SiouxSports.com Forum

ISU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

To be fair, I am pretty sure he is not in charge of the website.  But somebody else is.  

To add on to that, while he's head of Sports Information, Ryan Powell is actually the one who handles the football team.  Doesn't excuse that it took that long to get updated.

I don't think Studsrud's pass was as bad as it turned out.  Safety had to come up and make a good play.  You can't blame the kid for what he isn't going to be able to do consistently.  He doesn't have a strong arm.  He can make plays but he doesn't have the arm to move this team up and down the field.  He is also dealing with receivers who still as a group are not fundamentally strong.  They struggle to get open and if they aren't open right away they don't move to open spots or come back to the ball.  They don't attack the ball as they should. Were I a QB, I would be at practice early and stay late making sure we were all on the same page when plays break down and making sure they know how to look a ball in, tuck it in and get up field after a catch. Our Oline is better this year but you don't see him able to sit back in the pocket and pick apart a defense like the ISU guy did or Wentz did.  It is the same thing too many of you have thrown Mollberg and Bartels under the bus for.  At all levels it is difficult for a QB to be as effective when they know the rush is always coming fast as opposed to having the confidence to read the defense and deliver the ball on time knowing the oline is protecting them. Studsrud fits what this coaching staff thinks they need. They are very conservative.  He also isn't going to dominate pass run options, rollouts or any QB running game like Wentz can or like the UNI guy did against the AC last weekend.  He is there to manage the game, hand the ball off, minimize mistakes, and pass when necessary and be able to contribute 50-60 yds running th eball. .  He did a decent job Saturday. 

Bartels also did a decent job Saturday. I don't know what he was told at the end of the game.  People guess then think they know what should have happened.  Bartels ran the ball well.  He averaged over 7 yds per carry. As for your earlier comment that Studsrud is a better athlete than either Mollberg or Bartels I disagree.  I think he is quicker and maybe a little faster but you under estimate the athletic ability of the other two. I don't know we can say one is better than the other. I also know some of the experts here will claim I say that only because one of the kids is a DL kid.  (Of course that guy  has more experience than I do. I, having never been around the HS , college, or NFL game as much, would have to defer to him. I only know DL stuff). I had a nice discussion with Phillip Moore and Ron Gustafson after the game Sat night.  You might be surprised that some of our FB alumni don't always see things the same as some of the experts on this board. We are all supportive of what Bubba and his staff are trying to do. We may sometimes disagree on the way to get there but we all know our coaches are the ones at practice and are the ones whose job it is to make decisions. I don't think we have the personel at this time to be one dimensional with the running game and our defense has some areas of concern right now.  We are going to have to throw the ball consistently. Hopefull Bartels will be able to do that this weekend and open thing up for the running game.