SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

I guess I don't see anyone real "giddy", I know my choices lost 3 times! But I'm ready to support the choice, and that sure looks like its going to be FH, seen as how it won the last two votes???

I agree.  I don't see any giddyness.  I see either acceptance, or the early stages of grief.   Just like the no nicknamers were told to move on, the Roughriders diehards will need to do the same.  But it will take some time.

Go Hawks!!

• Upvote 2

Somewhere, maybe here, I read a description of a consultant as someone who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is and then keeps the watch. This description fits the consultants who gave us Fighting Hawks. I think this is what bothers me so much, is they are going to have a big payday at our expense of having a cliché for a name, and it took them maybe three minutes of their precious lives to come up with it.

• Upvote 3

voting should have been doled out something like this

1 vote per hat you wear (Oxbow and Sic would get three votes)

Donors votes weighted at 2x

Season ticket holders weighted at 1.75x

Alum weighted at 1.5x

Students/faculty weighted at 1x

Reason being that a lot of the students aren't even familiar with the history of the university. How many students association with this place start the day they walk on campus? Too many to be making lifelong decisions for the University. An alarming number of students I've spoken with completely disagree with this logic (which describes fascination w/blackhawk logo and HowAboutWeKeepSioux).

But it doesn't matter. Go Green.

voting should have been doled out something like this

1 vote per hat you wear (Oxbow and Sic would get three votes)

Donors votes weighted at 2x

Season ticket holders weighted at 1.75x

Alum weighted at 1.5x

Students/faculty weighted at 1x

Reason being that a lot of the students aren't even familiar with the history of the university. How many students association with this place start the day they walk on campus? Too many to be making lifelong decisions for the University. An alarming number of students I've spoken with completely disagree with this logic (which describes fascination w/blackhawk logo and HowAboutWeKeepSioux).

But it doesn't matter. Go Green.

students are roughly 20% of the eligible voters.   Giving 80% of the eligible voters potential "extra" votes would've been viewed as grossly unfair.  

The frustration with the students for the outcome doesn't add up.  Literally.

I am not saying the students should get fewer votes because they disagree with me -- I'm saying a 60 year old donor and alumn who has season tickets (has been donating for probably 30-35 years) should get more - much more - say than a snot-nosed 20 year old kid who didn't know what the University of North Dakota was two years prior. Does that seem unreasonable?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

students are roughly 20% of the eligible voters.   Giving 80% of the eligible voters potential "extra" votes would've been viewed as grossly unfair.  

The frustration with the students for the outcome doesn't add up.  Literally.

Students  almost live on the internet today.  A lot of them, and faculty, have to use the UND system daily.  It's easy for students and faculty to vote, and probably 60-80% voted.  Compare that with alums who work.  Many of them can't access personal items on the internet or are just so busy or to removed from the whole issue.  Probably 25% voted this time, and less before.

• Downvote 1

I am not saying the students should get fewer votes because they disagree with me -- I'm saying a 60 year old donor and alumn who has season tickets (has been donating for probably 30-35 years) should get more - much more - say than a snot-nosed 20 year old kid who didn't know what the University of North Dakota was two years prior. Does that seem unreasonable?

What about a 22 year old student that has bled green since they were born?

Yes, it is unreasonable. And the bolded part above was totally unnecessary and uncalled for. 1) We all were "snot-nosed 20 year olds" at one point and 2) I like the students better than I do a lot of the bureaucrats I have to deal with around here. Believe that.

• Upvote 3

Yes, it does seem extremely unfair and unreasonable to have age discrimination based voting.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  

And as I stated, the numbers don't lie.

• Upvote 2

What about a 22 year old student that has bled green since they were born?

Exceptions to every rule -- accounting for that  <1% of the population is what led to the removal of the Sioux name. Use that reasoning if you'd like.

Yes, it is unreasonable. And the bolded part above was totally unnecessary and uncalled for. 1) We all were "snot-nosed 20 year olds" at one point and 2) I like the students better than I do a lot of the bureaucrats I have to deal with around here. Believe that.

I like some students too. We all were snot-nosed 20 year olds, just like we were all 4 year old kids needing discipline, 8th grade kids being sent to the principles office, and new grads at our first jobs -- doesn't mean they possess the same perspective, or hold the school in the same esteem as one who has been associated with the school for longer.

Does your parents marriage of 50 years represent greater value than your marriage of 1 year? In a similar way, the association with the university is more valued the longer it goes back, at least in my mind.