SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

exactly.  The pressure will be there from the students to design a logo that is similar.   

Which is it? Does the logo not have anything to do with the vote, if so, this statement is 100% contradictory, otherwise I'm unsure of what exactly you're arguing. You can't say in one post that the logo that's been circulating has nothing to do with a vote for Fighting Hawks, and in the very next post say that there will be pressure to have a logo similar to it. 

Edited because of auto correct.

Edited by snova4
  • Upvote 1

Raph was also the type (under the circumstances ) who would have told the ncaa & current administration to go F themselves & spend the $ to make it happen

Wrong quote that was meant for sico

Edited by Fetch

Which is it? Does the logo not have anything to do with the vote, if so, this statement is 100% contradictory, otherwise I'm unsure of what exactly you're arguing. You can't say in on post that the logo that's been circulating has nothing to do with a vote for Fighting Hawks, and in the very next vote say that there will be pressure to have a logo similar to it. 

similar to the colors, etc... of the SIOUX logo, not the blackhawk one. You guys really need to relax. no matter how mad you get, how bad you degrade people that disagree with you, no matter how many SS.com votes pick RR, none of it will change the outcome, deal with it.

• Upvote 1

similar to the colors, etc... of the SIOUX logo, not the blackhawk one. You guys really need to relax. no matter how mad you get, how bad you degrade people that disagree with you, no matter how many SS.com votes pick RR, none of it will change the outcome, deal with it.

This "Image has no connection to the nicknames that are being voted on," Johnson said. "Anybody who is projecting that isn't projecting the reality." The logo is taken and will not be used at UND.

North Dakota is the Sioux State.
North Dakota is the Roughrider State.

Was Fighting Hawks Planned All Along?'s photo.

If Earl Strinden was willing to say this to a reporter, it's real. 

However, Ralph Engelstad was apparently aware the winds of political correctness were already changing. Strinden revealed today that during a meeting in the late 1990’s with then President Kupchella and Engelstad in Las Vegas, that Engelstad suggested the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo be kept for 5 years and then changed.

Think about this: If we'd have followed Ralph's "late 1990s" idea, we'd have had a new nickname that Ralph would've been on-board with before 2005 ... and not had to deal with any of this NCAA policy mess that we've had for a decade. 

Ralph was a visionary. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Didn't realize asking for clarification was degrading. Besides that, telling people to DEAL with it comes off as extremely condescending. Maybe my tone comes off as degrading/condescending, but I believe that would only be in response to which I've been spoken to. So, deal with it. :D

Didn't realize asking for clarification was degrading. Besides that, telling people to DEAL with it comes off as extremely condescending. Maybe my tone comes off as degrading/condescending, but I believe that would only be in response to which I've been spoken to. So, deal with it. :D

Pot meet kettle....

Thats the blackhawk logo, the quote says simular to the Sioux logo is the hopeful design of whichever the new one is. The paper quote is above, I guess its only conjecture and my reading skills are bad...???

Yes, because the student body president hopes they will consider incorporating the old Sioux logo into the new logo.  I guarantee you that won't happen, if you don't believe that, try contacting the NCAA , William and Mary, or any other school that has had to drop a Native American nickname.

Yes, because the student body president hopes they will consider incorporating the old Sioux logo into the new logo.  I guarantee you that won't happen, if you don't believe that, try contacting the NCAA , William and Mary, or any other school that has had to drop a Native American nickname.

Ok, that's your opinion, I bet you we will find out someday though...one of us will be...?

Which is it? Does the logo not have anything to do with the vote, if so, this statement is 100% contradictory, otherwise I'm unsure of what exactly you're arguing. You can't say in one post that the logo that's been circulating has nothing to do with a vote for Fighting Hawks, and in the very next post say that there will be pressure to have a logo similar to it. 

Edited because of auto correct.

(sigh)

because the words "exact", and "similar", have different meanings.

Thats the blackhawk logo, the quote says simular to the Sioux logo is the hopeful design of whichever the new one is. The paper quote is above, I guess its only conjecture and my reading skills are bad...???

And it's not your reading skills necessarily, it's your comprehension skills.  A UND Spokesperson is quoted as saying that any potential logos being passed around will potentially become UND's logo are "Not projecting the reality."  That's fact whereas the quote by the UND Student body president is wishful thinking...

That's not my opinion.  That is fact.  William & Mary College's nickname is the tribe.  They wanted to keep two feathers as a part of their logo to pay homage to their old "Native American" mascot.  The NCAA said no...Not technically I guess, they said they would remain in violation if they chose to keep the feathers.

Me a over a decade ago here: 

Although I love the name and logo like everyone else, I also feel changing it is inevitable.

Pressure...mainly from the NCAA. It could easily hinder conference affiliation down the road. Committees coming to the Universitiy to look into the name. The fact that UND may not be able to be awarded future NCAA tourny sites. Just take a look at the controversy surrounding UND and its hosting of the Elite Eight. Also see:

Also just look at the numerous colleges and universities in the past 50 years that have switched monikers because of similar issues. Oklahoma, Stanford, Mankato, Marquette, Miami (Ohio), etc. etc. etc...After awhile one has to ask himself is it a fight worth battling for. Newspapers and sportscasts refusing to use the name "sioux" and being suspended for it, protests after protests.

Believe me I love the name and logo and want it to stand forever, but I don't believe that will happen. :D

Ralph was a visionary. 

Me and Ralph....:D 

And it's not your reading skills necessarily, it's your comprehension skills.  A UND Spokesperson is quoted as saying that any potential logos being passed around will potentially become UND's logo are "Not projecting the reality."  That's fact whereas the quote by the UND Student body president is wishful thinking...

Ok? You guys keep acting like I'm defending the blackhawk logo like its what they are getting. I have said since day one that it's not going to be the logo, no chance. 

My comprehension lead me astray to think the new logo may try to incorporate the old Sioux logo. Even though....Ahh never mind.

• Upvote 1

Ok? You guys keep acting like I'm defending the blackhawk logo like its what they are getting. I have said since day one that it's not going to be the logo, no chance. 

My comprehension lead me astray to think the new logo may try to incorporate the old Sioux logo. Even though....Ahh never mind.

It won't be the same logo and it won't incorporate anything that can be deemed to be related to Native American imagery.  Here's an article summarizing what happened at William and Mary.  

https://snootyobserver.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/the-william-mary-mascot-disaster/

Even if it were "possible," there's no way UND will incorporate a new logo that has any potential tie to the old logo.  There's no way they want to have this controversy come up again.  I'm just disputing your claim that the paper said "they" are already looking at how the new logo can incorporate some of the same concepts of the old logo.  It's not going to happen...

Edited by dmksioux

It won't be the same logo and it won't incorporate anything that can be deemed to be related to Native American imagery.  Here's an article summarizing what happened at William and Mary.  

https://snootyobserver.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/the-william-mary-mascot-disaster/

Even if it were "possible," there's no way UND will incorporate a new logo that has any potential tie to the old logo.  There's no way they want to have this controversy come up again...

Dude, whatever you say....

I cant wait to support and follow my favorite hockey team everywhere with their new nickname....(?????)........Same love no matter what the name is from me!

• Upvote 1

Doesn't have to be exactly like that logo either to have influence if people hope that it's similar.

Sigh 

your assertion is its a big deal because if that "exact" logo is not usable, people would change their minds and vote Roughriders.   Otherwise you wouldn't complain about it.  Nobody knows for sure what a Roughriders logo would look like, but I bet Roughriders voters have an idea of what they would like it to be.   If they found out the new logo was not going to be exactly what they had pictured, would they change their vote?  Of course not.

Dude, whatever you say....

I cant wait to support and follow my favorite hockey team everywhere with their new nickname....(?????)........Same love no matter what the name is from me!

Yep, I can't wait to support and follow all of UND's sports teams from everywhere with their new nickname....whatever that new nickname is. ;)

• Upvote 4