SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber Game Thread

bincitysioux

Is there a football only crowd at UND? I don't understand the war that goes on here that seems to be started by football only fans. What's that about. I like all Sioux sports and will be at Missoula next week. Also went to the hockey game last night, and while I hoped to stream football on my phone, had to listen to streaming radio instead. Don't shoot me for liking hockey. I like football and BB as well.

Very disappointing losses the last two weeks, but it's the "football only" crowd on this forum that will eventually keep me away from the Alerus.

Like it or not, the "hockey only" UND fan vs. the "all sports" UND fan is a dynamic that certainly exists.  It always has and it probably always will.  The divide grew exponentially 7 or 8 years ago when UND was looking for a conference home for all of its off-ice sports.  The nickname issue came under more scrutiny and for some reason, a vocal portion of the fan base layed part of the blame for the loss of the nickname at the feet of the football, basketball, volleyball, and all the rest of the sports.  I've heard on numerous occaisons over the years both in person and on this board, usually after a bad loss by either the football or basketball team, comments to the effect of, "we gave up the nickname for this?".  Stuff like that really rubs me the wrong way.

Personally, I consider myself a fan of all sports at UND.  I have season tix for hockey and football, I get to about half of the basketball games, and have been to plenty volleyball games as well the last few years.  I live an hour and a half from GF, so if it doesn't happen on the weekend its not so convenient.  I go to at least one road football game every year, I've been to the Frozen Four, I've been to Mariucci, and I go to the Twin Cities for the conference tournament every year.

Having said all that, I admit that I am often one of the first to jump on a "hockey only" poster when they appear.  The attitude of a very vocal minority (hopefully they are a minority) has actually soured me just a tiny bit on the hockey program as a whole.  I stayed home from the hockey game last night, because I would rather watch UND play a DI football team online than watch them beat up on DII Bemidji on the ice.  5 years ago it would have taken an act of congress to keep me away from the REA on a Saturday night for a regular season game.

But enough about me.  Hope you enjoy yourself in Missoula next week, I hear it is a great atmosphere there.  We are actually kicking around the idea of driving out for that one too, but will be a last minute decision if we do.  Our designated yearly trip this year is Cal Poly in November.  We also did NDSU, so would be awesome to hit 3 road games in one year.

Edited by bincitysioux
  • Upvote 2

If studsrud was not injured last game or Reyes would play last 2 games.  Either one just one of those two situations we would be 6-1.   Injures have been costly.

That  may or may not be true.  Either way we should have won both games. We have enough talent to be in the games yet some think we don't have enough to win them. Doesn't make sense. Last two games were winnable with the kids who played. These kids need to learn to finish and they need to learn to win. Same with coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

I think UND has a lot of crappy fans and it is one of the reasons I will take a break from the board from time to time because it gets old.  Hell, anyone that calls for a successful coach to be fired is a steaming pile and we have a lot of those at UND. 

Bubba isn't going anywhere, nor should he.  I think he will turn things around, but it will take some time.  Saying that, I also don't think criticism from time to time is a bad thing.  The last two weeks deserve a little criticism due to the major 4th quarter collapses.  #toughlovecovenant

Like it or not, the "hockey only" UND fan vs. the "all sports" UND fan is a dynamic that certainly exists.  It always has and it probably always will.  The divide grew exponentially 7 or 8 years ago when UND was looking for a conference home for all of its off-ice sports.  The nickname issue came under more scrutiny and for some reason, a vocal portion of the fan base layed part of the blame for the loss of the nickname at the feet of the football, basketball, volleyball, and all the rest of the sports.  I've heard on numerous occaisons over the years both in person and on this board, usually after a bad loss by either the football or basketball team, comments to the effect of, "we gave up the nickname for this?".  Stuff like that really rubs me the wrong way.

Personally, I consider myself a fan of all sports at UND.  I have season tix for hockey and football, I get to about half of the basketball games, and have been to plenty volleyball games as well the last few years.  I live an hour and a half from GF, so if it doesn't happen on the weekend its not so convenient.  I go to at least one road football game every year, I've been to the Frozen Four, I've been to Mariucci, and I go to the Twin Cities for the conference tournament every year.

Having said all that, I admit that I am often one of the first to jump on a "hockey only" poster when they appear.  The attitude of a very vocal minority (hopefully they are a minority) has actually soured me just a tiny bit on the hockey program as a whole.  I stayed home from the hockey game last night, because I would rather watch UND play a DI football team online than watch them beat up on DII Bemidji on the ice.  5 years ago it would have taken an act of congress to keep me away from the REA on a Saturday night for a regular season game.

But enough about me.  Hope you enjoy yourself in Missoula next week, I hear it is a great atmosphere there.  We are actually kicking around the idea of driving out for that one too, but will be a last minute decision if we do.  Our designated yearly trip this year is Cal Poly in November.  We also did NDSU, so would be awesome to hit 3 road games in one year.

I understand why you decided to stay home to watch the football game.  There was likely more on the line for the football team last night.

Like it or not, Bemidji's hockey program is not a whole lot different than UND's football program.  There are a lot of similarities if you sit back and really think about it.  

• Upvote 1

While I too am disappointed that we failed to finish off the last two games, ultimately I really can't be too upset about the way the season has gone. Considering what Bubba inherited, two recruiting classes are not enough to built the depth necessary to withstand such a slew of injuries on defense. People can call that an excuse if they want, but this program does not have much depth right now and that should not be a huge surprise. If it's still this way after three or four years, then criticism is probably warranted. Now? Probably not, IMO.

About the only real criticism I have--and I'm not even sure whether this is entirely fair--is that I would have liked to have seen the addition of at least one receiver by now who could have made an immediate impact. 

• Upvote 3

There is still some opportunity for a degree of redemption for this football team as the rest of the season plays out. Both of the MT teams are still up, including MSU at home. I will be onboard following  the team the rest of the way. Last year we won the final two games behind electrifying performances from Garman. But the coaching staff must be able to react to late game adjustments from the opposition.

I understand why you decided to stay home to watch the football game.  There was likely more on the line for the football team last night.

Like it or not, Bemidji's hockey program is not a whole lot different than UND's football program.  There are a lot of similarities if you sit back and really think about it.  

and here we go again.  someone says something negative about hockey playing a supposed DII Bemidji State hockey and you belittle the UND (our) football team in the process . you say that you support the football team but to make your point you run them down again. 

The original post made no sense, by the way, since BSU was in the Frozen Four a few years ago.

Edited by Siouxperman8
  • Upvote 2

did anyone notice who dressed this game? He might not even be the next qb if something were to happen.

Assuming you're referencing Heidlebaugh being on the trip.  He was brought with for an emergency situation only, which would have required both Bartels and Mollberg going down. Pretty sure I heard them say that Studsrud didn't even make the trip, makes sense to bring Brad with to give him a chance to get a feel for road trips and whatnot. Can't imagine the staff had any desire to burn his redshirt unless absolutely necessary (see last year....).

Do you really think the FB fans in this thread brought up hockey?   No.  As usual its the other way around.  Go back and look before you start admonishing a fan base.  

Exactly. Sprig needs to read the thread before posting accusations. 

Edited by Cratter

Assuming you're referencing Heidlebaugh being on the trip.  He was brought with for an emergency situation only, which would have required both Bartels and Mollberg going down. Pretty sure I heard them say that Studsrud didn't even make the trip, makes sense to bring Brad with to give him a chance to get a feel for road trips and whatnot. Can't imagine the staff had any desire to burn his redshirt unless absolutely necessary (see last year....).

I really hope that doesn't happen again. I wonder if Brady however, make a big move up the depth chart next year... say QB #2?

Exactly. Sprig needs to read the thread before posting accusations. 

I've read far to many threads with "hockey only fan" accusations to read any more. I only have a rudimentary understanding of the whole mess. At any rate, if I'm going to get pissy with anyone in a forum, it will only be for those from other fan bases that come to stir things up here (bison, gophers, others, and I'm unlikely to post anything). There is  already more than enough infighting among Sioux/North Dakota fans here.

And I didn't accuse any ONE of anything.

Edited by sprig

This is an accusation. 

Sounds like it is. So, to avoid getting involved in these arguements with other Sioux fans, which apparently I now have, I'll log out and leave the forum to those that love to argue with each other. Have a good one. Bye

Edited by sprig

After a tough loss, especially after the second tough loss in a row......I like to stay away from the board for the few hours after the game.....it's so easy to get real upset and want to throw everybody under the bus.  Which I know the minutes after the end of the game.....I sure want to.   But when I step back and look at it, and look at our team.......I look at a second year coach and a team that still has a number of positions to increase the talent level at, as well as depth....which will come with time (hopefully soon).  So I look at our team and I think about so many things that we are missing and are not where we want them to be (need better WR's, defensive backs, a more solid QB to name just a few).  And even with all of that, we are two 4th quarter 14 point blown leads.....from being 6-1.   And I truly believe if we were not missing 4 starters on defense the last two weeks, we win both of them and are sitting at 6-1 (ok lets say we just win 1 of those two if we had all 4 starters and are 5-2...still pretty good).  I am as frustrated as anybody though that we couldn't pull those two games out however.   Lets remember this Weber team just beat Montana.....in Montana.  But I'm sure some of you will say.....but MT's QB's were hurt and they were on 3rd string QB.  Those are the same people who will say......doesn't matter if we don't have 4 starters on defense, the next guy needs to step up and fill in at the same level.  And I do realize that our offense made enough mistakes which if they played better we could have overcome this and still won. 

Anyway, even though this sucks right now.....to me the fact that most of us feel we are missing the talent needed in many positions and we are still competing at a pretty high level bodes well.  Once we get those players and more depth, I have no doubt we will consistently be a top 10-15 team or better, and making runs at Championships.

Second half adjustments.  I do feel like we got out coached in the second half the last two weeks.  However when you have twice as much offense as the other team in the first half like against Weber, which team do you think needs to make adjustments?  We had scored 17 points in the first half....which easily could have been 24 if we didn't blow the 2nd and goal from the 4 yard line.   I'm probably not going to make a lot of adjustments to that during half time.  However I do agree that once the other team makes their half time adjustments, we definitely have not reacted to it well to it in the third quarter...and that is on the coaches.   Particularly offensively needs to adjust in second half and make changes.  Defensively....with the guys on the field the last two weeks I'm not sure Bill Belichick could scheme up a game plan to totally stop teams that want to do up tempo and throw it around on us.  That said, I'm disappointed that one of our guys....couldn't make a big play somewhere.  That 3rd and 13 on about our 40 yard line that went for a TD was a killer. 

Bottom line after these two weeks, both coaches and players need to improve....there is enough blame to go around.  But lets not forget that two years ago we were getting blown out by 30 multiple times a year.  Every game other than NDSU has been close, and we really should have won every game other than NDSU.  Geez.......sorry I really got long winded! .

• Upvote 1

Sounds like it is. So, to avoid getting involved in these arguements with other Sioux fans, which apparently I now have, I'll log out and leave the forum to those that love to argue with each other. Have a good one. Bye

Nah....don't leave.  I think he was just trying to point out that it wasn't a "football only" fan that started the hockey comments.    Can't we all just get along :)

While I too am disappointed that we failed to finish off the last two games, ultimately I really can't be too upset about the way the season has gone. Considering what Bubba inherited, two recruiting classes are not enough to built the depth necessary to withstand such a slew of injuries on defense. People can call that an excuse if they want, but this program does not have much depth right now and that should not be a huge surprise. If it's still this way after three or four years, then criticism is probably warranted. Now? Probably not, IMO.

About the only real criticism I have--and I'm not even sure whether this is entirely fair--is that I would have liked to have seen the addition of at least one receiver by now who could have made an immediate impact. 

I wouldn't even call the first class a real recruiting class; the coaches had only a couple of months to put it together. Let's call it one and one-half recruiting classes.

I wouldn't even call the first class a real recruiting class; the coaches had only a couple of months to put it together. Let's call it one and one-half recruiting classes.

I certainly agree that the first recruiting class was challenging given the very short time-frame. The fact that so many of them are playing and playing a lot is a tribute to the job the staff did under difficult circumstances.

Lot's of reasons to stop the run first, but if you can't think of any I really don't have a lot of hope in your understanding of football in general.  Tough loss and I will agree the mental mistakes are a huge problem but this team is still leaps and bounds ahead of what it was 3 years ago. 

you're probably referring to a comment I made earlier and I should've elaborated.  teams are finding there's no need to establish the run when we do not adjust our defense.  last week against ISU was ridiculous.   we let two guys dominate us with no attempt to double or jam them at the line.  linebackers dropping into coverage isn't always the answer.   nickel package?   I realize we have personnel issues...  but there has to be a better answer than what we have witnessed recently.

Weber threw 13 passes the week before.  Last night they threw 35 for 3 TDs.   We will face a barrage of passing attacks the rest of the way.  Concentrating on stopping the run will be like winning a battle, but ultimately losing the war.

you're probably referring to a comment I made earlier and I should've elaborated.  teams are finding there's no need to establish the run when we do not adjust our defense.  last week against ISU was ridiculous.   we let two guys dominate us with no attempt to double or jam them at the line.  linebackers dropping into coverage isn't always the answer.   nickel package?   I realize we have personnel issues...  but there has to be a better answer than what we have witnessed recently.

Weber threw 13 passes the week before.  Last night they threw 35 for 3 TDs.   We will face a barrage of passing attacks the rest of the way.  Concentrating on stopping the run will be like winning a battle, but ultimately losing the war.

Back when we were healthy I remember seeing a set with Reyes Johnson and Arnell on the field at the same time. That set would've been nice to have against ISU and in the fourth quarter against Weber.

The staff should certainly be evaluating themselves and looking for improvement, but it's way too early in the process for the AD to be looking at making changes. If Bubba decided a change needs to be made, that'd be different. 

Ditto  also ditto to injuries and a young team!

At least the Bison lost

• Downvote 1

Point is with the injuries our staff feels the base personnel is better than bringing in a nickel back for a linebacker.  Just because our secondary started off this season as much improved over previous years doesn't mean we are at a high level.  Without Reyes in the line-up our secondary is pretty weak.  With him in, average.  An Average secondary won't cut it in the BSC. 

As a team, outside of Santiago, Ratelle, and Reyes to a certain extent we don't have any real difference makers on this year's team.  We need more difference makers thru player development, recruiting, transfers........however the hell we get them, we need more special players.  

USD corners didn't seem to have any problem yesterday with one-on-one match ups with NDSU.........we did.

Agree on the coaching adjustments.......we seem to be out of ideas by the 4th quarter.