SiouxSports.com Forum

ISU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

Also, can we try something else with Iwarri Smith? I am fine with running a sweep with him occasionally but every time he is on the field we have to either run the sweep or fake it? Really?

I agree 100 percent. We haven't even attempted a RB screen this year! We run that sweep to death. The most vanilla offense I've ever seen. People can say the offense put up 31 but who hasn't on that D?

Untimely injuries can be variable in terms of their ultimate impact. For example, do you think an injury to a starting safety (e.g., Reyes) would affect the passing defense more or less than an injury to a backup cornerback? Of course the starter, particularly one of the best starters on the entire team, would be more valuable than a backup player. Bottom line, you can't just say "every team can point to key injuries," because several teams have injuries more impactful than others.

Generalized statements in regards to injuries are often just that: too generalized. 

You'll have to debate that yourself.  I want no part of it.  It's a loser's lament. Winning teams overcome them.  See Kevin Klancher.

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 1

You'll have to debate that yourself.  I want no part of it.  It's a loser's lament. Winning teams overcome them.  See Kevin Klancher.

Spot on. If you are up 15..........@ home.........in the 4th quarter and lose the game and the injury excuse comes up I also want no part of that conversation.

UND blew a game they should won...period. 

• Upvote 1

Spot on. If you are up 15..........@ home.........in the 4th quarter and lose the game and the injury excuse comes up I also want no part of that conversation.

UND blew a game they should won...period. 

And how did they do that? Couldn't move the ball on offense and couldn't get a stop on defense. Last time I checked, the players are the individuals on the field doing that. I'd like UND's chances much better with Studsrud and Reyes, and to argue against that is pure ignorance. 

Could UND have won yesterday considering their injury situation? Of course, but it became a steeper uphill battle with the injuries. Need to execute better and having better players on the field makes that's more likely. 

It's quite comical how some think they could take a bunch of walk-ons off the street and go 11-0 with their football prowess. 

• Upvote 1

With the offense being called the way it is im not sure how Bartels is in front of Mollberg unless he hasn't been cleared for games. It absolutly killed the offense to have Bartels in there because he's passer only and can't escape the rush. In fact he helps out the rush with his poor pocket presence. All of a sudden the d didn't have to respect the qb aspect of the read or fake. That is why we couldn't move the ball aside from the lack of timing and chemistry between Bartels and the offense. He just doesn't fit what they're doing at all. Mollberg would fit better but still not fully. Bottom line, we win that game if Studrud isn't hurt. What's worse is it shouldn't come down to that.

I don't think any of our 4 wins were lucky.  We outplayed our competition 13 of those 16 quarters.  Controlled the games for most of those 13.  

I need to get word on what Studsrud's injury is but I think we win 2 of those 3 games above. Possibly all 3.  We match up better with those teams than a team that runs 3-5 WRs and throws it 60 times a game. 

Montana and MMontana St. could very well Chuck it around nearly as much as ISU did.

I don't I want to hear about injuries, everyone has them.  UND can't lose that game yesterday in that fashion...just can't period.  They lost to a team that is on a four game losing streak, playing on the road for the fourth consecutive week, having given up an average of 63.3 points the last three weeks!  We blew a 15 point lead in the 4th quarter in our homecoming game.  We threw our defensive philosophy of attacking the QB out the window which is baffling...for those of you that want to tell me we did so because of injuries, please tell me how did that new defensive scheme work for us?

• Upvote 3

I don't I want to hear about injuries, everyone has them.  UND can't lose that game yesterday in that fashion...just can't period.  They lost to a team that is on a four game losing streak, playing on the road for the fourth consecutive week, having given up an average of 63.3 points the last three weeks!  We blew a 15 point lead in the 4th quarter in our homecoming game.  We threw our defensive philosophy of attacking the QB out the window which is baffling...for those of you that want to tell me we did so because of injuries, please tell me how did that new defensive scheme work for us?

I agree that with the lead we had and being at home that we should have been able to grind that game out with our running game regardless of who was at QB. 

I also agree greed about the qb. Playing our version of the prevent all game didn't work out clearly. They obviously couldn't run on us, no one can, but it never works to sit back and "cover". It's too easy for a qb to sit back and not worry about a rush.

With the offense being called the way it is im not sure how Bartels is in front of Mollberg unless he hasn't been cleared for games. It absolutly killed the offense to have Bartels in there because he's passer only and can't escape the rush. In fact he helps out the rush with his poor pocket presence. All of a sudden the d didn't have to respect the qb aspect of the read or fake. That is why we couldn't move the ball aside from the lack of timing and chemistry between Bartels and the offense. He just doesn't fit what they're doing at all. Mollberg would fit better but still not fully. Bottom line, we win that game if Studrud isn't hurt. What's worse is it shouldn't come down to that.

I dont get your hate on Bartels at all. You apparently saw something I didn't.  Bartels stayed alive on a few plays were no one was open. He's obviously not as fast as Studsrud, but I don't think he was a liability at all on the ground. He also throws a really nice ball. That ball to smith was a heck of a toss that should have been had. He threw had shoulda been the go ahead bomb... I really jsut don't see his play as a negative yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

I dont get your hate on Bartels at all. You apparently saw something I didn't.  Bartels stayed alive on a few plays were no one was open. He's obviously not as fast as Studsrud, but I don't think he was a liability at all on the ground. He also throws a really nice ball. That ball to smith was a heck of a toss that should have been had. He threw had shoulda been the go ahead bomb... I really jsut don't see his play as a negative yesterday. 

Agree with this - he certainly isn't as mobile, but threw some nice balls - a much better passer than Studsrud (think back to his locked on into coverage pick in the first quarter).  He is not the reason we lost.  Coaching strategies played a big part in this collapse.  

• Upvote 2

81 yards passing in 3 quarters from our starter and 47 yards passing in 4th from reliever.  I just don't think we have any kind of passing game to go to when we need it.

I don't think it is necessarily the QB's fault but we need to find a way to throw for some yardage.  Protection, receivers and play calling are all part of it but we should be able to throw for more yardage when they have to honor the run on defense.

And how did they do that? Couldn't move the ball on offense and couldn't get a stop on defense. Last time I checked, the players are the individuals on the field doing that. I'd like UND's chances much better with Studsrud and Reyes, and to argue against that is pure ignorance. 

Could UND have won yesterday considering their injury situation? Of course, but it became a steeper uphill battle with the injuries. Need to execute better and having better players on the field makes that's more likely. 

It's quite comical how some think they could take a bunch of walk-ons off the street and go 11-0 with their football prowess. 

11-0 no

Beat a bad ISU team at home? yes.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else notice the ISU players on the sideline during the game especially after the missed 4th down at the end? Absolutely classless....

In the 1st quarter when we muffed that punt, one of their guys grabbed the ball, sprinted to the 5 yard line and then moonwalked in. The ball was moved back to where ISU recovered it, but that punk is fortunate he didn't get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on that.

Agree with this - he certainly isn't as mobile, but threw some nice balls - a much better passer than Studsrud (think back to his locked on into coverage pick in the first quarter).  He is not the reason we lost.  Coaching strategies played a big part in this collapse.  

IMO Bartels could be successful in the right situation. But in this particular offense with this particular group of receivers, I'm not sure it's going to work. It appears UND will struggle to throw for much more than 100 yards per game regardless of who is playing quarterback. So we really need somebody who can run for 50-100 yards like Studsrud can. If we still had receivers like Hardin and Golladay, then maybe it's a different story.

I've come to the conclusion that geaux sioux will hate any QB not named Mollberg.   He's so fixated on Mollberg that he can't see anything good about anyone else.   The same could probably be said about him and Ratelle.

So when are we going to get news on Studrud?    I don't get why the staff is being so secretive about his injury.

• Upvote 1

I've come to the conclusion that geaux sioux will hate any QB not named Mollberg.   He's so fixated on Mollberg that he can't see anything good about anyone else.   The same could probably be said about him and Ratelle.

So when are we going to get news on Studrud?    I don't get why the staff is being so secretive about his injury.

Careful, you'll get called out by iramurphy like I was. :p

• Upvote 3

You know why? Because he's the best qb we have when he's 100%. Studsrud is the second best qb we have. The way our offense runs and is called, Studsrud has to be the guy. 

As for Ratelle, he's the best defensive player we've had in about a decade so why would I not be proud of all of his hard work and dedication paying off?