SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

4 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I wasn't addressing any issue other than the fact that worrying about playing home games on off days probably was a waste of time. They probably wouldn't happen for UND home games.

However, I disagree with you on some of these issues. UND has a long history of playing hockey against Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State. Much longer than the history of playing Omaha and Miami. Wins against Michigan in the 40's were what propelled UND into the top echelon of college hockey. Those Big 10 schools were all part of the WCHA for a long time, and were regular opponents as well as rivals. I enjoy the games against Omaha, Miami, and Western Michigan, but would much rather play regular games against those Big 10 schools. Penn State has made a commitment to hockey and appears to be improving quickly. The schools that have had strong programs in the past will most likely come back in the future. I would still want to continue playing Denver and CC because of the history, the same history as playing the former WCHA teams in the Big 10.

Just because the NCHC is a hockey only conference doesn't mean that it is the best place for UND. A hockey only conference has a very limited sphere of influence, the Big 10 has much greater influence in the world of college sports. If the NCAA is going to make major changes to the sport, having the Big 10 on your side would be much more useful than having the NCHC. Several of the Big 10 schools have had strong programs over many years in spite of the fact that they were the 3rd or 4th sport in their school. These schools have the financial resources to support all of their athletic programs, so money isn't going to be a problem for them as long as they want to be competitive.

That being said, it would totally depend on the conditions and terms offered to UND if they were offered an entry into the Big 10 hockey conference. You can't make a final decision either way on a topic like this unless you know the details.

I don't think anyone on this message board has that power :D

13 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I don't think anyone on this message board has that power :D

Obviously, I don't have that power and I am just stating on why I wouldn't like to see it. When the B10 started, most of the teams (Gophers and Badgers) stated that we needed THEM to survive but now the tables have turned and it does not seem like we would need them. 

There will always be pros and cons with everything and if a decision was to be made right now, to me the pros do not outweigh the cons.  

• Upvote 3

On 3/1/2016 at 0:47 PM, GFG said:

Minnesota had 1..I repeat, ONE game on Thursday this year, and it was last week against Michigan. They had 2 others that were out of their control in the North Star Cup on Sunday and SCSU on Sunday because they had a home football game against Wisconsin on Saturday, making it nearly impossible to have a hockey game that day. That's something they did during home football games while they were in the WCHA, too. You completely blow it out of proportion. Either Minnesota agreed to have the Michigan series on Thursday and Friday to have both games televised by BTN, or else there were other events in the area Saturday (Red Bull Crashed Ice World Championships) that they didn't want to compete with, which is also a strong possibility. The NCHC has had some Thursday games this year, too. Denver and CC just had one two weeks ago, so it's not a B1G thing.

Sorry for the rant, it's just a tiring thing to hear when it's almost completely not true. 

The Don had to get senior night at Notre Dame on Saturday...Priorities! He's always planning ahead!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Obviously, I don't have that power and I am just stating on why I wouldn't like to see it. When the B10 started, most of the teams (Gophers and Badgers) stated that we needed THEM to survive but now the tables have turned and it does not seem like we would need them. 

There will always be pros and cons with everything and if a decision was to be made right now, to me the pros do not outweigh the cons.  

The pro have nothing to do with hockey and everything to do with academics.  

After all the talk about this 

I see it as a nightmare college hockey should avoid

& why is it even being discussed ?

Guess I missed the benefits to us

It's not like they are some special league

1 minute ago, Fetch said:

After all the talk about this 

I see it as a nightmare college hockey should avoid

& why is it even being discussed ?

Guess I missed the benefits to us

A new president would jump at an offer if presented.

The traveling itineraries on UND hockey fans are the biggest priority to a new Prez.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A new president would jump at an offer if presented.

The traveling itineraries on UND hockey fans are the biggest priority to a new Prez.

What does that even mean ?

I couldn't find it, what is the cut of the BTN is John Hopkins going to get from the B1G?

If UND can get a cut of the BTN they will join the B1G which will help the other sports when it comes to all the complaints about where the money is being distributed amongst the athletic department.

20 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Like I said earlier, it's sports affiliation only. Johns Hopkins didn't need to join the B10 for academics or for money, as the have a $3.5MM endowment.

is that million or billion because i think that 3.5 million is trumps checking account

1 hour ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

is that million or billion because i think that 3.5 million is trumps checking account

Johns Hopkins endowment is over $3.4billion. Big, but still pales in comparison to Northwestern's $10.20billion endowment. I've never understood why Northwestern hasn't started up a hockey team. They have the money and are in the backyard of a community who currently has a thriving hockey fanbase in Chicago. Illinois is also around #6 in the country in amount of collegiate hockey players. It's just crazy to me that they haven't done it.

36 minutes ago, GFG said:

Johns Hopkins endowment is over $3.4billion. Big, but still pales in comparison when compared to Northwestern's $10.20billion endowment. I've never understood why Northwestern hasn't started up a hockey team. They have the money and are in the backyard of a community who currently has a thriving hockey fanbase in Chicago. Illinois is also around #6 in the country in amount of collegiate hockey players. It's just crazy to me that they haven't done it.

Never understood why a lot of schools in hockey country that have endowments like that, don't add the sport.

22 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Never would be a full membership. 

Agreed. There's no way under current circumstances that it would ever happen. As much as sports do rule much of this stuff, it's apparent that the B1G is the one P5 conference that truly does try and maintain academic integrity.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't really want to start my own thread, but I wonder if we are seeing the end of parity and college hockey as we know it. With paying student athletes, you have to think a lot of these smaller public schools won't be able to afford it. 

Might be a lot more one and done's from the WCHA, and hurt some of Hockey Easts public schools?

One would think private schools would be more likely to afford FCOA.

Private schools represent 10 out of the 16 teams this year in the tournament. This could be a record?

(maybe its not a rise of the east vs west but a rise of the Private schools? 7 out of the last 8 National Champions...of course lots of private schools in the East, but Hockey East Conference is split 50/50...).

in short, this is could be good news for the BIG, oh and getting rid of 21 year old freshman.