SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: UND at PSU

geaux_sioux

As far as I'm concerned I hope we are unranked as long as possible. Who cares. Just keep winning and that stuff takes care of itself.

Also forgot to mention as it relates to the injuries.  Thought Jawon Johnson and the big boy from Hazen ND Austin  Cieslak played well. Couple of guys stepping up for injured guys. Cieslak is going to be a big time player after a few more years with Baukol. Only a Fr.

• Upvote 2

As far as I'm concerned I hope we are unranked as long as possible. Who cares. Just keep winning and that stuff takes care of itself.

Also forgot to mention as it relates to the injuries.  Thought Jawon Johnson and the big boy from Hazen ND Austin  Cieslak played well. Couple of guys stepping up for injured guys. Cieslak is going to be a big time player after a few more years with Baukol. Only a Fr.

How did Grady look today?

Fingers crossed that Reyes and Anderson are good to go for next week. Gutty win that wasn't pretty but I will take it. Most people picked against us today and it is extra satisfying to prove people wrong. 4-1 feels good and we are at homecoming next week against ISU (Poly is up 21-7 at this point).

ISU worried me. They pass a lot and we know that even full strength we aren't world beaters against the pass.  

Just because they pass heavy doesn't mean they will be effective at doing it. Idaho State has already lost handily a few times this season, including to Portland State (they went to Idaho and beat up on ISU 34-14).

Whether or not Reyes is available for the homecoming game is of importance, though. Without Reyes, UND's secondary is far more vulnerable to big plays. Either way, I see UND running the ball successfully and UND's front 7 getting plenty of pressure on Idaho State's QB. 

• Upvote 1

If Smith can't protect himself he needs to be a wr. Teach him the stuff arm or somthing.

excellent point.  I called his running too hesitant.  If a guy is a strait up and down, not making any cuts or showing an ability to slip hits.......well, you are going to get 'jacked up'.  Smith doesn't appear RB or jet sweep ready.

• Upvote 1

Well Studrud just threw it into quadruple coverage. And an injured UND player as a result. Questionable play call by Rudolph and horrible decision by Studsrud. 

it was quintuple coverage.  I was watching with the Cogswell Cannon.  As bad as the play call was, and it was bad given the success we were having just pounding it, it was a worse decision by Studsrud.  The Cannon said Hedberg always reminded him when calling plays like that, saying if it's not there don't force it.  Our staff must have told Studsrud that 20 times this week, and he will hear it all this next week, too.

• Upvote 2

it was quintuple coverage.  I was watching with the Cogswell Cannon.  As bad as the play call was, and it was bad given the success we were having just pounding it, it was a worse decision by Studsrud.  The Cannon said Hedberg always reminded him when calling plays like that, saying if it's not there don't force it.  Our staff must have told Studsrud that 20 times this week, and he will hear it all this next week, too.

Honest question:   Do we win this game with a different QB? I don't think we do.

Other than the interception I would say Studsrud did very well.

Honest question:   Do we win this game with a different QB? I don't think we do.

Honestly, with a better QB we win by double digits quite easily. Studsrud can't read his progressions at all, he is athletic and that is about it. I often wonder how good we would be with Danny Freund at QB. Studsrud is just terrible outside of his ability to run.

• Upvote 3

Honestly, with a better QB we win by double digits quite easily. Studsrud can't read his progressions at all, he is athletic and that is about it. I often wonder how good we would be with Danny Freund at QB. Studsrud is just terrible outside of his ability to run.

What about a QB on the current roster? 

interesting question.  We have made the decision to go with Studsrud because we need his athleticism as a main offensive weapon.  We are willing to live with some poor throws and in this game, a really bad decision.   We simply don't have the athletes at WR and RBs or the pass protection go with a Molberg or Bartles, guys with big, accurate arms, but are not a running threat.  In the short passing game a QB should complete 65-70% of throws.....but Studsy sure looks good running into the end zone and on the naked boot, and on QB scrambles.  So given what we have player wise and what's in the playbook, hard to make a case we win with anyone other than Studsy.

• Upvote 4

interesting question.  We have made the decision to go with Studsrud because we need his athleticism as a main offensive weapon.  We are willing to live with some poor throws and in this game, a really bad decision.   We simply don't have the athletes at WR and RBs or the pass protection go with a Molberg or Bartles, guys with big, accurate arms, but are not a running threat.  In the short passing game a QB should complete 65-70% of throws.....but Studsy sure looks good running into the end zone and on the naked boot, and on QB scrambles.  So given what we have player wise and what's in the playbook, hard to make a case we win with anyone other than Studsy.

+1000

Studsrud has won more games at this point in his career than the other QBs on the roster did in theirs. They were both given the opportunity early in their careers and couldn't do it. It has been pretty with Keaton but so far, he has been a winner. 

• Upvote 4