SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:15 PM, The Sicatoka said:

If the kid walked on, he probably short-changed himself. 

There is no reason for any kid anywhere to accept a preferred walk-on spot before their senior year. It does nothing for the kid and it may decrease the chance he will receive a scholarship from the offering school or from another school. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

There is no reason for any kid anywhere to accept a preferred walk-on spot before their senior year. It does nothing for the kid and it may decrease the chance he will receive a scholarship from the offering school or from another school. 

I can see a scenario where this works out to his benefit. A verbal commitment is only worth the paper it's written on. Recruiting doesn't stop after a verbal. The bar has now been set at "offer a scholarship or I'm going to fargo." It does certainly reduce/eliminate the chance of ndsu offering a scholarship without being forced to by his de-committment though. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I can see a scenario where this works out to his benefit. A verbal commitment is only worth the paper it's written on. Recruiting doesn't stop after a verbal. The bar has now been set at "offer a scholarship or I'm going to fargo." It does certainly reduce/eliminate the chance of ndsu offering a scholarship without being forced to by his de-committment though. 

Which is a problem for him because his dream seems to involve playing for ndsu

Local prospect looking for offer: http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1676208-hankey-hoping-state-offer

Reveals interesting perspective that may relate to this generation of local student-athletes (consider South Dakota Gibbs committing early to NDSU) : "At the NDSU spring game and junior day, they had me in the tight end / fullback group, but they said they hadn't ruled out linebacker yet. Most of the other schools I would say are looking at me as primarily a linebacker. An NDSU offer would mean a lot as I've always been a big Bison fan and to get an offer from a team who has won the last 5 FCS national championships would be a real honor. It's hard to say what I would do if that offer came as it would be very tough to not commit right away, but I'd like to keep my options open a little bit."

Even SD is happy for Gibbs about his commit....media loves him.  He got sound byte of the year too after his team won the state championship. Some phrase about his wedding day wouldn't be be any better than that...apologizes to his future wife.   This was after his NDSU commit..  http://www.kdlt.com/news/local-news/langfords-gibbs-commits-to-ndsu/40004106#.V17EYUBgqKw.gmail

4 hours ago, Football fan said:

Even SD is happy for Gibbs about his commit....media loves him.  He got sound byte of the year too after his team won the state championship. Some phrase about his wedding day wouldn't be be any better than that...apologizes to his future wife.   This was after his NDSU commit..  http://www.kdlt.com/news/local-news/langfords-gibbs-commits-to-ndsu/40004106#.V17EYUBgqKw.gmail

That's great for Lincoln, good coverage.  Not real surprising there are reports by local media on it.  

Still doesn't change the point it was an extremely odd timing for PWO.  

Not UND related or even 2017, but I thought this was interesting.... Check Out the 8th Grade QB Who Just Got His First SEC Offer

A quarterback who is more than a year removed from his first day of high school has picked up an SEC offer.

The 6-4, 190-pound Aaron McLaughlin will eventually play for North Gwinnett High. He wasn't offered by the Georgia Bulldogs, he is based in the state and could definitely make a lot of noise in the coming years.

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Local prospect looking for offer: http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1676208-hankey-hoping-state-offer

Reveals interesting perspective that may relate to this generation of local student-athletes (consider South Dakota Gibbs committing early to NDSU) : "At the NDSU spring game and junior day, they had me in the tight end / fullback group, but they said they hadn't ruled out linebacker yet. Most of the other schools I would say are looking at me as primarily a linebacker. An NDSU offer would mean a lot as I've always been a big Bison fan and to get an offer from a team who has won the last 5 FCS national championships would be a real honor. It's hard to say what I would do if that offer came as it would be very tough to not commit right away, but I'd like to keep my options open a little bit."

Article seems a little slanted which being from an SU site should be no surprise. Title mentions he's hoping for a UND or NDSU offer but article talks exclusively about ndsu. He had to have spoke about UND with a title like that. My guess is the UND quotes were left off the story.

Regardless I love this kids tape and feel he's the type of tough hard nose ND kid the staff should be on. Hope to see him in Kelly Green in the fall of 2018.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

Article seems a little slanted which being from an SU site should be no surprise. Title mentions he's hoping for a UND or NDSU offer but article talks exclusively about ndsu. He had to have spoke about UND with a title like that. My guess is the UND quotes were left off the story.

Regardless I love this kids tape and feel he's the type of tough hard nose ND kid the staff should be on. Hope to see him in Kelly Green in the fall of 2018.

Good looking kid.  Hope he attends the upcoming Elite camp on June 23rd.  

34 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I doubt Bubba will be scouting the QB's at Valley Middle School anytime soon. :lol:

They should have back in the 80s when that QB was there that went to Wisconsin & later NFL