SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

Yea i know, its bad that I'm a hockey fan. You are such a better fan than me:(

Oh, i go to WBB also. Is that bad? 

Unreal...

Nope, not bad that your a hockey fan.  I am too.  I just happen to support all of UND's sports...apparently you do not, and that's your choice.  I was just poking a little fun at the "Hockey only" crowd that's all.  I'm glad you support some of UND's athletic programs. :xmas:

So to change the direction of this thread a little bit, what would look better on the new ND Licences plate...since it includes a bison?  A roughrider or an eagle?  

111315.N.BND_.LICENSEPLATE_1.JPG?itok=KN

Teddy Roosevelt riding on a flying fighting hawk with a bow and arrow shooting the bison?

• Upvote 1

That's not my opinion.  That is fact.  William & Mary College's nickname is the tribe.  They wanted to keep two feathers as a part of their logo to pay homage to their old "Native American" mascot.  The NCAA said no...Not technically I guess, they said they would remain in violation if they chose to keep the feathers.

I feel the need to point out you are comparing apples and oranges here.  Or more like apples and lasagna. 

William and Mary was told they could keep their name as the Tribe if they got rid of any Native American imagery.   They could still be a tribe, just not a Native American tribe.

If Fighting Hawks is chosen, UND will have complied by changing their name.  And, a fun fact for the kids listening at home, hawks are birds with feathers.  :)

The NCAA would not prohibit UND from putting feathers on a bird.   No other school that has complied by changing their name to a bird has been prohibited from having birds donning feathers as part of their logos or mascots.  

• Upvote 2

I feel the need to point out you are comparing apples and oranges here.  Or more like apples and lasagna. 

William and Mary was told they could keep their name as the Tribe if they got rid of any Native American imagery.   They could still be a tribe, just not a Native American tribe.

If Fighting Hawks is chosen, UND will have complied by changing their name.  And, a fun fact for the kids listening at home, hawks are birds with feathers.  :)

The NCAA would not prohibit UND from putting feathers on a bird.   No other school that has complied by changing their name to a bird has been prohibited from having birds donning feathers as part of their logos or mascots.  

Yep, last time I checked, Hawks are birds that fly with feathers. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I get that the hawk will have feathers.  I'm saying that it won't have feathers or a logo that resemble the Sioux logo in any manner.

Can the hawk still look like a man with feathers even though it isn't one?

when I look at the Blackhawk hawk logo, it doesn't look like a man at all.   not sure which one you're looking at.  

the main thing that would need to be changed is the little button that is holding the colored feathers.   get rid of the button, and tame those wild, large feathers as desired, change the colors, and it will look more hawkish and still resemble the Blackhawk logo.

when I look at the Blackhawk hawk logo, it doesn't look like a man at all.   not sure which one you're looking at.  

When I look at the Blackhawks hawk logo, I see a logo that looks like the Blackhawks logo, which is of a man.

Isn't that why its popular?

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

the main thing that would need to be changed is the little button that is holding the colored feathers.   get rid of the button, and tame those wild, large feathers as desired, change the colors, and it will look more hawkish and still resemble the Blackhawk logo.

I don't remember seeing any hawks with colored feathers like that. It sure seems like it is meant to resemble a Native American headdress. And we all know that the NCAA has issues with all Native American names and IMAGERY. Both are mentioned in the original policy. Native American imagery is why William and Mary was not allowed to keep the feathers in their logo. If feathers look like they are part of a bird they are fine, if they are Native American related they are not good.