maybe even West Chester and Delaware, which all play in the same DI ACHA league.

UHA is definately not going to be a team that the conferances would fight over, but give them some credit, three years ago they were going to be cut, in the three years they have been in the new wcha they have made some progress. The sport isn't served when schools cut their programs.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

It appears the B1G isn't interested in UND. If they are, it's likely because UND is college hockey royalty. Mankato and Bemidji are far from hockey royalty deserving of a pass for their academic and financial shortcomings. 

Espeically seeing as how the U of M has spent the last 20 years trying to force the State Universities to become glorified community colleges. The U lobbies against any increase in funding to expansion of programs at the State Universiities.

23 minutes ago, cberkas said:

If the rest of the B1G adds hockey, does the B1G kick out Notre Dame?

Getting Notre Dame for hockey opens the door for eventual full membership for Notre Dame next decade.  The Big Tens dream is to get Notre Dame and Texas in, but the ACC would be an option too.  This was a declaration of war against the ACC, and the ACC should be worried.  It's much more a strategic decision for both ND and the BTC than a hockey decision.  In another decade, the CFP may not take independent teams.

6 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Espeically seeing as how the U of M has spent the last 20 years trying to force the State Universities to become glorified community colleges. The U lobbies against any increase in funding to expansion of programs at the State Universiities.

Yep, MNSCU institutions have always come second to the University of Minnesota system (UM, Duluth, Crookston, Rochester, Morris) when it comes to state funding.

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The prospect of getting WI, MN and MI in the Ralph on a regular basis is very appealing from a season ticket holder's perspective like myself. UNO, WMU and Miami do very little for me.

I do like the UNO, WMU and Miami series' but you are correct.  To see the goofs, MICH, WIS, and ND on a regular basis would be intriguing.  One would have to think that the Big10 would be interested in UND being an affiliate simply due to the type of quality program we have the fan base.  The NCHC would be gutted however.

22 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The prospect of getting WI, MN and MI in the Ralph on a regular basis is very appealing from a season ticket holder's perspective like myself. UNO, WMU and Miami do very little for me.

Couldn't agree more. I'd through ND in on that and Penn State has a lot of good things going with their program. I would miss a few of the NCHC schools but we could still do non conference games with them.

The thought of taking in a road series at Michigan, Mich St. Ohio St Wisconsin, ND, PSU, or UM and also catching a home football or basketball game would also be cool.

UND could use the Big 10's money and resources and the Big 10 could use UND's fan base, hockey tradition, and attention UND brings. Seems like a win-win for both. Hope it happens.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

When the Ralph was built, even way back then, there was talk of a B1G hockey conference. And Ralph (or Blais?) blatantly stated if that time came, his hope was the REA would help UND get into the conference. Now UND arguably has the largest fan base in college hockey with one of the most consistent competitive programs in the country. Not much more UND could do that this point. 

31 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You got the Twin Cities media saying look at UND, look at the NCHC at the Target Center....why can't we be like them.

That can't be good for the B1G.:)

To strengthen your point, the guys on KFAN, in minneapolis, were talking college hockey last weekend, and basically said the NCHC tourney would be the same as the Big 10, if North Dakota did not make it to the Target Center.

Big picture, college hockey is a smaller sport. But within the college hockey community, North Dakota and its fan base is a hot commodity.