SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

Other than releases from the SID's office and maybe some visitor scoreboards, I don't think we'll see much in the way of "Fighting Hawks" for a very long time.  

I really hope you're right.  But I have a feeling that Hawks will initially be forced upon the athletic department pretty hard.  Ultimately the money will do the talking and whether Hawks merchandise sells will be the determining factor.  Before this voting process began, I wouldn't have thought Hawks would sell to UND fans.  But apparently the consultants know their stuff and know that a safe, unimaginative, generic, inoffensive nickname is what the people actually want.  

Ralph Engelstad was a great guy to UND. Did a lot for the school and athletics. Like him I'm a huge Sioux supporter. Will be voting Roughriders again, Hawks is the worst name ever (I highly suspect that "Fighting" will be dropped from the official name.) 

However, maybe Ralph wouldn't have much of a problem with Hawks since it means we could transition to something this. The soldiers that wore it were pretty into fighting if I recall and a lot of North Dakotans have German background. Win-win, right?1297px-Reichsadler_der_Deutsches_Reich_%

• Downvote 4

Ralph Engelstad was a great guy to UND. Did a lot for the school and athletics. Like him I'm a huge Sioux supporter. Will be voting Roughriders again, Hawks is the worst name ever (I highly suspect that "Fighting" will be dropped from the official name.) 

However, maybe Ralph wouldn't have much of a problem with Hawks since it means we could transition to something this. The soldiers that wore it were pretty into fighting if I recall and a lot of North Dakotans have German background. Win-win, right?1297px-Reichsadler_der_Deutsches_Reich_%

not PC, but I've always thought that was a seriously cool image.  It's just too bad that it's associated with one of the worst groups of people in human history.   Drop that Nazi symbol and the wreath and it's a cool logo, but even I agree you can't go there.

Seriously, just for fun.....pretend the Nazis never existed.  Or perhaps they never used this image.  Replace the swastika with the interlocking ND.  Not bad.   But they did, so we can't.  And I agree with that.

Edited by dagies

not PC, but I've always thought that was a seriously cool image.  It's just too bad that it's associated with one of the worst groups of people in human history.   Drop that Nazi symbol and the wreath and it's a cool logo, but even I agree you can't go there.

Unfortunately the nazi association has ruined a lot of cool Egyptian, Norse, and German symbols.

• Upvote 1

Seriously, just for fun.....pretend the Nazis never existed.  Or perhaps they never used this image.     Replace the swastika with the interlocking ND.  Not bad.  But they did, so you can't.   And I agree with that. 

I like it too, especially with the ND inside the wreath instead.

I also thought the giant bird on the Firebirds/Trans Ams was a cool image. 

Volley: Raid your parents' email account (assuming) and vote for them. :D 

Set up email accounts fifteen years ago, trained them, and they haven't opened them since.  With the advent of Ipads, they look at Facebook now and check some social websites to keep up, especially with family, but they don't add any content anywhere.  Sending an email to them is like sending a pony express message:  they'll get it if one of their progeny opens email for them.

But mostly my dad uses his Ipad for solitaire, as he doesn't have to shuffle cards.

Have a number of siblings and in-laws.  They were going to abstain from because most of them wanted North Dakota.  Convinced them RR is for best now, and they voted last time (or the said they did).  Have some nieces and nephews that currently go to UND, and they said their friends are overwhelmingly voting for hawks.

Edited by SiouxVolley

I seriously seriously wish this image didn't exist

Its a matter of time until BV gets ahold of this and then goes EVERYONEs credibility.

My argument, from a different perspective is this -- when a student becomes an alum, they can choose a few different routes:

1. move on and away, no longer associate with the university

2. choose to attend games, be a fan from near or far, and have season tickets

3. become a donor and season ticket holder

and various combinations of the three.

I feel that those who have already demonstrated their commitment should get more say than a student, because we cannot tell how many students will end up being associated with the school in the future. Their level of commitment, by nature, is unknown.

Its a matter of time until BV gets ahold of this and then goes EVERYONEs credibility.
My argument, from a different perspective is this -- when a student becomes an alum, they can choose a few different routes:

I feel that those who have already demonstrated their commitment should get more say than a student, because we cannot tell how many students will end up being associated with the school in the future. Their level of commitment, by nature, is unknown.

Didn't we already settle this with the removal of the 3/5 Compromise?

• Upvote 1

How in the world would you set that up for a one-time vote?  You're going to research the worthiness of 82,000 people, and then grant them varying voting power based a list of criteria generated by?   Who decides how many extra votes for those meeting certain criteria?   Does Kim Jong Un get a say in this?  holy crap batman.

My choice isn't on the final ballot.   The writing is on the wall.  I do feel fortunate my second choice of the three is going to win.  But regardless, I would accept the voting process and results.   We cannot blame the students who have 20% of the voting power for what the final result will be.  

let it go......Fighting Hawks will be the new name in a matter of days.... embrace the Hawk...... 

Edited by Siouxphan27
  • Upvote 2

Edited by fightingsioux4life
  • Downvote 1

voting should have been doled out something like this

1 vote per hat you wear (Oxbow and Sic would get three votes)

Donors votes weighted at 2x

Season ticket holders weighted at 1.75x

Alum weighted at 1.5x

Students/faculty weighted at 1x

Reason being that a lot of the students aren't even familiar with the history of the university. How many students association with this place start the day they walk on campus? Too many to be making lifelong decisions for the University. An alarming number of students I've spoken with completely disagree with this logic (which describes fascination w/blackhawk logo and HowAboutWeKeepSioux).

But it doesn't matter. Go Green.

America!