SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

On 6/5/2016 at 7:24 PM, Longtime fan said:

This would be a great get!  Had 350 yards and 6 tds in last years championship game and led the d in tackles that game as well.  Very good size 5'11" 205  4.52 speed.  He will only get bigger this year and the following before playing.   Hope und can wrangle him in.  

On 6/5/2016 at 4:39 PM, Football fan said:

I saw through Twitter that Lincoln Gibbs, Langford Area, SD, a RB was offered. 

image.png

Looks Lincoln Gibbs committed to NDSU.   That's already their second commit for the year.

8 minutes ago, TRex said:

Looks Lincoln Gibbs committed to NDSU.   That's already their second commit for the year.

I wonder if he's the one Schwenzfeier tweeted about.

I'd have guessed it was the new USD coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TRex said:

UND and NDSU both offered walk-on spots.  He basically took a walk-on on spot before camp season even began.  Strange choice.

47 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

UND and NDSU both offered walk-on spots.  He basically took a walk-on on spot before camp season even began.  Strange choice.

I'm surprised we went with a WO offer.    Seemed like he'd have been a good get.   Apparently Bubba must have his sights set on someone better.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

He tweeted a pic of himself as a kid in an ndsu shirt. If und hockey and omaha hockey both offered you a walk on spot and you had grown up a und fan, what would you take? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, southpaw said:

He tweeted a pic of himself as a kid in an ndsu shirt. If und hockey and omaha hockey both offered you a walk on spot and you had grown up a und fan, what would you take? 

Why are you asking me that?  Did I question his choice of NDSU?  

52 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Sure, but still a loss for UND.

Had hoped he would end up at UND, being they offered first.  Oh well, NDSU will be a damn thorn in the side for awhile (if not forever). 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Being a very early walk on... doesn't that mean he is still pretty much up for grabs?

I'd hope, for his sake, it's a very soft commitment. Not sure why you'd want to go someplace you aren't valued enough to keep a walk-on offer open for. 

20 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'd hope, for his sake, it's a very soft commitment. Not sure why you'd want to go someplace you aren't valued enough to keep a walk-on offer open for. 

Which is what I was saying, but some cannot comprehend.  I wouldn't have wanted him to take UND's walk-on offer.  What is the point?

Camp season is coming up and I assume he will be attending NDSU, USD, SDSU, etc.  Perform well at even one of them and they might throw a half-ride offer at you.  Now the bar is set for the other schools if they are interested.  

To take a walk-on before camp season seems very, very strange considering he could take that walk-on in the fall or winter.  Plus, why would NDSU offer him anything now, they already got him.  

12 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Being a very early walk on... doesn't that mean he is still pretty much up for grabs?

He's dirtied himself by being associated to that school to he south, hope und stays away.  There are still plenty of great talented recruits out there.  Und has been doing a fantastic job on the recruiting front and will continue to do so.  

20 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I wonder if he's the one Schwenzfeier tweeted about.

I'd have guessed it was the new USD coaching staff.

I have a belief that the young men we want and need are intelligent enough and have enough awareness to see through that.  If an athlete can't navigate through the good and the bad in recruiting, that's a potential character flaw in my book. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I have a belief that the young men we want and need are intelligent enough and have enough awareness to see through that.  If an athlete can't navigate through the good and the bad in recruiting, that's a potential character flaw in my book. 

2 hours ago, Momster said:

I can honestly say, how many 16-18 YO young men know that much about what they are eating tomorrow much less how they'll dig through the deep inner motivations and truthfulness of people they barely know when their future is in flux?  This isn't an easy time. They along with their families have typically never been through this process--you wouldn't believe the emails, texts, IM's, hundreds of mailers, promises made, insinuations that get put out there if you are a recruit.  Everyone has an opinion including these kids own coaches, families, friends, girlfriends and you throw in school and academics and proximity to home or not, $ and shake it all in a baggy with some hormones and you just never know what comes out the other side.

Exactly Momster, these are 16 to 17 year old kids that are trying to make their way through this process.  Lincoln Gibbs lives close to my community.  I don't think there is a person who doesn't respect him.  His work ethic, passion, community service, and integrity is of no other high school kid I've seen.  He is a waiter at the restaurant we patron, a kid from a small school with incredible talent. I went to UND, my wife and I were hoping that  he would go to UND.  There was almost of full page story today regarding Lincoln and the offer in the Aberdeen American News. He's a class act. The Bison scored with this kid. Longtime Fan, I can see why you are PO'd.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

That may be a bit of a stretch. Recruiting is such a crazy shell game at times that I don't think you can put that much blame on a kid. Some of these coaches are very good salesmen, aka manipulative. They know what they're doing and not all have the best interests of a kid at heart. Fortunately I feel our coaches truly care about what's best for each kid. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Momster said:

I can honestly say, how many 16-18 YO young men know that much about what they are eating tomorrow much less how they'll dig through the deep inner motivations and truthfulness of people they barely know when their future is in flux?  This isn't an easy time. They along with their families have typically never been through this process--you wouldn't believe the emails, texts, IM's, hundreds of mailers, promises made, insinuations that get put out there if you are a recruit.  Everyone has an opinion including these kids own coaches, families, friends, girlfriends and you throw in school and academics and proximity to home or not, $ and shake it all in a baggy with some hormones and you just never know what comes out the other side.

Yes, to your point, it's an adult decision to make.  We differ a little but in no way do I mean any disrespect.  On a 1-10 scale, If 1 was kid's gloves and 10 was treat these young men as adults, put me at a 7 or so.  Family and friends are instrumental in this process, how much input to provide yet letting the recruit make his own decision.  Good luck!!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Football fan said:

Exactly Momster, these are 16 to 17 year old kids that are trying to make their way through this process.  Lincoln Gibbs lives close to my community.  I don't think there is a person who doesn't respect him.  His work ethic, passion, community service, and integrity is of no other high school kid I've seen.  He is a waiter at the restaurant we patron, a kid from a small school with incredible talent. I went to UND, my wife and I were hoping that  he would go to UND.  There was almost of full page story today regarding Lincoln and the offer in the Aberdeen American News. He's a class act. The Bison scored with this kid. Longtime Fan, I can see why you are PO'd.

Sorry, I was speaking in general terms.  Last year we saw a kid make 3 verbal commitments in 5 weeks.......just a little strange to me.  Being you are a UND grad, don't be a stranger.  Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

That may be a bit of a stretch. Recruiting is such a crazy shell game at times that I don't think you can put that much blame on a kid. Some of these coaches are very good salesmen, aka manipulative. They know what they're doing and not all have the best interests of a kid at heart. Fortunately I feel our coaches truly care about what's best for each kid. 

I couldn't agree more-

• Upvote 2