SiouxSports.com Forum

ISU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

I agree that with the lead we had and being at home that we should have been able to grind that game out with our running game regardless of who was at QB. 

I also agree greed about the qb. Playing our version of the prevent all game didn't work out clearly. They obviously couldn't run on us, no one can, but it never works to sit back and "cover". It's too easy for a qb to sit back and not worry about a rush.

I will try to explain the softness and strategy.  ISU often runs a run blocking scheme up front, but their o-line will stay within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.  The receivers run their routes for a pass play in combination with the modified run blocking and therefore, every play the QB can give it to the RB or can pass.  We decided to stop the run and play coverage, and this was effective for over half the game and was probably unexpected for ISU.  Our inside backers seemed sucked in a lot when they threw the ball, in no man's land.  I feel ISU adjusted, or threw to their stud WR whenever they needed something and UND failed to counter adjust.  With ISU leading the nation in turnovers........we thought they would make enough mistakes making them grind out drives.  

Also, it was obvious in a game like this our skill players have a ways to go......  If we had a shut down corner like Portland St., we win the game, no doubt.  

I will try to explain the softness and strategy.  ISU often runs a run blocking scheme up front, but their o-line will stay within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.  The receivers run their routes for a pass play in combination with the modified run blocking and therefore, every play the QB can give it to the RB or can pass.  We decided to stop the run and play coverage, and this was effective for over half the game and was probably unexpected for ISU.  Our inside backers seemed sucked in a lot when they threw the ball, in no man's land.  I feel ISU adjusted, or threw to their stud WR whenever they needed something and UND failed to counter adjust.  With ISU leading the nation in turnovers........we thought they would make enough mistakes making them grind out drives.  

Also, it was obvious in a game like this our skill players have a ways to go......  If we had a shut down corner like Portland St., we win the game, no doubt.  

We do need better skill guys and more of them. Another thing that was glaring was 95 for ISU threw our OL around like rag dolls.

In the 1st quarter when we muffed that punt, one of their guys grabbed the ball, sprinted to the 5 yard line and then moonwalked in. The ball was moved back to where ISU recovered it, but that punk is fortunate he didn't get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on that.

perhaps he hheard a whistle.

I would like to see a yard after catch stat.  I didn't have the biggest problem with playing off as I figured they would have a hard time driving the length of the field but they would throw a 5 yard out and we would miss the tackle and give up another ten yards. 

I would like to see a yard after catch stat.  I didn't have the biggest problem with playing off as I figured they would have a hard time driving the length of the field but they would throw a 5 yard out and we would miss the tackle and give up another ten yards. 

Yes, you could see a gap in athleticism with ISU WRs getting open, then getting yards after catch.  Harris lost confidence as the game went on, to the trained eye.

I finally gave up on the web stream when the score was 31 - 22. Checked the score when I shut down eversport and UND was behind 37 - 31 with just under 5 minutes in the game. Must have been half a quarter behind or more.

if you send an email to hajdu about the crappy web stream from saturday he will probably say the that jeff ulmers wrister to the top shelf over in East Germany looked fine on his end.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can the UND Sports Information/Media department update the football schedule page on the website to show the ISU loss?  It's Monday for cripes sake.   

I do see they have the Hockey schedule page updated with the score from the Maine game, which was played 6 hours after the football game.  Hopefully, they can find some time to update the football page this week.  

see my post above you...hadju is too busy tweeting Jason ulmers plus/minus to care about little things like Sioux football...get real

What made me most mad about the stream Saturday was that I had a couple friends over who know nothing about UND football but were interested enough to check it out. Which is awesome because I can't exactly talk UND sports with many people out here. 

Beers were cold and everyone was excited to check out the game...then the constant buffering began and I'm saying the streams have been good in the past. Basically these people give me the benefit of the doubt and the stream makes me look like a fool and UND sports look like a joke. 

• Upvote 4

The spot at the 27 was terrible. ISU got a free half yard. You could see the chain gang lady asking the official about the spot long before the measurement or review. 

The uncalled pass interference was worse. 

But what was the worst was the Studsrud injury. After that the UND offense couldn't move the ball and give the defense a rest. That changed the nature of the game. 

Mentioning the defense, why is Idowu (clearly not at 100%) trying to cover their top receiver 25 yards down field? Do we not have a nickel package or safeties so we have to have OLBs in man coverage on WRs that far down field? 

A couple other notes: Iwarri Smith broke stride and jumped instead of running for the over the shoulder catch from Bartels. It's like he hadn't seen a perfectly placed pass in a while and expected to have to slow down. Kind of the same deal for the TE who made the long catch from Bartels. (What I'm trying to nicely point out is that Studsrud just doesn't lead receivers all that well and they are used to having to adjust even when they don't need to.)

-- on the subject of ISU players lacking class - yes, they were razzed by our students all game. But zero profanity, a lot of heckling, but nothing about mothers, sisters, girlfriends, etc.

After they scored the last touchdown, between 8-10 of their players turned around and openly bantered with the student section. Mildly infuriating. If bubba was their coach, I think we would have seen 8-10 1 game suspensions this morning.

The last one I remember was number 8 taking a bow and saying 'Have a nice homecoming'

A couple other notes: Iwarri Smith broke stride and jumped instead of running for the over the shoulder catch from Bartels. It's like he hadn't seen a perfectly placed pass in a while and expected to have to slow down. Kind of the same deal for the TE who made the long catch from Bartels. (What I'm trying to nicely point out is that Studsrud just doesn't lead receivers all that well and they are used to having to adjust even when they don't need to.)

I noticed a couple very nice throws that Studsrud doesn't seem to make (Bartles also had a really bad throw...probably a timing/miscommunication issue).

But Studsrud is the runner that the coaches seem want the offense to be. 

The Defense lost the game for us on Saturday. (or injuries lost the game).

Edited by Cratter

Meh.  Fans talk sh*t...they talk it back.  Nothing to see there.  

generally I'd agree with that but #94 jacking off with a water bottle and blowing his load at the student section may have been a little over the top.  

Their players have the same attitude as their head coach.  

• Upvote 1