SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: UND at PSU

geaux_sioux

I much prefer studrud locking onto a reciever then bailing outta the pocket and getting sacked the ten times a game he's asked to pass. 

Studsrud is fine for us now, but the ndsu game showed that this team won't be a true contender unless the offense takes the next step. I haven't seen enough flashes from studsrud as a Passer to trust that he eventually will become a guy that will make defenses respect the passing game. 

He has been sacked 10 times in five games this year.  :silly:   Obviously, not all of them were his fault but there were several that I would pin on him not getting rid of it soon enough.

He is still a "young" QB.  By that I mean he did not get the luxury of redshirting for both physical and mental maturation.  Plus that means he has one less spring ball session than a typical freshman, which is huge.  

Studsrud just needs to keep at it and get the finer parts of the passing game down, particularly his touch on the short stuff.  His running ability is what is great right now.  

You do not fix what is not broken (4-1 [2-0]).

Over the last couple games, UND's running game has been superb; Keaton Studsrud has been a big part of that running game. 

Focus on improvement, not change. 

Passing game needs to get better. That consists of not only the quarterback, but also the offensive line and the receivers. 

• Upvote 2

There is no dedicated QB coach at UND - that's a needed coaching position to accelerate development of all QBs at UND. If QBs are a priority - then hire a coach to accelerate their development  and the program.  Given track record of QBs - great talent and slow development across all - seems to be an output of the program on the field no matter which QB is playing.

• Upvote 3

1) You do not fix what is not broken (4-1 [2-0]).

2) Over the last couple games, UND's running game has been superb; Keaton Studsrud has been a big part of that running game. 

3) Focus on improvement, not change. 

4) Passing game needs to get better. That consists of not only the quarterback, but also the offensive line and the receivers. 

I agree with most of this.

1) This is better than even the most optimistic UND fan had coming into this season. Imagine what we thought the possibilities were for this season a year ago. Love it!

2) Very true. I am concerned about the number of hits Studsrud is getting though.

3) We can all agree that there are improvements to be made. I am concerned about the times that Studsrud has time and sees an open receiver and just misses them. Especially the short passes that kills drives. The short pass to an open receiver in the flat for a 5 yard gain that he misses more than he should. Boy if we could just complete the "easy" plays.

4) Very true, improvements need to be made all over. Many of the posters here are talking about the QB improvements though. We could create a whole new thread about each position and all the needs.

Our defense cant be winning all of our games with the offense playing mediocre. Yes we have a great running game but can we rely on it all season? What if we play a good defense and they stop the run? Studs passing straight up scares me. We have been straight up lucky that we have won 3 games since Wyoming. These new injuries also worry me on both sides of the ball. We also should not have won after 4 fumbles that need to stop. Idaho state will be a good test for our backups but the real measuring sticks are still ahead. Gotta love 4-1 but not after playing like we did the last 4 weeks.

Our defense cant be winning all of our games with the offense playing mediocre. Yes we have a great running game but can we rely on it all season? What if we play a good defense and they stop the run? Studs passing straight up scares me. We have been straight up lucky that we have won 3 games since Wyoming. These new injuries also worry me on both sides of the ball. We also should not have won after 4 fumbles that need to stop. Idaho state will be a good test for our backups but the real measuring sticks are still ahead. Gotta love 4-1 but not after playing like we did the last 4 weeks.

in our conference I think you can rely on running the ball and really good defense. I also don't think any of our four wins have been luck. With the exception of 2 quarters vs Drake, we have outplayed everyone. 

Rushing for over 200 yards is not necessarily mediocre. It limits turnovers, increases time of possession, and only makes the defense play better. And yes, I think UND can rely on their running game. Will it take a passing game to complement the running game? Absolutely, but no one should expect UND to start focusing on the passing game anytime soon. Lastly, the wins against Drake, UC Davis, and Portland State were not luck. UND was the better team on offense, defense, and special teams. I would actually argue UND should have won those three games by an even larger margin than they did.

I don't understand how you aren't impressed with a 4-1 start considering last year's squad had no depth and won only 5 games. That train of thought is completely irrational in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Rushing for over 200 yards is not necessarily mediocre. It limits turnovers, increases time of possession, and only makes the defense play better. And yes, I think UND can rely on their running game. Will it take a passing game to complement the running game? Absolutely, but no one should expect UND to start focusing on the passing game anytime soon. Lastly, the wins against Drake, UC Davis, and Portland State were not luck. UND was the better team on offense, defense, and special teams. I would actually argue UND should have won those three games by an even larger margin than they did.

I don't understand how you aren't impressed with a 4-1 start considering last year's squad had no depth and won only 5 games. That train of thought is completely irrational in my opinion. 

Well, when you are so fixated on one particular player (cough, cough, Mollberg, cough, cough) playing again, that is what happens. :p

People also have to understand that the area of the team that was hit the hardest with defections after the coaching change was the offense, more specifically, the WR position. That will take a couple of years to fix. And the O-line is still a work in progress; although it is light years ahead of where it was even last year.

• Upvote 1

Think alot of UND fans are comparing this team to NDSU as the mark to meet.  Montana would not win now against NDSU, as they have improved greatly on defense since the opening game.  

Well, when you are so fixated on one particular player (cough, cough, Mollberg, cough, cough) playing again, that is what happens. :p

People also have to understand that the area of the team that was hit the hardest with defections after the coaching change was the offense, more specifically, the WR position. That will take a couple of years to fix. And the O-line is still a work in progress; although it is light years ahead of where it was even last year.

The WR position can be fixed real quick if you hit on the right recruits. If Tim Dulin is a beast next year paired with Georges and Walker and Stanley  we may have a decent WR group. And who knows, maybe we pull a redshirt on a WR next year and he tears it up.

I thought Bubba recruited 3 great WR's this season. One is the team's leading rusher, the other was hurt the 2nd week (Georges) and the other was hurt last week (Iwarri).

But without them, this team relies a lot on TE's and the running game. Studsrud is going to see more 7-8 in the box than ever.

I thought Bubba recruited 3 great WR's this season. One is the team's leading rusher, the other was hurt the 2nd week (Georges) and the other was hurt last week (Iwarri).

But without them, this team relies a lot on TE's and the running game. Studsrud is going to see more 7-8 in the box than ever.

I think Dulin will be a good player when he puts a little meat on his very lanky frame.

The WR position can be fixed real quick if you hit on the right recruits. If Tim Dulin is a beast next year paired with Georges and Walker and Stanley  we may have a decent WR group. And who knows, maybe we pull a redshirt on a WR next year and he tears it up.

There is the one kid, I think from Red Wing, MN, who sounds like he could be a stud. Next year will be fun, but I'm all about our 4-1 squad at the moment.

1 play, 76 yards
4 plays, 8 yards
2 plays, 1 yard

Those are Portland State's scoring drives. Defense did a pretty damn good job outside the first play of the game (where a running team comes out 5 wide). Fun game to watch, UND controlled the majority of the game but wasn't able to put it away until the very end.  Incredibly encouraging to see the offense string together some plays to run out the clock for the second week in a row. Lots of room for improvement and mistakes to clean up but absolutely no one would have predicted 4-1 at this point. Injuries are obviously a concern right now as depth seems to be the one thing this team doesn't have a lot of at this point.

• Upvote 1

Rushing for over 200 yards is not necessarily mediocre. It

I would agree, UND was chewing up yards and clock and wearing down the PSU defense. I am seeing good things from the UND offense. Also, I thought the passing game was pretty good as well.

The bubble screen should work real well then.